Nutrition Expert Forum
Vitamin D supplements-which ones?

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Vitamin D supplements-which ones?

I found out my Vitamin D level is 11.3, and was told by Dr. to take supplements.  My question is, are capsules better than pills, and should I take small doses throughout the day, or one or two large doses.  I was told to take at least 2000 mg daily or more.
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'6"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
180 lbs
If you (or the subject of the question) is under 18, please state your age:
:  
57
Vitamin D may decrease from certain medications such as certain anti-seizure, corticosteroids, heparin, certain antibiotics, mineral oil, and antacids; or certain disease states such as celiac disease, Crohn’s disease and Whipple’s disease. The recommended Vitamin D dose for women is 400 IU. You should not go over in supplementation. 2000 IU is the tolerable upper intake level for adults; supplementation over that may cause a risk for toxicity (weak muscles, weak bones, excessive bleeding, and kidney stones). It can be taken once a day. Vitamin D is available through our foods - Fortified milk, breakfast cereals, egg yolks, fatty fish, and fish oils. Sit at a window with the sun shining in for about 1/2 hour (few times a week) and that will help you get enough Vitamin D. You did not mention your Calcium levels and suggest getting it checked, too.
Make sure you use vitamin D3.  I understand that we get told not to take more than 2,000 iu/day, but when the levels are low we actually need more than that in order to raise the level up to normal.  This is why we're given the weekly megadose of vitamin D2 when our levels are so low.  By the way, when my doctor first tested my vitamin D level, it was only 8, which is even lower than where you're at now.

So, I was to take the weekly megadose (50,000 iu Vitamin D2 prescription), plus I was to take 2,000 iu Vitamin D3 (natural) everyday.  Both my conventional doctor (PCP) and my naturopath told me this was the equivalent of taking 5,000 iu of vitamin D everyday, which was needed in order to boost the vitamin D level.

I've been taking capsules myself.  My purpose in taking the capsules is because where I get my vitamin D3 I can get it for less than if I were to buy it at the discount vitamin store just around the corner.  I do believe that the point that matters is that it is natural vitamin D3, and that you are able to tolerate the form that you take.  Both of my doctors told me that you can take the vitamin D at any time of the day, and you can take it all at once.  The point is that the body does have a way of storing vitamin D, which is how humans survive the lack of sun exposure during the long winter months.

Make sure you test your vitamin D levels about every six months, so you can monitor your levels.  When my doctor learned how much I was taking everyday, she decided she better check it because she was concerned that it was too much for me.  It turned out that my instinct was right on the mark, as I am still maintaining low normal level.  If you're not too sensitive to the sun, be sure to get some natural sun exposure during the summer months.  

There is good information about vitamin D on mercola.com (use the search engine) and on the Vitamin D Council's website.
Thanks, furballsmom, for the info.  I think I would be better off taking a prescrition for Vit D until I get my level up, but am having a hard time getting in contact with my MD because he is only there on Thursdays.  In the meantime I'm taking 2000 iu two or three times a day, hopefully that will help till I get in contact with my Dr.  My levels were very low three years ago, and I brought them up.  I haven't had them rechecked until now, and was surprised to see they're so low again.  Thanks again.