Nutrition Expert Forum
Tracking Food Intake

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Tracking Food Intake

I know that if you don't eat enough calories you stop burning them and can actually gain weight.  My question is - is it necessary to count the calories in most vegetables?  I had been using another site's tracker and the vegetables, most of them up to a point, were free.
I've been counting them, even though they add up to very little, but am wondering if I should continue to track them but add more calories from other foods such as proteins and grains.
I've had at least 10-15 lbs. extra most of my life with a weight problem that I was born with.  To stay at an "ideal" weight I need to become obsessive and exercise a minimum of 1 hour each day & track everything I eat.  
For eight years I was able to maintain my weight between 116-120 by doing the following every day:  10 mile bike ride with avg. speed of 16 mph; walking my kids to school and back - added up to 2 miles for me; free weights; and 20 minutes on a rowing machine.  When I went back to work full time and cut back on the exercise 30 lbs. caught up with me almost immediately.  I switched to a factory job where I was on my feet - dropped the weight.  Was moved back to an office job in the same plant - 20 lbs. right back on - all while tracking my daily intake.
I have numerous books on nutrition, have taken college nutrition courses, and am a former leader for you-know-who with the initials that start with a W.  
It's just what I have to deal with.  I don't want to become obsessed again since it just makes life less enjoyable.

Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'1"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
132
Vegetables are consisted 'free' as part of a meal except starchy vegetables - corn, potatoes, beans, etc. which need to be counted due to amount of carbohydrates in them. Thank you for your question.