Nutrition Community
can i double the amount of iron supplements i take daily?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

right now ive just started taking 1 iron and multivitimins supplement a day, but i know im anemic and you get higher amounts of iron with prescription than in the usual suplements.
will it be ok if i double my supplements im taking?

ive had anemia before, and ive recently been feeling like i did when i was anemic and i have got poor nutrition right now so i am certain that i am anaemic again
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there,
I would suggest you that you should get your hemoglobin level checked before starting any iron supplements. The standard dose of iron is 60 mg per day and is two times a day in anemia. It is entirely the doctor’s discretion about the dosage of iron and which form of iron should be given which is decided on the severity of your symptoms, your ability to tolerate iron supplements, the presence of other health problems or other types of drugs you have been taking. Iron tablets can cause stomach upset, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting in high doses. Consult your doctor before starting it. Do keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!
mymedsyourmeds joined this community
Welcome them!
CamLp uploaded new photos
Aug 22
SassyLassie joined this community
Welcome them!
Aug 22
Track your weight over time