Nutrition Expert Forum
why am i so skinny and appear to young for my age?

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

I am 28 years old and my weight varies from 59kg to 63kg. I am 5ft8 and i eat healthily,sometimes way too much, but i am so skinny and look way younger than my age.In fact people don't believe my age when i tell them. They always take me to be a 19/20 year old boy. I am thin arm,wrist and small hand. I am so skinny and there is no improvement no matter how much i eat. It is always difficult to find the right shirt to wear as shirts to hang well on me no matter how many underwear i put on. What can i do please? I want to gain a little bit of weight and body fat. Please help me out.It is a matter of urgency to me as it is affecting my work too. Please help.
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Male
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'8
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
61kg
Yes, you are approximately 9kg below the weight for your height. Suggest weight lifting which will build lean muscle mass and you will gain weight (muscle weight more than fat). For your age you need 2900 calories per day. Recommend drinking Ensure or make your own milkshakes (milk, fruit, and ice cream blended) or yogurt smoothies (yogurt, fruit, and ice cream blended) 2 times a day for additional calories. Recommend eating a Heart Healthy diet which will give you the nutrients, vitamins and minerals your body needs, gain weight slowly, and help with possibly preventing future disease states. Heart Healthy diet which is a moderate fat diet and a moderate fat diet means = using polyunsaturated (omega 3, corn oil, nuts, etc) fats and monounsaturated (olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, etc) fats, no saturated fats (high fat snack foods, butter, fat spreads) and no trans fats. Eat low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), low fat and substitute dairy products (1% milk, low fat/fat free yogurts, low fat soy milk/soy yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal). Hoped this helped you.
A related discussion, why do i get treated like a baby was started.