Nutrition Expert Forum
vegetarian

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

vegetarian

i am a vegetarian and i don't eat gelatin. my mom wants me and my sister to start taking vitamins. i also have very shot gag reflexes so i can not take chewable tablets. so my mom  bought gummy vitamins. should i take them and go against my beliefs or refuse to take them?
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
4' 6"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
70
If you (or the subject of the question) is under 18, please state your age:
:  
11
Gelatin is not made from animal anymore because of vegetarians. If you are still not sure read the labels on the bottle; they have to list all ingredients. It is important you take vitamins as a vegetarian because if you are not eating the proper protein combinations, fruit, and vegetables on a daily basis then you are not getting what you need. As a vegan you need Vitamin B12 supplementation because you cannot get that from plant foods.
I am a former vegetarian of 5 years. When I was a vegetarian I was not being very responsible in regards to getting adequate nutrition which caused my thyroid to become imbalanced. I lost 15 pounds in one month, and I didn’t weigh very much to being with. I felt very, very sick and consequently started eating meat again. I still feel that animal abuse is wrong, but you can get meat from local farmers where you know how the animals are treated. If this does not work for you, then you can find pills that come in  hard pills form or look for vegetarian gelatin capsules.

As far as the previous response that gelatin is no longer taken from animals. This is completely false. I am a Muslim who does not eat pork and I know that most gelatins come from pork and more rarely beef or fish. Very, Very few things are made with fruit products as gelatin.

One thing I really love about  Islam that I haven’t found in other religions is there is a true respect for animals and their treatment. There is also rules governing their slaughter to minimize pain and suffering. So if you decided to eat meat one day you could look for Hilal meat. Its like kosher, but for Muslims.
_
Sorry, I was mistaken about the gelatin, however, you can get gelatin that comes from plant, or agar so you are able to comply with vegetarian. Please read the labels so you know the ingredients in the food or medicine you take. Best of luck.