Nutrition Community
eating with hashimoto's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

eating with hashimoto's

I've been diagnosed with hashimoto's and a low grade connecting tissue disease about 3 years ago. Unlike most thyroid patients, I'm not gaining weight because I feel sick and irritated when I eat most stuff. I'm 24 and 48kg at 163cm.

I know that it's not everything that makes me feel sick, but I just don't know what not to eat when I have hashi's. I know stay away from gluten and that's basically everything produced with flour, right?

I'm taking 50 mcg eltoxin and 200mcg selenium with birth control pills.  

What can I eat so that it helps my condition and that I won't feel sick afterwards. Is there a web site or something like that handles hashimoto's and nutrition. I find that they're all about losing weight but I think I'll die if I lose more weight.

Thank you very much!
Avatar n tn
I read briefly about this condition and from what I gather, normally people gain weight, your problem is that you feel sick when you eat, and don’t eat, so you’re not gaining any weight. I would suggest following diet plans with people that have digestive diseases. For example, someone with IBS (irritable bowl syndrome) or someone with a stomach ulcer will choose foods that do not irritate them. Also try checking out this site. http://www.thyroidmanager.org/Chapter8/8-contents.htm

If you have any questions please email me at ***@**** or visit <a href="http://www.online-health-source.info">http://www.online-health-source.info</a>
Thanks Tyler, I'm just checking both of the websites you've directed me to. I will e-mail if I have any questions.
Thanks for your time! :)
Avatar n tn
Hi!
I am losing weight too coz i get sick after eating. Not sick like from my stomach...anyway...because of palpitations, anxiety and even some kind of depression all going on for abt an year now, i got checked by an enocrinologist. He gave me some tests to run. I

My name is George and I just registered to this forum.

I have a question I would like to make.
My wife has recently been diagnosed with hashimoto .

My question is : What is a recomended diet for people with hashi.. (regardless of weight loss or gain ) . ?
What I mean is , what kind of food should we get used to eating  and  what to avoid ?
How can we adjust our diet for better results thus lifequality ?

Thanks in advance for any responce !
I am new to this forum.

Hashimoto's is an auto immune disease. If you have an auto immune disease, you are open to any other; i.e. lupus, diabetes, celiac, osteoporosis.

Celiac is now diagnosed by a blood test.

I am having some issues with my thyroid right now. We haven't had a determination yet as to what kind.

There are some doctors now who test for celiac when someone comes into their office with diabetes, or hashimoto's or osteoporosis.

The diet is easy once you get used to it. And, the results are that folks who are gluten free have healthier life styles.

My son is a nurse, and he has celiac. He researchs the latest information on auto-immune disorders.

Avatar n tn
If you are nauseated after eating, and especially having anxiety & palpitations, those are good signs that you may be deficient in magnesium. If you are also constipated a lot or have a cycle of being constipated followed by diarrhea, this can also be a sign of low magnesium. Lack of magnesium also negatively affects thyroid function. Try taking a supplement for the Recommended Daily Allowance of magnesium for 1-2 weeks and see if your symptoms improve. (Don't take too much more than that, and keep in mind that many heartburn & indigestion remedies contain magnesium. Too much magnesium can cause diarrhea and other problems.) After a few weeks, you can tweak your dosage up or down a little until your bowel movements stay fairly regular (no constipation or diarrhea.) That works best for me. If you drink a lot of soda, you may also want to cut back on these as they may negatively impact magnesium absorption.

Many people with thyroid problems are also deficient in selenium, so you might want to look into that as well.

Here are some websites to check out:
http://www.ithyroid.com/ (sections on nutrition & supplements for people with thyroid problems, including Hashimoto's)
http://mgwater.com/ (info on many different problems associated with magnesium deficiency)
Here are someting that I have found out not only from personal experience, but through the Dr, that I see.  Here they are for you. No chocolate, alochol, caffeine, thats hard to live without, so I have 2 cups per day. I have also found out that popcorn makes me break out with hives. I'm not sure what kind of meds. that you are taking, so here is one to try. It is over the counter, it ranitidine, it's generic zantac. I take 4 pills in the morning and 4 pills at night. Seems to help. They have also added singulair, which you would have to get fro your Dr. These are just some of the things that I have found that don't make me feel good or cause hives and things that help to keep them away. Hope this helps.
All the posts are very informative. I would also like to add that we have an excellent thyroid community here and there are many folks that will be able to help and also share their stories. Here is the link to it.  http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid-Disorders/show/73
I have been recently diagnosed with hashimoto's.  It was found through some lab work my chiroprator ran.  He has been working with me and my diet.  Elimintating some foods I was found to be sensitive to, i.e. gluten, corn, soy, dairy.  I've never felt better.  He also gave me a book to read by Dr. Kharrazian, 'Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms?'  It has been very enlightening to say the least.

good luck
bert
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Tatisss uploaded new photos
MH Community Mgr uploaded a new photo
Contamination Of Oat-Based Cereals...
8 hrs ago by gymdandee
Track your weight over time