Why do I CRAVE shaved ice?
I crave shaved ice (snow).  Does anybody know why?  I eat it all the time.
Craving ice all the time is called Pagophasia.  It is thought to be a sign of iron deficiency.  Other symptoms of iron def. is feeling cold or chilly all the time, being tired to the bone, and problems with memory and learning.  This is common in people who are vegans, on fad diets, or don't eat meat for whatever reason. Bleeding can cause iron deficiency and many women on their period have this craving. Men and women who crave ice may have a internal bleeding problem they don't know about, such as ulsers, or may have other blood related problems. When eating meats high in iron, or taking an iron supplement, vitamin C can be take to increase absorption. Iron supplements can be hard on the stomach and should be taken with food. If you suspect you may have an iron deficiency, have your iron checked by the doctor.
(this isn't proven!)Hey I heard that you crave ice if your sex life is unsatisfining (wifes tale!!!)
Definently low iron, my mom was hospitalized because of this, had 3 units of blood given.  Doc asked her if she craved ice.  She just about drove us nuts, crunching on ice, once she got the transfusion, the craving went away.  Another thing that she craved was dill pickles.  Strange, but true.  Hope this helps.
It is a habit. I craved ice for years and was always told it was from low blood. I broke myself from eating it when the dentist told me that it was causing my teeth to go bad. It was like having an addiction. It only took me a couple of weeks of not eating it and the craving left.
Yes. It's a no-brainer. You are hypoxic.  You have a low hematocrit. You need a hematocrit work-up ASAP. The ice is craved because it activates a vestigal organ on the roof of the mouth, which activated the so-called "mamalian dive" reflex, permiting the brain and organs to subsist on reduced oxygen.
You have oxygen senors in the left and right carotid arteries. When these sense low 02 it triggers "Ice Pica". It is common in emergency rooms when patients come in from auto accidents in hypovolemia. Generally a hematocrit lower than 29 will trigger this craving. After a transfusion the craving disappears. It is comon in hemorhoid sufferers, who sometimes lose quite a bit of blood.
My girlfriend is pregnant...that is why she craves ice (snow).  Old cold freezer ice...sitting there for a month.  Mmmmm!  Can't buy that in the store.  I am growing some now as she digs in my freezer for more!
plz HELP !!! me to stop craving ice......
i started to eat ice little by little, it got to a point that i bought 18 pounds a day from the local store (was the best ice, i tried them all!) now i bought a new frig with ice in the door. i carry i cooler in my car when i have to leave home.  i always leave the ice out for a while to get it , what i call 'punky' a little bit softer. my dental bills are piling up, but i guess like an alcholic, i just don't care. i heard from an older lady that eating ice was a fashionable diet in the 1950's. the cold brought your motablism down and your body worked to heat it back up. did this work for anyone?
Does anyone Know why, one would crave ice other then low iron. And no i'am not pregant....
i eat ice alll of the time because of my iron , therefore i am anemic.