Nutrition Community
how long does it take for b12 to work?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

how long does it take for b12 to work?

I am having strange symptoms for the past 6 months( 4 months while pregnant and 2 months postpartum). My hands (all fingers esp thumb) twitch and have weird ticklish sensation in muscles (hands, arms, back, back of head face lips and tongue) I'm twitching in my face too in a weird uncomfortable manner. I am wondering if it's due to b12 deficiency never got tested for it

I have started to take b12(5mcg) per day for four days now but don't see much difference. So am wondering if it is a b12 deficiency... how long will it take to work?
That is a very small amount of B-12 you are taking. In order for it to work, you need to take at least 500 mcg daily, I take a brand by Twin labs called "B-12 Dots. You put one under your tongue daily and let it melt, this is absorb more easily by the body than taking pills. If you are really deficient, and almost the entire population of the world is due to diet, then I would ask the doctor about B-12 shots. I have those, and the difference in the way I feel is phenomenal. B-12 is best taken along with Folate acid, the two are synergistic.

In terms as to how long for it to work ,well, give the dots about a month, however, when I was diagnosed with shingles, I started them and in two days the shingles were gone. For the shots, about a few hours and you should start noticing a difference.