Nutrition Expert Forum
vitamins

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

vitamins

I am 16, athletic, and a health nut. I used to be obese but i changed my life style and lost over 30 lbs in one summer. Now I was wondering is it safe/healthy/helpful for me to begin taking vitamins. I Already have vitamin c tablets for when I, or someone else in my house gets sick or if there is a bug at school. I eat very well but i fear that the necessary variet of vegetables and fruits are not available to me.
For your age, you should be consuming daily appropriately 3000 calories a day which consists of 10 servings of grains (1 serving consists of: 1/2 cup or 1 slice of whole grains breads / cereals, rice, pasta, etc), 4 servings of vegetables (1 serving consists of: 1 cup of raw or cooked vegetable or vegetable juice), 2.5 servings of fruits (1 serving consists of: 1 raw fruit itself, 1 cup raw or cooked fruit, 1 cup 100% fruit juice), 3 servings on milk (1 serving consists of: 1 cup), 7 servings of meats and beans (1 serving consists of: 1 egg, 1oz meat, 1 slice of meat, 1/2 cup bean soup, 1/4 dry beans). If you are eating that amount of food then you are consuming the amount of vitamins and minerals you need daily for your body. If you are not, then I recommend only a regular daily multi-vitamin. It is not necessary for you to take mega doses of vitamins and minerals when it comes from your food.
Thank you so much Dr. Renee. I do eat that pretty much religiously. Do you recomend a certain brand of vitamin like Centrum or something? Just for kicks how long should I be exercising at my age like minute wise? Thanks again this site is so helpful.