Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Body rocking

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Viewing 201-319 comments:
It is crazy that so many people have the same issues with this... For many years I thought I was the only on that did this. My mom would always tell me to stop banging I always felt embarrassed.. The crazy thing that many of you mentioned is the feeling that you have when listening to music.. I felt like I was on a natural high and would go into another world for hours.. I felt like I wasted half of my youth doing this and it isolated me when I was younger... It also relaxed me so much when ever I got stressed out I would rock when ever I had something good on my mind I would rock..I am just amazed by the stories..Like many of you mentioned the stories that you have told are exactly the same things I went through.. It really effected my school, sometimes my social life.. I really tried to get away from this as I got older as I was very active in sports and school.. Even now I have a rocking chair at home..  
Hi, I'm 17 and I've rocked throughout my entire lifetime so far. I'm falling behind on all my homework and studies because I enjoy body-rocking so much... I do it around 6 hours a day. I wake up really early just so I could listen to music and body-rock before school. I have the best daydreams and much clearer thoughts when I'm rocking. I'm starting to plan my whole day around my body-rocking routine. I can only do it in my bed with my door locked and curtains closed. Sometimes I get really bad headaches when I do it too long. I don't think I'll ever stop though. My mother told me I've done it since birth. I find it really embarassing because she used to tell everyone about it and my family sometimes made fun of me. I was never neglected or unloved as a child so I don't know why I do it, but I'm very addicted. Sometimes I don't need to do it and other times I can't help it, but I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. It's become one of my favorite daily activities.
6 hours a day is a lot. Are you able to get your daily work done? School work and studying? Do you go out with friends?
I'm 59 and I body rock. My father explained to me that when I was somewhere between the age of 9 months to 1 1/2 I would get on all fours in my tiny crib and rock back and forth. He said because the crib was fragile and I seem determined to do this he demanded I stop. Obviously non-movement was not an option for me so I started rocking my body, always on my right side; the whole procedure working with 45 degrees of movement. My father felt this was acceptable so it was permitted. From the beginning to the age of 20 or so this is how I went to sleep. But it has never stopped. If I can't sleep or I wake up and have trouble falling back to sleep I body rock.  I HAVE HEARD THEIR IS AN EXPLANATION.  I am the youngest child. My sister was born 13 months before me.  There was a documentary during the Soviet era about orphans. Many of them rocked. It was concluded that these children were not nurtured and/or rocked properly by their mother's or that they had been rocked by their parents at one time and then it ceased.  The assumption was that children need and like to be rocked. But if the rocking is interrupted for whatever reason, the effect is a termination of the rocking desire before fruition. Not being an orphan, but being born so soon after my sister, my parent-rocking time was cut short because my mother had to juggle between the two of us. Maybe my sister was the squeaky wheel.  Rob
This is so interesting to read, like most others i have too tried to find out more about why i was doing this. To be honest I have let it take over so much of my life that i forget that i even do it. I'm 24 and have done it ever since i can remember so it's normal for me. I have always have anxiety problems so assumed this was linked but know that i'm getting older i'm worried about what it;s going to be like when me and my boyfriend have children. Am i going to spend my days on end still doing this when i have other priorities?! And like someone mentioned before, I have also mentioned this to the doctor during an appointment as an after thought but just got a really funny look!
I recently was working a lot and found that my desire to do it decreased and now that i have had more free time to do it I am letting it take over again! Keeping busy obviously helps.

