Nutrition Community
Tired and low energy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Tired and low energy

So I have been noticing a general trend over the past year or so that I have been much lower energy that I used to be.  I am a 27 year old male.  I have been to the doctor for a blood workup and nothing was found.  I drink about 9 cups of water a day, work out 4 times a week.

I am in the process of losing weight (lost 50lbs in the past 7 months) but am following a dietician prescribe plan at 1900 cals a day.  Almost everything I eat is from scratch, often organic, I eat almost no processed foods.  I eat very few sugars and fats, minimal carbs, lots of veggies, fruits and proteins.  I typically don't eat breakfast because I sleep a bit later than most.

As for sleep I usually get 8-9 hours, I typically go to bed around 1am and sleep till 10:30, it is a bit of an off schedule, but I find it suits me better and it is regular.   I feel like I sleep well and don't have suspicions of any sleep disorders.  

I do notice lulls when about 30ish minutes after meals, but then again, no fats, sugars, or carbs, just lots of protein and vegetables.(which do have some sugars, but they are minimal and higher quality).  I don't have any diebeties, my blood test would have showed it.  

Should I be worried?  What things could I try to boost energy levels?  Suggestions?
Hey Ryan.

You could try Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. Just replace all fats and oils in your cooking with
EVCO. You could use it over steamed vegetables or on your toast instead of butter.
Start with 2T daily and gradually build up to 4T daily. It gets converted to energy very fast
and it does not store as fat. It is great for the digestive and G.I system, great for brain energy and also good for the cardiovascular system.
It is anti-fungal, anti-viral, anti-parasitic, anti-bacterial and it causes no inflammation
when heated in cooking (unlike all other fats and oils).
No wonder the canola and soy industry in the 80's created all the propaganda against coconut oil (being a saturated fat and it will clog your arteries).
Do a search for more info: www.coconutresearchcenter.com

It seems that you're doing everything right. Have your minerals checked-not blood tests-
but hair analysis, as it is more accurate.   Signs and symptoms of magnesium deficiency can include fatigue and low energy, for example.
This would not show up on any blood test, as Mg in the body is 99% outside the blood.
Hope this helps.
Blessings,
Nikodicreta
Hey Ryan.

Hope this helps.
Blessings,
Nikodicreta
Do you think it could be the fact I don't eat breakfast?  Since I wake up later, I usually wait till lunch and feel awake until after.  

Right now I cook with only Olive oil, I don't use butter or margarine, I'll check out coconut oil.  
Your circardian biorhythm may be off a bit, because of your schedule.
And that may be a contributing factor to your low energy and fatigue issue.

I personally sleep very little and rather late, however, with all the work that I do,
(I am my own best client!),  have successfully re-programmed my sub-conscious mind
to function the way I want, for the best possible outcome, in many areas of my life!

Olive oil is great, as long as you do not heat it up! It is pro-inflammatory in higher temperatures. So save your body from using up more energy in dealing with this effect.
Add olive oil at the end of the cooking. You may use a little coconut oil to start.
I grew up with olive oil (we had our own olive trees in Crete) and we used cupfuls in our cooking. This took place in the days that the Cretan Diet was truly a Godsent way of life. All food was fresh pure and natural, using no commercial fertilizers no additives, with all the rich nutrients intact, that were meant to get in our body and help us deal with anything that was invasive.
Today with manufactured, processed and g.m. foods, corporate farming and everything
else that disempowers our body and promotes disease, it's a far cry from those days!
And when disease arrives, we depend on manufactured chemicals to reclaim our health.
So of course, we need to watch everything we do, scrutinize what we consume and keep  constantly educating ourselves, in order to have a greater chance to live better.
Take care.
Blessings,
Nikodicreta
You may be low in vitamin D, did you have it checked?