Nutrition Community
high cholesterol + pre-diabetic
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

high cholesterol + pre-diabetic

Good evening: I am quite confused as I have been told I am pre-diabetic with high cholesterol. My mother and grandmother were diabetic. I am not overweight (9stone and 5ft.6") with  appropriate BMI. Recently my blood presure shot up from 106/60 to 194/80 and I became dizzy and was put onto Enalapril and had an ECG which was OK.  However, this was probably due to high cholesterol and less exercise recently.  I really need some advice about what TO eat as most people talk about what NOT to eat. Is there a list somewhere which would be appropriate for me. I also need more muscle tone. Iam 65. Thank you.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
The reason is, theories on what to eat are as many as there are nutritionists and cultures, but most people agree on what not to eat.  I will say that wild cold water fish and fish oil are the first foods you should consider, as they will help build the good cholesterol, HDL, and also help your blood sugar metabolism.  Green vegetables are very good, wheat grass would be very useful.  Eat whole grains instead of white flour, and it's better to avoid wheat most of the time, so explore grains such as brown rice, whole oats, whole spelt, kamut, teff, millet, quinoa, amaranth, etc.  Eating more protein and fewer simple carbs are good.  White beans, such as white kidney beans, chicpeas, aduzi beans, and other beans are good because they're high in protein and also in fibers that help control blood sugar and cholesterol.  That's a start.  To get more complete, try to find a holistic nutritionist.
Blank
Thank you so much for this advice. Its more or less what I thought but some of these foods I as not aware of. It sounds boring but as you say it is 'a start'. J.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Nutrition Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating: What Your Closet ...