Nutrition Expert Forum
The right diet to reduce oxalates

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

The right diet to reduce oxalates
Dear doctor,

Lately i've been diagnosed with oxalates in urine. I have to change the diet except drinking a lot of water. Could you advice me or suggest any website knowing what foods should i be careful to.

Thank you.
S.
The foods to be avoided are the following: Alcohol drinks (especially beer), sweetbreads, anchovies, sardines, liver, beef liver, brains, meat extracts, herring, mackerel, scallops, game meats, and gravies. Drink fluids 2-3 L daily which helps to dilute the uric acid (oxalates). Consume moderate amounts of meat, fish and poultry to 4-6oz per day; lentils, dried peas, beans; oatmeal, wheat germ; and asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, mushrooms, green peas. Choose lower fat dairy products, tofu, eggs, leaner meats and foods with less oils/butter. Follow a well balanced diet to help lose weight, if overweight, which will help decrease Gout. Avoid going on a high protein/low carbohydrate diet for weight loss due to worsening Gout condition.  Hoped that helped you.