Nutrition Community
how accurate are MRI's?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

how accurate are MRI's?

Hello Doctor,
How long does a person need to have MS symptoms before something would show up on an MRI? Can a person have MS and still have a normal MRI?  Could a pinched nerve in the neck for 30 years cause tingling in feet and hands, among other symptoms?
Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
Related Discussions
Hi - I'm not a doctor so please don't rely on my advice.
I can't comment on the MRI question at all, but regarding the "pinched nerve" question, irritation to the nerves in the neck may cause pins and needle sensations in the hands. If you are getting symptoms in the feet as well, you should go and see a neurologist to rule out a disc problem in the neck. (e.g. if a disc protrusion causes narrowing of the spinal canal in the neck region, you can get symptoms in the feet. This would need to be resolved as soon as possible).
I have had pins and needles in both hands and the MRI didn't show anything was pressing on the nerves. An EMG (muscle/nerve conduction test) did highlight irritation to the nervers however. They think it is due to bad posture.

Hope this helps a bit - basically, you should get it checkout out with a neurologist for peace of mind.
Re: the MRI question, why don't you post that question in the neurology forum?

Take care
Ben
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Nutrition Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703