I am 53 years old and for me body rocking has been a lifelong compulsion. I happened to mention the problem to my doctor and for the last six months I have been taking  two 300 mg. capsules of Gabapentin or Neurontin. It stops the body rocking but if you want to rock again just stop taking the medication for a couple of days and the body rocking will return. I spent so many hours daily body rocking for over half a century that I don't really know what to do with myself when I'm not bouncing.
I have been rocking forever aswell and im about to be 17. I feel like it will never stop but im glad to know im not alone. I have told my boyfriend and im surprise he is still with me. He actually saw me do it once it wasn't as crazy as normal but im glad he understands. My parents want me to stop and it is because of what it is doing to my body physically. I have been experiencing some back and leg pain. Including pain in other parts of my body. I am told this is do to my rocking habit (by my parents). Rocking sort of sooths me and it is really hard to STOP! only people like you all can understand how addicting it can be. I rock in a back in forth motion and i rock on my knees. I like to bob my head fast too sort of like a metal rock group (lolz). I try to find more comfortable positions that dont cause pain but that is not easy either. If any of you have any suggestions that would be helpful.
I'm a 34-year old who just told her boyfriend of almost 4 years that she was a 'body rocker'. Like many of you, I was really ashamed of this 'disorder' or 'compulsion'. He decided to look it up online and found this site. I'm amazed at how many people do this! I started rocking in my crib (on all fours, bouncing up and down), in cars, swinging my body front and back, and in bed, rocking side to side, generally before going to bed, but often in the middle of the day.  I also twirl my hair about 30% of the time. I think these behaviors are all related...
I don't know how or exactly when it happened but I stopped body rocking at about 27 years old. I didn't try to stop or really wanted to. My rocking wasn't interfering with my life, it brought a sense of relaxing/dreaming to my daily life. I used to start rocking in the middle of my sleep, without even knowing! Now I never do it and I don't feel different.

I think that, if body rocking isn't interfering with your life, you shouldn't worry about it and you shouldn't take medicine for it. Who is to say what is considered as normal? If your spouse or partner doesn't accept what you do, then maybe this person isn't right for you.
Well said!  It is only a problem if it interferes with your daily life, i.e., if you would rather rock than go out with friends, etc.  Take care all you body rockers!  
Wow! I thought I was the only person apart from my siblings who did this!. Im 46 years old and rocked back and forth from as far as I can remember. I must admit I came from a very abusive family (constantly beaten on a daily basis) I found rocking back and fourth to music as a way of escape. I would imagine I lived somewhere else or let my mind float of into a happier place. Its great to read that other people did/do this. Thank you for sharing your story.
Thank you all for sharing your stories. I dont feel alone or ashamed anymore.
I am so happy I found this site!  I have been a "bouncer" since early childhood.  I would put a pillow on the floor, between the stereo speakers and "bounce" my head to music and daydream for hours.

I only quit bouncing in my thirties ( I am now in my mid forties).  Interestingly enough, I began drinking heavily when I quit bouncing-I quit bouncing when I was discovered by a houseguest who laughed horribly at me.

