Nutrition Community
Too much Aqua

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Too much Aqua

I know this may be a silly question, but how much water is too much? I know I need to drink a solid 8 glasses a day, but there are days I go way over and drink like 12 or more. Is this OK? How much is too much?
Drinking too much water rarely causes overhydration when the body's systems are working normally.

On the other hand, people with heart, kidney, or liver disease are more likely to develop overhydration because their kidneys are unable to excrete water normally. It may be necessary for people with these disorders to restrict the amount of water they drink and/or adjust the amount of salt in their diets.

Hope this helps!
Over hydrating can actually be quite serious.
The sodium and other bits around your cells get diluted, whe that happens it will slowly seep into your cells and cause them to swell, something to do with the osmotic pressure in your body.

Well, you know blood takes a cycle aroumd the body before coming back to the heart right, so this diluted blood may end up reaching the brain, limbs ect.
So if your hands and feet get a bit swollen it might be a sign to cut it back a bit.
But when these swollen cells reach the brain, it will most definitely cause the brain to swell to.... Leading to death.

So be careful not to drink too much yeah? :)
Hope I was helpful!!

Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
gymdandee commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
Paxiled commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
Dee1956 commented on THIS NEW FORUM STINKS...
Jul 22
Track your weight over time