Nutrition Expert Forum
Vitamin B12 below range. Need more info

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Vitamin B12 below range. Need more info

I am a 20 year old male. I got my Complete Blood Count test (CBC) and also Vitamin B12 test done (I had symptoms of memory loss, depression and mania and read about Vit B12 deficiency online which had listed similar symptoms).

I have attached the diagnostic reports of my tests as a photo.

My reports of Complete Blood Count test indicate all values within range but the Vitamin B12 test shows 95 pg/ml whereas the reference range given for comparison is 211-946 pg/ml.

I am vegetarian but I do drink milk

1) Does the report warrant medical attention?
2) What diagnostic tests are further needed to detect possible dietary deficiency or absorption problems in body?
3) Could I be having some type of anemia?
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Male
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5 feet 6.5 inches
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
59
As a vegetarian you should be getting all your vitamins and minerals from the foods you ate except Vitamin B12 and maybe Calcium (if you have a history of bone disease in your family). Vitamin B12 supplementation you need to take because it comes from meat sources and it not available through vegetarian diet. Calcium supplementation may be needed if your intake is on the lower side depending on what you eat and your bone density. It is important to eat the right combination of foods so you have the proper proteins and nutrients for your body too. Eat non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, soy cheese & pasta, salads with nuts & seeds), substitute dairy products (low fat soy milk/soy yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal). Recommend you read up on vegetarian and combinations of starches / vegetables and beans / nuts for protein, calcium, and other nutrients. Good sources of information are the American Dietetic Association website, www.eatright.org and Vegetarian Resource Group website, www.vrg.org. Hoped this helped you.
The report photo is here : https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6QVoJzoDwmTCmgmEaeY5DrO0DCmK4sasAt3uXzxD2Nc?feat=directlink