I recently decided to quit drinking, and I have found that by resuming my bouncing to music, I have no alcohol cravings at all!  Do any other bouncer/rockers have the same issues with substance abuse/alcohol?
I have a 6 yr old who does a full body rocking motion when he goes to bed. He puts his left hand under his head and rolls to the right in a violent motion and back and forth he goes sometimes for hours. He was placed with us through CPS and he has always done this since he was brought here 2 years ago. Sometimes I have to get stern with him to make him stop so he will sleep. He has visitation with his mother for the weekend but he seem exhausted when he comes back and full of anxiety. I have been wondering if he is Autistic for a while. He has been in play therapy and has a psychologist who treats him for anxiety. He also has a hard time identifying when someone is sad or hurt does not seem to have empathy for them....Anything you can tell me would help. Thanks ***@****
I think the psychologist is going to have the best answers for you.  We are not doctors.  Obviously he has been through some stressful times in his short life and what he is developing are coping mechanisms.  Let the psychologist lead you.  Ask questions and ask what you can do to help ease his anxiety.  What you do now will make a big difference in his future life.  Being stern IMO is not going to really help.  You can tell him to stop rocking but the reality is that it may not really be under his control right now.  He may not even know why he is doing it.  So give a wide berth, ask questions, and ask how you can help him through this stressful time in his life.  And thank you for caring enough to take in someone else's child and trying to provide him with a nice stress-free life.  :)
I do this i thought i was crazy i'm 16 and worrying about my life and if my friends would ever find out i wonder why i constantly do it, it becomes a need especialy in the morning it become apart of my routine and i really want to break it is there anyway how????
I understand your concerns for you son to stop rocking when he is in bed but this may be a way for him to deal with what ever trauma he may have sustained before being placed in your care. This coping  strategy is not harmful to him in any way its just a form of release in his mind. He can close his eyes and imagine wonderful thoughts when doing this. As JGF25 mentioned that we are not medical professionals but we are ppl who have experienced this all our lives, its not detrimental at all to his (our) health its just away of feeling good inside. I strongly urge you not to be stern with him as he may not have any other way to feel good within him self. Please seek professional advice to help if you really need to. Please dont make this child feel that what he is doing is wrong....because its not wrong it can be quiet soothing.
Have you tried medication? I am 53 years old and have been body rocking for the last 52 years until my doctor prescribed 600 mg. of Gabapentin or Neurontin for me. I advise you to tell your parents about this body rocking as it seems to be a form of OCD. I wish I had known about medication but I'm a child of the 60's and 70's and this 'body rocking' has only recently been studied. Don't end up like me rocking your way through life and when middle-aged have nothing to show for it. I try to help when I can and I'm telling you medication has stopped the body rocking for me. The only thing though is once problems are discovered and corrected later in life there's more of a history of a negative pattern that is harder to overcome. Contact me and I can give you my personal email address if you want further info or your parents want to know how to help you. My mother was clueless about how to stop my body rocking so this condition kind of ruined my youth. Don't want to see the same thing happen to you as this body rocking is more serious than appears on the surface.
I am 53 years old and have been body rocking for more than half a century. I recently stopped when I started reading up on this body rocking and finally told me doctor about it. She told me it was a form of OCD and prescribed 600 mg. of Gabapentin to stop it. I've been on Gabapentin or Neurontin for a year and haven't bounced since. Talk to your parents about this OCD and have them take you to a doctor that specializes in OCD. Hate to see you ruin your life like I did with this body rocking. While other teens were at proms and socializing I was at home body rocking and living in a fantasy world.
I'm a fifty two year old female who has rocked for as long as I can remember. I started on a sofa, busted the springs out of it. Then went to a rocking chair wore the springs from it and had to be replaced. Mom tried to keep me off it.
