Nutrition Community
why have healthy foods lost so much of their appeal to me?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

I have never been a picky eater. even being overweight most of my life, I have always loved things that most kids have never even heard of. there was never a vegetable (with the exception of mushrooms) I wouldnt eat. you name it, artichokes, asparagus, beets, parsnips, brussles sprouts. I used to buy those frozen bags and eat the whole bag, that would be a meal/snack for me. I ate a lot more whole grains like oatbran, barley, grits and poleneta. I have always had an isue with getting my protein, but if my mom cooked a roast for dinner, you could bet I would be the first one at the table. I liked junk too, but I was always able to balance it.

2 years ago I stopped birth control and gained 20lbs...ever since then, probably about 70 percent of my diet is junk. the past few months, about 90% of it is junk, although I like any sweets, some of my biggest downfalls recently have been bakery items like muffins, danishes, cookies, and carrot cake and whoopie pies are huge weaknesses for me. I feel like I am 5 years old again and will only eat PB&J sandwiches and cookies and most of the time, I stick my nose up at brocolli or anything green (even though I didn't even do that when I was 5)

can eating these types of foods in excess for an extended period of time really change a persons taste buds and make healthy food unappealing? truth being, I want my old appetite back. my new "food lifestyle" i know is making me feel awful yet I cant stop eating the things I know are making me sick.

why have my tastes changed, and what can I do to get my appetite back for that good old bag of frozen vegetables back, which before I would have had no problem choosing over that box of junk cereal, but now I will walk a mile to get the cereal, despite the fact that the house is filled with good nutritious stuff.

I know its probably some vitamin/mineral deficincy, but I dont know what. I know ppl say if you can hold out and  not eat that stuff for a few weeks, you start to not want it as much. but my cravings are so bad I just don't think  I could hold out long enough for the "initial period"

they make nicotine gum and patches so smokers don't just have to go cold turkey, isnt there something out there that could help me calm my carb cravings and bring back some cravings for lean protein/veggies.

what deficiency do people with this problem typically have?

thank you to anyone who can give helpful advice
It may be a reaction to the hormonal changes from stopping birth control.  Sort of like being pregnant.  The problem you're in is that simple carbs, especially sugar, are addictive, and so the more you eat the more you want.  I think therapy is probably in order here and perhaps some hormone balancing with a naturopath.  One thing you can try is a chinese herb called d-o-n-g quai (the dashes are to avoid censorship on this site).  Might help.  But since you're now habituated to the sugar, it will take some reconditioning to get back to your old self.  By the way, neither polenta nor bran are whole grains, and only some grits are.  The whole grain is the whole grain, not some broken off piece of it.  Doesn't mean they're not good for you, just that they're not necessarily whole grains.  And you know, don't go back to eating a whole bag of brussels sprouts, they do cause gas.  Everything in its proper amount is best.