Body rocking in adults
I just went downstairs and my boyfriend's 21 yr old son was on his hands and knees rocking back and forth in his bed.!  I was Mortified!!!!He is very lazy, very nocturnal, sleeps all day, up all night.  Can't control his spending i.e. will use his debit account even when he knows he doesn't have anything in there.  He will only do any type of chore if you ask him to and even then, it would take him days.  He can live in total filth, for days, says he just pushes it aside instead of cleaning it up.  he is wasteful and has no sense of worth of anything, especially himself or anything around him.  He plays basketball everyday for hours.  wakes up about 3 or 4 and is gone for 4-5 hours.  Stays up till 4 or 5 ij the morning.  sleeps till 4 or 5 in the afternoon.He drives and this I am very worried about!!!!!!!  he has a part time at a jewel and honestly, I don't know how he even holds the position!!!!!! He is constantly late, waking up 15-20 min before he has to be there.  He is undependable and unreliable and you cant trust him to do a simple task.  He did not do very well in school.  He is an amazing artist!!!!!!  He sometimes sits in a trance.  I do not think it is any form or symptom of autism.  I work with special needs children and i know and understand how it must be for him to try to function in the real world.  He is very sweet natured and giving.  He does notmhave any fits of rage or any other distruptive behavior.  I have suspected something wrong but cannot ever put my finger on it.  I am very very concerned and worried and I do not even know if his father is aware of this behavior!!!!  I have only know them for 4 months but I feel he needs some sort of direction.  He does not understand how to stay socially involved in any relationships.....doesn't seem to have any best buddies and does not really have any long-term form of friendships.  He sits in front of the tv most nights, even on weekends.  Please tell me if this something that should be immediately dealt with by a professional and what KIND of professional!!!!  Thank You.....Rosie
Hi there...I'm certainly no doctor but the trance part could be maladaptive daydreaming.  The body rocking can be tied to that and also to help alleviate stress.  Also it sounds like he could have other conditions such as ADHD.  It is not too late to see a psychologist and get diagnosed with whatever it is so that a treatment plan can be put in place.  There are many adults who wondered why things were so difficult for them only to find out that they have been suffering from ADHD.  Just something to think about.  My son has ADHD....he is very smart, but you wouldn't know it looking at his grades.