Nutrition Community
lack of sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

lack of sleep

is lack of sleep affecting my metabolism rate???
i need an urgent answer
Only a series of blood tests could tell you this definitively.  Some people need a lot of sleep, some need very little.  While the above statement is generally true, it isn't necessarily true for any specific individual.  It also depends on how long you haven't slept for and why and what your diet is like.  Why aren't you sleeping?  Partying too much, working too hard, or anxiety?  And how long has it lasted?  How are you feeling -- you'd know if your blood sugar was being affected because you'd feel fatigued and wired and spacey.  It's more complicated than just, I'm not getting enough sleep, therefore my metabolism is off.  Any weight differences?  That would be the first thing to show up, either loss or gain.  
If lack of sleep has related to depression, being nervous, or poor diet; yes it does.
Lack of sleep definitely reduces a young adult's capacity to perform the basic metabolic functions.
Sleep deprivation results in altered glucose metabolism so that it takes longer for insulin, the major hormone regulating sugar levels in blood to be secreted.This is an early marker of diabetes.
In addition, there is a reduction in the rate of secretion of thyroid metabolic hormones which are important in the normal functioning of basal functions.

Lack of sleep also causes a reduction in the secretion of leptin, a hormone that suppresses appetite, so that you tend to eat more.
There is an increase in ghrelin production, and it increases appetite, so you tend to eat more.
There is an increased tendency to gain weight and towards obesity, hypertension, and other old age related diseases.
Finally,the aging process is accelerated.