Nutrition Expert Forum
weight loss

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

weight loss
How msny calorie should I eat a day to loss weight and what foods should I avoid

I really need to know your age. If you are an adult, you can consume between 1500-1800 calories a day to slowly lose weight. As far as food goes, recommend a Heart Healthy diet which is a moderate fat diet. Moderate fat diet means = use polyunsaturated (omega 3, corn oil, nuts, etc) fats and monounsaturated (olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, etc) fats, no saturated fats (high fat snack foods, butter, fat spreads) and no trans fats. Eat low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), low fat and substitute dairy products (1% milk, low fat/fat free yogurts, low fat soy milk/soy yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal). To help you eat less food per meal, eat about 5-7 almonds (good fat), 20 minutes before lunch and dinner so you will feel full faster and not eat as much food.  Portion control is important and here some general tips = ½ cup for all starches and vegetables; one piece of fruit or ½ cup of small fruits; 1 cup for low fat dairy products, and only 3oz of low fat meat or protein substitution a meal (only 6ozs total a day). Do not be discouraged, weight loss can be a slow process but the slower you loss, the higher chance it will stay off. Think of this new way of eating as your new healthy lifestyle and not as a diet. Hope this helps you.