Nutrition Expert Forum
Weight loss

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Weight loss
I have had alot of abd. surgery with 2 ilostomies for by pass surgery to repair rectum from damage. I have had IBS all my adult life. Due to manipulation of intestines to take down iliostomies I have alot more diarrhea and am told /malabsorption. There are alot of foods that I need to eat for reduced calories/weight loss but have so violent diarrhea that it makes me dehydrated .. this defeats all I try to do. I need to lose weight due to neuropathies I have from GI surgeries and arthritis.. Any help would be appreciated...

BrendaT1959
Would you state if there are any foods you can tolerate? Thank you
I can tolerate chicken in limited amounts. but salads I can't
I am sorry, however, to help you I need to know if there are any foods besides chicken you can eat? If you can list them, that would help me. Thank you.
I can tolerate foods one day and not the next. chicken , steak, fish, green beans, green peas, rice, potatoes, strawberries, oranges, some apples. peaches, pickles, beets, oatmeal. Does this help some??
Thank you for the list. It is difficult when you have issues with your bowel. Suggest you try to consume high protein, fat foods which I see you are mostly consuming. If you want steak, then eat a high grade, lower fat cut. Since you have diarrhea, suggest avoiding coffee, concentrated sweets, and an excess intake of fiber (nuts, seeds, whole grains, legumes, leafy greens), however, insoluble fiber is desired (oatmeal, pectin in apple, fruit). Until your diarrhea is in control, suggest not eating strawberries due to the small seeds. Have you been checked for lactose intolerance which diarrhea is one of its symptoms? Suggest doing exercise, such as walking, to help you with weight loss due to your medical issues and low tolerance to food.