Nutrition Community
vegeterian.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

vegeterian.

Hi I am a vegeterian which means I don't eat meat and as a result I eat a lot of carbohydrates which are very fattening. Does someone know if I can replace my carbohydrates with something else instead which is meat free?
I also have a habit of binge eating. Do you recommend some type of snack which doesn't have a lot of calories?
Thank-you in advance ! :)
Binge eating is psychological, so substituting something else doesn't solve the problem -- eating too much of anything has its risks.  But there are many seaweed snacks that are high in nutrients and low in calories.  But again, if you binged on seaweed, you'd get too many minerals.  There's just no healthy way to binge.  But sometimes binging is caused by a feeling that you're hungry, which could mean you're not eating enough of what you need.  As for protein, many vegetarian foods are high in protein -- legumes such as peanuts, soy, well, all the beans, nuts and seeds.  Even some grains or grain-like foods are fairly high in protein, such as quinoa or spelt or amaranth.  And as for carbs being fattening, depends on which carbs.  Simple carbs are fattening, but whole grains and vegetables aren't and they're all carbs.  I think the best thing for you is to take some classes in how to be a vegetarian and still be healthy, as you don't seem to have a background in nutrition at all.  Read a bunch of books.  And keep an open mind -- some people are not suited to be vegetarians while some are.