Nutrition Community
Vegan Protein

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Vegan Protein

I'm a vegan and I am have a horrible protein deficiency, I was wanting to know if anyone knew of any good protein sources for vegans. Since I can't consume milk or eggs, it's hard to find a protein shake or anything like that. So, do you guys know any vegan protein sources? It would be appreciated. Thank you!
First, how do you know you have a protein deficiency?  Did a doctor or nutritionist test you and tell you that, or are you just assuming?  As for being vegan, if you're going to do that you have to know more than others how to eat properly.  You don't need animal foods to get protein -- nuts, seeds, and beans are all excellent sources of protein.  Soy is the most complete of vegetable proteins that you can make a lot of things with, but any bean combined with a whole grain usually gives you a pretty complete protein.  You don't need a protein shake, nobody does, for proper health -- shakes are either a shortcut for people in a hurry or for people trying to add lean muscle.  Otherwise, you should get plenty from your regular meals.  But any health food store (and that doesn't include GNC) has protein supplements made from soy or rice or hemp or almonds that doesn't require you to eat animal food.  Keep in mind that a vegan diet is an ideological diet, not based on how anyone has ever eaten naturally, so it takes more work to make it work.
Check out YouTube loads of info out there. Plus. Dana McDonald I think her name is. She is a registered dietian on YouTube love her videos. As well as colleen Patrick goudreau
Thank you so much. My doctor told me that I had a protein deficiency, I never self diagnose. I have a very busy schedule, between work and school, and have a hard getting the vitamins I need. There's some days that I don't eat anything all day because of my busy schedule. I've been a vegan for a year now (I was a vegetarian for eight years before coming vegan). I am going to be a vegan for the rest of my life.
Anyway, I got a little off topic. I appreciate your answer so much! Thank you, it really means a lot!