Nutrition Community
Weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Weight loss

How many calories should I eat each day to lose a healthy amount of weight each week. I am a 6 foot 1 inch male, 28 years old and weigh 261 pounds.
Hi and Welcome to MedHelp!  

Based on being male, 6'1" tall, 261 lbs, 28 years old and selecting a somewhat active lifestyle (moderate exercise 2-3 times a week), it takes 2,700 calories a day to MAINTAIN your weight.

For each pound you wish to lose, and it is suggested 1-2 pounds per week, you will need to create a calorie deficit of 3,500 calories.  You can also accomplish this by exercising and burning the additional calories.  So, if you lower your caloric intake by 500 calories a day (500 x 7 days a week = 3,500 calories per week), you will lose one pound.  If you do exercise throughout the week that equals 3,500 calories burned, you will lose an additional pound per week.

Please be careful to eat enough calories to prevent your body from going into starvation mode and reaching a plateau or losing too much weight too quickly as you can do damage by having your body use muscle instead of fat.  Remember, your heart is the largest muscle in your body.

Best wishes .. feel free to join us in the Weight Loss & Dieting community .. as we're doing a year long challenge to help each other losing weight in a healthy nutritional and physical manner.

Ranae
I found a wonderful website that is helping me to maintain my goal calorie intake try it out. Also it tells you what your calorie intake should be to lose 1 to 2 pounds in a week.

w w w . L i v e s t r o n g . c o m

Take out all the spaces. The big bonus of this website it is free and gives you great exercise ideas as well.