Nutrition Community
extreme salty taste

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

extreme salty taste

Every thing I eat except sweets have a extreme salty taste. Salty to the point of not being able to eat my food. It's not because there is to much salt in the food. So, my question is could this be a medical problem or has anyone had this happen to them. The food is so salty that it is bitter. Any information will help.
What kind of food do you eat? Just for example.
http://nihseniorhealth.gov/problemswithtaste/causesandprevention/02.html
this is a link to the article about taste and smell disorders. Sometimes they are interrelated
About a year ago, I had a constant salty taste in my mouth. My lips always tasted salty. Clear water tasted salty. Sweet sodas tasted salty. It was perplexing and annoying. Around the same time my blood pressure went out of control. When I consulted my internist about the bp I mentioned the salty taste issue. He said nothing but looked at me like I was nuts. He threw more meds at me and they did nothing to help but they did prompt my heart to beat fast and I became very irritable. I then went to a specialist who did blood work and urine testing and diagnosed hyperaldosteronism (sp?). He changed my meds - actually decreasing them - and all became right with my world and the salty taste disappeared. I had mentioned the salty taste to the specialist but he said nothing, just nodded.  So, my question is was that salty taste related to the hyperaldoseronism or not.
i am having the same problem . someone said their lips tasted salty and someone else thought it might be a issue with smell . my sense of smell is fine . and its only food that tastes super salty . sweet things are fine . even things with a low salt content taste way to salty . it was strange and sudden enough for me to wonder if its somthing deeper . did you ever figure it out ?
I am diabetic.  The 'salty' taste started happening to me years ago, but it is getting much worse.  I find myself only wanting to eat sweets because of the salty taste.
It first started out with me having or experiencing something like a hot flash at 23. After a while certain foods just started tasting really salty. One day I had a problem with vomiting. I just thought I was dehidrated but I couldnt get the salt taste to go away. Then an area in my abdomin (abdomen) just below the rib cage but up towards the peak but below my heart started feeling funny. A couple of hours later it felt more like an annoying dule ache that I couldn't get to stop. The taste of salt in the food was awful. A few days later the dule ache didn't get better so I went to the doctor. I was drinking plenty of fluids and spent nearly all day in air condition buildings minus the commute outside. The doctor told me I was fine. Several days had pased and nothing improved. Eventually the dule ache slowly started to move and I started feel overaly tired and worn out so I went back to the doctor wi th both the dule ache and salt taste in my mouth. 3 days later the pain had,worsened and xhanged to my lower left abdomen and I was running a fever. I just waan't eating the way I used to because of the salty taste in everything I was eating. Then I started vomiting. I went to the Er, within a couple of hours I had a scan of my abdomen and my apendix was removed. The problem with food tasting overally salty ended after my apendix was removed.