Nutrition Community
Virgin olive oil, what are the benefits.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

I have heard olive oil can prevent cancer, is also a natural pain killer, and reduces cholesterol. Is this true, are there any other benefits and should it be Virgin alive oil or will normal olive oil do the same job.
You should use Olive Oil only for non cooking purposes. If you are going to cook look into Virgin Coconut Oil.

Here is a link into coconut oil:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm

As for Olive Oil the best are the virgin and extra virgin as they have the most health benefits. But these should not be cooked with and used as a salad dressing, or to dress a fish or other meal after cooking. As heat can turn the oil rancid and release carcinogens.
Olive trees are naturally immune to most pests from what I have read in the past and therefore don't require pesticide or herbicide chemicals, etc.

The type of fat in the olive is unsaturated i.e. the molecular bonds on the fat molecules have one or two free openings for electrons? i.e. to scavange free radicals wandering through the body?. The unsaturated classification is based on how many molecular openings there are on the fat type. Example one opening is a mono,  two or more is a poly (multiple) unsaturated or multiple unbonded openings in the molecular structure.

You can look up fats and the animal and plant origins in nutrition books, etc. it is fascinating. Check the visual image of bonded and unbonded molecules from books, studies, and research articles.

Some other oils have been genetically altered - not good for a person
I was wondering where you got your information on cooking with olive oil.  Everything I read tells me cooking with olive oil is good for your health.  I have Breast cancer and I heard its good in preventing.  Let me know, I don't need to be using something that could trigger more cancer. Thanks
Thanks!
http://www.mercola.com/2003/oct/15/cooking_oil.htm

according to him mono olive oil readily turn rancid and can become carciogenic when exposed to high heat. He advocates cooking with virgin coconut oil and olive oil for things like salad and to add to a dish after cooking.

I wouldn't suggest following everything he says but when it comes to this he seems to be right.
hi

As a Food Technologist I would suggest not to cook with  coconut oil, as it would raise your chloesterol level.It is always better to go with either extra virgin olive oil or soyabean oil or corn oil.Coconut oil can be used for the growth of hair and for elegant skin.And moreover coconut can be used only to special dishes found in Indian cooking.

For eg--(A)  Avial- A dish made out with vegetables and yogurt
        (b)  some kutuuu---a dish made out with pumpkin