Nutrition Community
high cholesterol + pre-diabetic

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

high cholesterol + pre-diabetic

Good evening: I am quite confused as I have been told I am pre-diabetic with high cholesterol. My mother and grandmother were diabetic. I am not overweight (9stone and 5ft.6") with  appropriate BMI. Recently my blood presure shot up from 106/60 to 194/80 and I became dizzy and was put onto Enalapril and had an ECG which was OK.  However, this was probably due to high cholesterol and less exercise recently.  I really need some advice about what TO eat as most people talk about what NOT to eat. Is there a list somewhere which would be appropriate for me. I also need more muscle tone. Iam 65. Thank you.
The reason is, theories on what to eat are as many as there are nutritionists and cultures, but most people agree on what not to eat.  I will say that wild cold water fish and fish oil are the first foods you should consider, as they will help build the good cholesterol, HDL, and also help your blood sugar metabolism.  Green vegetables are very good, wheat grass would be very useful.  Eat whole grains instead of white flour, and it's better to avoid wheat most of the time, so explore grains such as brown rice, whole oats, whole spelt, kamut, teff, millet, quinoa, amaranth, etc.  Eating more protein and fewer simple carbs are good.  White beans, such as white kidney beans, chicpeas, aduzi beans, and other beans are good because they're high in protein and also in fibers that help control blood sugar and cholesterol.  That's a start.  To get more complete, try to find a holistic nutritionist.
Thank you so much for this advice. Its more or less what I thought but some of these foods I as not aware of. It sounds boring but as you say it is 'a start'. J.
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Truth in Olive Oil
8 hrs ago by gymdandee
MH Community Mgr commented on stacey10's status
Eliminate This ONE Ingredient and W...
Jun 25 by gymdandee
Track your weight over time