Nutrition Expert Forum
high b12 and high folate blood levels

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

high b12 and high folate blood levels

My wife is an Alzheimer's patient in a nursing home for 9 1/2 years now.  The Alzheimer's diagnosis was made after a brain biopsy in 1996 discovered plaques and tangles.  A few years ago we did some follow up genetic blood tests and discovered she is a 3/3 on the APOE gene, therefore not likely to be an early onset prospect.  She was found to have two bad alleles on another gene, I don't remember the name, which has to do with absorbing folic acid.  The altered diagnosis was that she may have started with vascular dementia but is likely into Alzheimer's now.

We did blood tests and her folic acid blood levels were high.  The doctor performing the genetic tests suggested that the blood levels were not indicative of how the body is using folic acid so we put her on a daily dose of folate.  The blood leveles have remained high.  

A year ago her B12 blood results were within normal range.  In March and April of this year her B12 levels were 1500 and 1473 respectively.    Just the other day, they did blood tests and her B12 was >1500 and her folate was >20.0.  The doctor decided to stop both the folate dosage and the B12.  I wanted to check on any problems with high B12/folate levels.  I know that basically there are no ill effects from excessive B12 but wasn't sure about the folate, especially the combination.

We put her on a gluten free diet a three or four weeks ago, a long story,  and am a little concerned about future folate levels since she will not be getting the same amount in her diet going forward.  I am also confused with blood levels versus absorption for folate and B12.  I don't understand but her neurologist, the genetic tester, talked about the issue being absorption of folate into the cells.  

Thank you for listening.
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'4"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
98 lb
If you (or the subject of the question) is under 18, please state your age:
:  
65
There is a factor in our stomach that we need for Vitamin B12 to absorb into our bodies. If that is not present, then pernicious anemia may occur and vitamin B12 shots are the treatment. Supplementation is used for mild vitamin B12 deficiency for people with chronic alcoholism, therapy for gastric acid inhibitors, vegan vegetarians, autoimmune disorders, or dementia. The normal range of Vitamin B12 is from160-950pg/ml. Reason for such wide range is due to Vitamin B12 are in our tissues plus in the blood so it is difficult to have a true reading. You are right there are no adverse effects associated with excess Vitamin B12 intake from food and/ or supplementation, however, Vitamin B12 deficiency maybe disguised by folic acid supplementation. The recommended upper tolerable level for folate (folic acid) is 1mg (1000mg) in adults; however, they should not exceed 400mg in supplementation due to masking Vitamin B12 deficiency. Folate can be found in foods other then wheat products, such as spinach, oranges, romaine lettuce, peanut butter, milk, and beef. Hoped this helped you.
1 Comment
A related discussion, help was started.
A related discussion, help was started.