Nutrition Community
diet for taking COUMADIN low n vitamin K

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

short recap of health: suffer from Lupus, and all that goes with it, pulmanary hypertenion with fibrosis.(just to mention to two important ones for now)   Have been taking Coumadin since November and would like to know the foods high in vitamin K that I should stay away from or how to intergrate them in my daily diet.
Thanking you in advance
JYFP
Avatar n tn
I am 39 years old and I have been taking coumadin for almost 5 years.  A little friendly advice that might help you and please be mindful that I'm NOT a nutritionist or a doctor.  However, I do live have to live with it for the rest of my life.  If I were you, I would search coumadin & nutrition on the web or simply go to the coumadin web site.  I can tell you that from my research there are a plethera of foods containing vitamin K.  The levels of K vary from food to food and I have found that they key is to eat a balanced amount each day rather than just once in a while. It will affect your PTINR.  Vitamin K is most likely to be found in most green leafy vegetables, some oils, soy products, coconut, etc.  Whatever you do just remember to be consistent in your consumption and monitor your levels regularly.  Good luck to you!

***@****
Avatar n tn
I've been taking coumadin for 7 months now because of a pulmonary embolism.  Turns out I tested positive for Factor V which, according to my dr., means I have to take this stuff for the rest of my life. I'm not very happy about that! I can't seem to find any kind of alternative.  I guess I just need to know others have taken it for years and they are okay. The side effects scare me to death.  Any comments welcome!
Avatar n tn
I have had two (2) stays in the hospital due to blood clots in
my lungs.  First time was in Feb. 1993 and the second time was
in Mar. of 1994.  I have been on permanent Coumadin since Mar.
1994.  Some people are more influenced by what they eat, drink
and consume (medicines, etc.) than others.  As for myself, it
seems that my blood is very sensitive to everything that goes
into my mouth.  I have learned to stay away from most herbs, spices,etc. for the simple reason that very little is known as
to how they effect the blood as far as 'thickness' and 'thinness'.  I do know, for instance, that ginger thins my
blood even more quickly than Coumadin itself.  My INR is suppose
to stay between 2 and 3.  After eating a box of Ginger Snaps it
shot up to over 6.  At times I get very discouraged and frustrated trying to figure out what I can and cannot eat.  The
very vegetables that I use to eat to keep my weight down are the
very ones I can no longer eat.  It is assumed by my doctors that
my intake of Premarin back in 1993 is what caused my first episode of clots. I was not told by my doctor that clots were a
possible side-effect of taking Premarin.  My life was changed
forever in 1993, but I am still alive and (for the most part)
well.  My only problem right now is my weight.  I thank God for
life and I expect to be around for a long time.
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
CamLp uploaded new photos
Dr. Peter Glidden ND
Jun 29 by gymdandee
Tatisss uploaded new photos
Jun 29
Track your weight over time