Aa
A
A
Close
hair loss
i am a 17 year old girl and for the last 3 months i have had a lot of hair shredding. I started to notice it was coming out more than normal and gradually over the 3 months it has has got so bad.  When i run my hand through my hair about 10 hairs comes out each time. I have no bald patches and im sure my new hair is growing back. I found i was iron deficient so now on iron tablets.  I also take hair vitamin tablets.  I have been on the iron tablets for over a week, but my hair is still just as bad or even worse.  If this was the cause how long does it take for my hair to stop shredding at the rate it does and go back to normal?
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
if you fix the issue, it will likely take a month or longer for you to notice the difference in hair loss rates.  i had problems with my thyroid earlier this year and went on medication to help regulate my levels and it caused my hair to fall out so quickly.  it took a good 6 weeks for my hair to stop falling out once i stopped my medication again.  it's not an overnight process, so you may need to wait longer to see results.

have a full blood workup done.  you never know if your hair loss may by thyroid related too.  it's a very common cause.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Ah that really *****, same thing's happening to me but I've had bloodtests and am healthy.
Make sure you're getting enough omega 3 too, that can help. Also, eat more chicken or eggs if you're not vegan. Easy protein right there.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Recent Activity
Blank
CamLp uploaded new photos
15 hrs ago
1236893 tn?1408490528
Blank
Blank
Tatisss uploaded new photos
Jun 29
Blank
Weight Tracker
Track your weight over time