Didn't work. I have always rocked either on a couch or chair, ( had my own rocking chair in my bedroom and wore the spring out and mom replaced them for me. My family talked about it when I was in my 40's and they thought it was from stress from parents fighting all the time. They divorced after 23 years but they couldn't stay away from each other and never remarried. I quit doing the sofa rocking by age 11 and just rocked in a rocking chair. With music it was better. I find when I'm under alot of stress or upset I tend to rock on a chair or standing and sitting. I don't worry about the whys and never have. I figure your mind knows what to do to keep everything together.
I am so happy to have found this forum. Until now I thought I had to be the only person on the planet who was so attached to rocking. My grandmother bought my sister and I swivel rocking chairs when I was probably 10 years old and since then I have owned many - I wear them out within a number of years. I am 41 with 2 children; my son is 17 months and having an infant in the home has only increased the number of hours I can spend rocking back in forth in a glider. My mother and sister laugh and me and I must admit I am somewhat embarrassed at times but I wasn't really able to explain the comfort rocking brings me until I read and related to many of these posts. As a teenager and into my early/mid 20's I would listen to music for hours with earphones while in a rocking chair positioned in front of a window. I was CONSTANTLY daydreaming either about some guy I had a crush on or just about living a more "perfect" life - in retrospect I realize now I may have allowed this behavior to interfere with my social life. I grew up in a very loving home despite my father's drinking - he was never physically abusive but his words could be quite cruel. However, my mother was and still is the most supportive and loving woman I've ever known - her presence alone made up for my father's lack of personality. I wonder now though if subconsciously I was suffering and the rocking chair helped soothe the emotional hurt (ironically the grandmother I mentioned who bought me my first rocker was my father's mother - perhaps she had more insight about her son and his parenting skills than I gave her credit for). Either way - I still enjoy rocking in a chair and I don't have a desire to change that about myself. I realize that I have a household to manage and children to take care of and a job to go to (I'm a middle school science teacher with a BS, MS and an EdS so rocking may have interfered with my social life slightly at one point but it didn't interfere with what I guess I perceived as the more important aspects of my life such as going to college and gaining a career) but rocking sure helps relieve the stresses of my day-to-day life. My goal is to tear up at least 5 more gliders or swivel rockers in my lifetime :-)
I used to rock on all fours as a child and eventually stopped in my mid to late teens, I now have a 17 year old daughter who is doing the same thing and is about to go off to university, she will be living in halls with other students and I am worried that she will be picked on or bullied because of this, can anyone give me any feedback on their experiences of taking Gabapentin, any side effects, mood changes, depression etc, thanks to all who have contributed to this very interesting blog
How does your daughter feel about rocking?  Does she do it in public or is it something she does only at home?  
My story, like all our stories, is very complex. The Lord has created us, human beings, with such love. Unfortunately, we have to many problems to apreciate what he has done for us all and we dive into self destruction, most of us never knowing what real life is. Here I share my story, for I know we can be cured of anything in this life through Faith.
I don´t remember with what age I’ve started to built my own world, but it was quite preferable to the real one. I created a world of my own, where only I had access to, whenever and wherever I could. Everything I needed was there and I made sacrifices when I had to get out to face the real world. My family was problematic, I barely saw my father, which worked during the day and studied at night. We lived in a constant stressful environment at home and to escape it, in order to provide for myself what I didn’t have in reality, my mind created an alternative world, where I could do have and be whatever I desired.
My father passed away when my and my brother were 11 and 10. It was the summer of 85. After that, my mother started to work and she didn’t have much time for my and my brother, she had so much to take care of. So we both dived into our worlds even deeper. I sank into depression and stayed indoors for 6 months. We quited school, my brother started working at 12 and I around 15. Television, music, daydreaming, overeating and what you call body rocking was our life more then ever. My case was even worse.It seemed we were on our own. Nowone would see us going out with friends. Our way of life always was until today, home school home, home work home. Today I’m 39, almost 40 and my brother is 38. He stopped much before me, I continued as further as I could, until…

