low carb diet for refeeding edema
I was recently diagnosed with Celiacs disease, finally after dropping down to 97 pounds ( I am female and 5'11").  I stopped eating gluten, started a very healthy diet with lots of fruits, veggies and whole grains (non  gluten) and now feel fantastic, with one problem. I immediately gained 25 pounds (in the first two days).  The doctor says I have refeeding edema because I had malnutrtion.  He has prescribed patience and a low carb diet.  It's been a month, and I am still ridiculously bloated:(  So, my two questions are- how long with this edema last and 2) how many grams of carbs should I be consuming?  Thank you!
Janer, you've gained 25 pounds in two days? You can only get this with food or fluid you take. Do you drink enormous amount of fluid?
No, just normal amounts and I am eating 1800 calories a day.  Its caused by a bad reaction to carbs after malnutrtion, my doctor says.  I am on a low carb, low sodium, gluten free diet, but so far, still like a beachball.  Doc called today and said I should "spontaneously diurese" any day now.  Waiting!!
25 (twenthy-five) pounds is 11.3 kilograms. Are we speaking about this amount? In 2 days? Two weeks maybe? Refeeding edema is possible but if you have gained this much in two days, you had to ingest this amount of food or water in these two days. Body can't build up weight by a "reaction to carbs".
well someone better tell my body that it is not possible then, because it happened with normal fluid and beverage intake.
OK, janer...It would be dangerous if anyone would try to give you exact advice about so specific situation. I guess edema, with proper diet, will resolve in terms of weeks. I also think you should drink only as much as needed to maintain regular urination. I suggest you to call the doctor and ask him personally about which exact carbohydrates to avoid (only sugars or all carbs), how much to drink and anything other what's on your mind.
For those who said this is impossible, it's not.  I can gain 15 pounds in a few hours without having eaten or drunk anything.  I will have to change pants mid-day.  At first I thought I was insane when I felt so different and so I started weighing myself.  Then, I thought my scale was broken by the numbers, so I bought another one and used the one at the University, and it was in fact happening.  I'm not sure how it is possible, but somehow the weight seems to come from nowhere, and I poof.  I am so sorry.  I feel your pain.  I am on a fish and veggie diet pretty much because I get SOOO sick if I eat anything else.  I have reached the point even fish and veggies are giving me problems.  No doctor can give me an answer either.  It is terrible.  Just know you're not alone.
It's possible...we see it in the Philippines with the severely malnourished especially after a feeding program is implemented.  However, the docs just wait for it to recede.  They've never told me to expect it to "go away" within a given amount of time.  I was told it is metabolic in origin due to the previous lack of food and the re-introduction of food.  

Hope this helps or at least reassures.
sd