Nutrition Expert Forum
high iron levels but low B12 levels

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

high iron levels but low B12 levels

I went to the doctor recently because of some digestive problems.  She did blood work (we thought it might be gall bladder, but it isn't)  and she said I have extremely high iron levels in my blood, but my B12 level was 40.  My potassium level was really high, too.  I'm trying to find out what in my diet is causing this so I can adjust, but nothing seems to make sense.  Any ideas?
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'8"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
180
Are you taking supplements? Supplements can sometimes cause vitamins and minerals to increase like that or you might be deficient. You stated you were having stomach issues. There is a factor in our stomach that we need for Vitamin B12 to work. If that is not present, pernicious anemia occurs and we become vitamin B12 deficient. Vitamin B12 shots are the best method of treatment. Suggest your MD do an Iron profile blood work to see if there is an anemia deficiently or not.