A few years ago, I started to feel  I needed to face the world as it was, and be brave to live in it. Or else, I knew I would spend my life living in a world of make believe and there would be a moment where I, when it would be too late, would realise it, and that’s a feeling I didn’t want to have. I’ve worked for 20 years as a hairstylist and went through many struggles, because I had to fight my constant need to get away from people and go home in order to feel secure. I had a great lack of self esteem, self confidence, emotional insecurity. And so, meanwhile I worked I was always in my world, rarely coming our to the real one.
In 2010 I decided, after a inner debate, to change my career, because I gave the best of my abilities and didn’t get to feel accomplishment. I was 36 and needed to thing fast. I decided to change to the hotel industry for many reasons, among them my desire to travel, the love for different cultures and languages. I went to the university and, meanwhile I worked, I started to adapt myself to the academic world.

2011 – the year my life crumble. My believes where new age: spiritism, astrology, cristals, reiki and so on. Along side with that, was my own separate world. I knew I had to come out of the world where I felt protected very slowly, so I could adapt to the shock. I went back and forth so many times, retrieving whenever I needed confort or felt threatened. That was until not too long, a long journey. Still today I sometimes daydream when I imagine possible different lifes I could or can have. The problem is, meanwhile we daydream we let our precious time pass by and we don’t accomplish anything. I’ve made a thousand plans and had so many great ideas but then, due to fear and insecurity things don’t come true.
But continuing: one of my colleagues started to talk to me about Jesus Christ. We would sit at school and he would start talking to me, which made me feel very embarassed with the attention. He started to mention the new age movement and how it goes agains’t the teachings of the Bible. I didn’t understand why he keep on speaking to me about the Bible and Jesus Christ. Somehow, I was the only one who listened to him, meanwhile our other colleages were at times seating beside us, turning their heads and attention to something else. What he tought me went agains’t everything I believed in. I suffered an imense emotional shock, because I thought I was on the right path. Meanwhile I was fighting my own inner battle another challenge came to me: the knowledge that this world isn’t quite as it is shown to us, and that there is a great stuggle between good and evil. The one’s who have an idea of what it is written in the Bible know what I mean.
Too many things started to come to my mind, I started discovering that I was wrong on my way of thinking, of living, of expressing myself. I have been a world of problems all my life. And I still continue to discover more, because when you decide to convert to Jesus Christ and you are willing to walk His path, you start to discover your truth and the truth of this world. Why do we face so many problems? Because when we are born, we inherit problems that exist from too long ago, which come from the condition of humanity. We are depressed and addicted to anything that helps us escape from reality because we can’t cope with it. We live is this beautiful creation which is planet earth but we live at war – with ourselves and the rest of the world. Only love can save us and the Lord already gave himself to us, showing how we can be free and happy, but we are blind to see it. We can’t make it on our own, we don’t have the strenght. It is written on the Bible that Jesus Christ said that we can’t so anything without him. I am a witness of that. I’ve been engaging on a huge struggle to free myself from the person I used to be and I feel I have just started, because when you come close to purity you discover how impure you have been. Because the strenght of evil is so great only in the name of Jesus Christ we can be saved.
From my way of life since I was a child, constantly in closure, living in fear, stress, ansiety and negativity, I became very ill. I got psoriases around 5 or 6 years of age and that made me shut down from the rest of the world even more. I experimented so many things on my skin I eventually got tired and gave up on trying. The beach was the only relieve for me but I didn’t want people to see my skin like that. Many years ago I also got a severe thyroid condition, which affected my entire body, but I avoided going to doctors because I didn’t want to be on medication for the rest of my life. So I keeped myselg going as far as I could, until I couldn’t go on any more.

Our emotional state affects our bodies because our within needs to express itself and if we don’t understand that, we die in ignorance. That almost happened to me. It became so bad that last year I started to loose my strenght without understanding why, I wanted to move forward but my body just couldn’t keep up with what I wanted to do, so I had to surrender and started to dedicate myself to my health like I’ve never done before. I know that our mind expresses it self on our bodies and our physical bodies are the reflection of who we are and feel. When we block that we better prepare for problems. I’ve lived frustrated my hole life not knowing I was the only one stopping myself from living…it’s too sad. I never had a long term relationship nor I have children not only because it’s very hard to find the right partner but also because I don’t trust and allow anyone to come close enough out of fear of getting hurt and feeling vulnerable and unprotected. That’s a risk I would not want to take. And so, I decided to leave it in the hands of the Lord, He’s the only one who knows what’s best for me, for all of us.
Continuing: I had the proof that psoriases can be healed because in 2006 I imploded with frustration, lost the strenght on my body and went to the hospital for the first time. For four days I had fever like I never had before and I barely ate. I didn’t even remember I had the skin problem meanwhile I was there, I was so tired of fighting against myself I just let myself go. When I returned home I had lost weight, and no psoriases. It was the first time since I was a young child I saw my skin like that, just like it never happened. But I knew It would come back because I was home again and I would have the same stress upon myself again. And so it did.
I did many researches and  took many medications to several problems I have and I am now in a healing process. I tried many things until I’ve learned that I do not have the power to heal myself. The ones who say that we have are wrong because what we face is too strong for us to deal with. Our only salvation lays in the Lord Jesus Christ. Two years ago I would not think I would believe that today,  but I have been experiencing that in my own life. I read many books: 10 years ago I felt so miserable, trying to find the answer for my constant sadness I started reading novels – no answer. Self-help books – I thought there was an answer. Spiritual books -  I felt I came closer. I finally bought my first Bible around two years ago. And I finally found the answer: We live in an illusion. One of possession, selfisness, consumption..illusion. Television, magazines and so on give us the poison they want us to drink. Try to avoid watching tv and stop reading the tabloids and you’ll feel with so much time in your hands, you won’t even know what to do with yourselves. Your head starts to feel lighter because the media bombs us with horrible news and ideals of beauty, possession, consumption and so many negative things. I always though I didn’t have enough time for all the things I wanted to do until I realised I didn’t wanted to face my responsabilities.
What’s the use of dreaming on the life we want to have and on the person we want to be if we have the opportunity in our hands to accomplish it but out of fear, we avoid it? Each and one of us was created unique but we admire everybody else, thinking they are better than us. We are brough up in society to think that we need to be better than anyone else and to have everything we can buy - more and bigger - in order to feel accomplished. But there is not one human being feeling accomplishment in this world without the strenght of the Lord all mighty through Jesus Christ – our holy saviour – that asks us very little in return for the so much He has done for us. We live in depression because we lack the love, and we do anything we can think of to reach it, but in vain.

