Nutrition Community
Weight problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Weight problem

Hello! I'm 20 years old! I been having weight problem all my life! I weight 260 pound and I'm 5"7! I have struggle to lose weight for years! It seems so hard to lose weight! I have high blood pressure and anxiety! I want get rid of my high blood pressure and I wondering can give me some tips to lose weight and eat healthy?
You sound like want to loose weight, and given that you already have high blood pressure, I commend you on trying to make an effort to do so.

There are many ways to loose weight, and I only provide the approach that works best for food addicts. In a general way, I would suggest that anyone who wants to loose weight should follow a number of principles:

1) stop all sodas and juices, since they contain an unhealthy amount of sugar and do not quench thirst - often they only  make you more thirsty. Drink lots of water instead.

2) change your diet but do NOT go hungry. This will only foster hunger pangs that will lead to binging. It can start up an eating disorder.

3) cut out as much processed food from your diet as you can, from cereals, breads, bagels, pastas to candies, chips, donuts etc. If you can stay with eating proteins and  vegetables, and a minimum amount of fruit, you will find that you will be less fatigued, anxious, depressed AND you will loose weight.

If you have already tried to do this, and found that you were unable to, then you may be a sugar addict, or a food addict.

Check out these questions to see if you are addicted to food:
The 20 questions for food addiction:

1. Have you ever wanted to stop eating and found you just couldn’t?
2. Do you think about food or your weight constantly?
3. Do you find yourself attempting one diet or food plan after another, with no lasting success?
4. Do you binge and then “get rid of the binge” through vomiting, exercise, laxatives, or other forms of purging?
5. Do you eat differently in private than you do in front of other people?
6. Has a doctor or family member ever approached you with concern about you're eating habits or weight?
7. Do you eat large quantities of food at one time (binge)?
8. Is your weight problem due to you're “nibbling” all day long?
9. Do you eat to escape from your feelings?
10. Do you eat when you’re not hungry?
11. Have you ever discarded food, only to retrieve and eat it later?
12. Do you eat in secret?
13. Do you fast or severely restrict your food intake?
14. Have you ever stolen other people’s food?
15. Have you ever hidden food to make sure you have “enough?”
16. Do you feel driven to exercise excessively to control your weight?
17. Do you obsessively calculate the calories you’ve burned against the calories you’ve eaten?
18. Do you frequently feel guilty or ashamed about what you’ve eaten?
19. Are you waiting for your life to begin “when you lose the weight?”
20. Do you feel hopeless about your relationship with food?
Copyright © 2000-2010 Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous

If you think you might be a food addict, then the next step is to find out which foods you are addicted to. This is almost always sugar and refined starches, but for many people it can be dairy, some fruits, fats, salt, even the volume of food. Then you have to stop eating those foods, go through the detox and after a few weeks of abstinence, your food cravings will subside.

This is much easier said than done. I encourage you to go to my website: addictionsunplugged.com, and  find out some resources that will help you quit. There is lots of information as well as resources like 12 step groups. Like with any addiction, it is almost impossible to quit your drug of choice alone!