Nutrition Expert Forum
vegetarian malnutrition

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

vegetarian malnutrition
My nephew is a new vegetarian, about 6 months.  His mother has started noticing abundent hair loss from him after he showers, she also states that he is always chilled, and just never feels "good".  I am almost positive that this is from lack of vitamins.  I personally am not vegetarian, so I am not familiar with the needs of a vegetarian, and I don't think that he had educated himself. Could you suggest some things that he needs to stay healthy living in this lifestyle.
You did not state the type of vegetarian he was. Protein is the main ingredient that needs attention. You get protein by using dairy products which can come from animal or plant sources, such as, milk, soy milk, rice milk, yogurt, soy yogurt, cheese, soy cheese, soy ice cream, and rice ice cream. If he is a vegan, then he needs to combine grains and nuts / seeds for essential proteins have to be used daily such as rice and beans, pasta and beans, nuts to oatmeal, peanut butter and bread, and salad and nuts. He can also eat the soy and rice products mention above. Eat more raw fruits and vegetables for vitamins and minerals. Eat them as snacks or add them to salads with additional nuts. Vitamin B12 needs to be supplemented as a vegan vegetarian because that vitamin only comes from animal sources. Suggest he go to his MD to get a check up with blood work just to be sure his entire nutrient, vitamin, and mineral levels are normal. Look at www.vrg.org for more information on vegetarian eating. Hope this helped you.