There is a cure for all diseases in this world, but the cure is not from this world. Don’t let your life pass by you. The cause of our unhappiness, our emptiness, is due to us being apart from our Creator. Nothing and no human being can replace that love. I searched all my life throught so many thoughts and experiences and only now I can say that I have been saved from myself and that I am happier than I’ve ever been. My salvation was to put myself in the hands of the Lord all mighty and to never let go, and has time goes by and I ask Him what I need, having Faith to receive it, I feel my life transforming. It was so scary, when I realised I had to make a decision, that I couldn’t let myself go anymore, living without care, in indulgence, doing whatever to avoid reality, responsability and consequence. It takes so much courage. Right now I’m still studying, living in my mother’s house with my brother. I don’t go out much and I don’t work, I have few friends. I know that this life doesn’t reflect who I am, but I am too grateful to express the extraordinary opportunity that was given to me, to rediscover myself, who I really am, to be healed not only through treatments, mostly natural - the only medication I take is a pill for my thyroid – but mostly through realising my reality and the reality of the world we live in. We need to face the truth and to deal with it. The truth is not from this world, this world is filled with lies.

May the Lord bless us all, in the name of Jesus Christ.
Hi JGF25 My daughter has been to the doctors about it and he told her it was just caused by stress, I have a fairly good relationship with her but she will get really stressed out when I talk to her about it, as the doctor also told her that there was no treatment for it.
she does it when she is lying in her bed listening to music and it tends to be very sudden and quite violent, (like someone doing sit ups badly), she has hurt her back on occasions also. she tells me that she is aware of doing it but cannot do anything to stop it.
she very sensitive to peer opinion, and like many teens just wants to fit in and be accepted. any shared experiences are welcome. thanks
Wow! thank you everyone for sharing! I am happy to know i am not alone. Been body rocking since i was a baby in my crib. I am now 40 and still do it when no ones around. It comforts me and i find i can think things through more clearly. I also some times daydream.
I'm guessing that you saw a general doctor and not a psychologist?  I don't think that it is fair to say there is no treatment for it especially to a child.  You didn't say how old she was but I'm guessing teenager.  I think it is worth seeing a psychologist to learn cognitive behavioral therapy.  

As you said, it is stress related and body rocking does help her relieve the stress she is feeling.  She is sensitive to it because she more than likely doesn't understand why she has to do it and doesn't know how to make it stop.  I think saying "there is no treatment" just makes her more stressed especially since you are right, she just wants to be "normal" and fit in.  Does she do it in public or does she have a measure of control over it?  

I rocked myself to sleep for a number of years and it was violent.  It drove my three sisters who had to share a room with me crazy.  At some point it stopped but I do have OCD and my stress shows up in this form now.  

You are a caring parent and I think you need to reassure her that you can find help for this.  Make an appointment.  And show her the following video.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tr7_T_M0g4

Did you know that Bill Gates rocks?  He rocked his way through a hearing that obviously had him stressed.  I think when she sees someone like this having the same problem she will feel a bit better.  There is help out there and I'm mad that a doctor would say this.  If it was a psychologist, then find another one, and another one until you find one that says they can help.  

