Nutrition Community
Uncooked Steel Cut Oats
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Uncooked Steel Cut Oats

I am currently adding uncooked steel cut oats to my morning shake. I am curious if I am still getting the same nutritional value from the uncooked oats as if I were cooking them? Thank you for your help
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
757137_tn?1347200053
It surely doesn't matter that much. I am all for healthy eating, but...
Blank
Steel cut oats are partially cooked so they can be cut, but eating them uncooked will make them impossible to digest.  At best, they're passing through, worthless, at worst, they're getting stuck somewhere.  Why would you want to eat partially raw oats?  If you want the fiber, put oat bran in your shake.  Not nutritional value, but it will provide soluble fiber that helps with cholesterol.  If you want to be able to digest the oats, cook them and eat them -- probably much more nutritious than what's in your shake, if it's a high sugar or synthetic sugar protein shake.  For even more nutrition, cook whole oats -- they have all the nutrients of oats, but they take a long time to cook.  If you insist on eating something chewy in your shake, use rolled oats, and roast them to complete the cooking process.
Blank
But I should have added, chewing is the first part of the digestive process, so eating solid food without chewing it makes it hard or impossible to fully digest.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Nutrition Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...