Tests for malnutrition
Hi, my question is what tests should I ask my doctor to know my body's full nutritional status? I'd like to test as much as possible. Thanks in advance
Hi there,
Nutritional screening in adults should be quick and simple. Body mass index is a useful test done to assess nutritional status. It is weight in kg/height in m2.It may  be unreliable in the presence of edema or ascites.Anthropometric measurements like skin fold thickness, mid arm circumference can provide a clue about the nutritional status. Measurements of biochemical markers like serum proteins, serum electrolytes are other tests which can be done. Any system of assessment should have practical usefulness, either to identify those adults who need intervention, or to know the prevalence of malnutrition in the society which can be corrected by preventive measures. Consult a nutritionist and a physician for more details.
Best of luck and regards!