Nutrition Expert Forum
b12

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

b12

I had a vitamin b-12 deficiency as a child and had to take it as a liquid daily,I had lost clumps of hair. Today I went to the doctor and she told me I looked like I had a b-12 deficiency. When I asked her what she meant she said she noticed places on my face that were dry and red around the edges of my mouth.  She told me to get a bottle of 1,000 mcg and take it every day for a couple of months and see if it goes away.  I went to walmart and all they had was the 2500 or 5000 sublingual. Is this too much or is it water soluble? She didn't say to get the sublingual but I know from the past that I had been told many years ago that I didn't absorb it through the GI tract.
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'2"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
184
The best treatment for a B12 deficiency is injections and regular monitoring of the B12 via blood work. If you do not absorb it as you stated, suggest getting blood work to see where your level B12 and other vitamins are at and then get treated. Thank you for your question.
1000mcg of sublingual is good! Go for it! Also, it would be useful to monitor your digestive function to see why you're not absorbing b12. Are you a vegan? Have you ever had intestinal parasites/stomach bugs before?