Let me know how it goes and take care.  
Rocking is something that is done in the mothers womb before you are born.  It is why a lot of parents are told to cradle their infants when they hold them and kind of sway them side to side.  I am 17 so younger then everyone else.  But rocking helped me get through my young age.  And I did it as well with music.  So I can say to you from experience as well as I am learning for my hobby about the brain as well as disorders for it... Because I want to help people and start an organization.  But the fact that it calms you is as far as I know because it is something natural.  Some people say they can memorize things faster when they rock, others say they get more focused..Most I talk to are like me and say they do it with music to calm their nerves.  I am a straight B student.  I do well on tests. Not so much on homework as I have my mother and father by culture I need to take care of.  
I am a teen and have rocked myself to sleep ever since I was a very young child.  I have trouble sitting still for a long time and have a short attention span and get easily distracted.  I do not have ADD, but I think it all connects to my kinesthetic learning.  Think about it - kinesthetic learners learn by doing things so imagine someone who always has to be moving to be completely still.  I can not sleep in the car, but I can shut my eyes

My mom says she always knew I was a kinesthetic learner, and my Spanish teacher pointed it out to me.  I was having trouble focusing, following directions, and noticing important details last year and my teacher told my mom it was not ADD rather she suggested it was wanting attention, as I have done that in the past, but I remember I felt like a failure because i could not move around, could not play with my hands because a student close by was controlling.  My teacher told me to sit down a lot, but I did not like sitting, why can't I stand?

I am told I am a very bright student, but I really don't understand.  How can someone be so smart but have trouble focusing?

Rocking in bed has always been a big embarrassment so I only do it at home in my own bed.  When I rock, I think about many things and finally Iget tired and stop rocking and fall asleep.  Anyone else have had similar problems?
My Stepson rocks in Bed and have broken several beds from what I can gather he also rocks in the chair in his bedroom he has High functioning Autism OCD he is nearly 22 .
He goes to college and is doing very well but spends the majority of his time in his room on the pc one poster said about those whom were in orpanages like in the chowchezqu era these children rocked basically because they were deprived of stimuli they  were bored and that brought on the rocking. it has been proved in these cases that because they had nothing to do no education no toilet training they were left there to vegitate.
Please don't misconstrude what I am saying Autistic Children Rock why? I could not tell you, why!
I don't Know I have not got the answers!
I don't know what the answer is ? but my stepson will go through a bed within 2 yrs and it's costing us a bomb in beds!.any suggestions would be really helpfull I live In the UK. I know That me and My wife Have Never rocked.

Best Wishes to you all
Hello everyone. I stumbled across this discussion after entering rocking back and forth into a search engine. I was amazed to find I was not alone. Now forty, I've rocked my entire life. Thinking back, I did it most acutely in my teens and early twenties. Home life was always very loving and comforting, although we moved house often due to my dad's work. However bullying at secondary school was pretty regular, so rocking was an escape. I would often put headphones on and listen to music for hours on end whilst rocking against the wall. It's shocking to think how much time was lost doing this!
As a child I drove my family mad with it. Mum used to tell everyone and anyone about it. Visitors would be sent up to my room to catch me doing it which was terribly embarrassing and humiliating. The subsequent mocking would make me feel ashamed. I would usually be told I was autistic or that I was retarded, a word I now hate.
However it has always been a comfort. In the daydreaming that came with rocking I was a hero like a top footballer, or one of my favourite film characters. I have always been a bit socially awkward, but in the daydreams I was someone special.
In middle age I still do it from time to time and I honestly don't really think it does any harm. Although I find I do it in phases now. I've recently been doing it after a couple of years off. There have been one or two ups and downs recently. Being stressed or undergoing big life changes seem to make me want to do it. When things are settled the compulsion ebbs. Certainly as a child I found rocking addictive, something others have mentioned here. As I've got older, my busy life prevents me thinking about it. I don't know where this comes from, but I have lots of pent up energy at times. I often grind my teeth whilst asleep and thrash my legs around in bed. Could these be linked? I don't know. All I can say is nobody here should feel ashamed as you're not alone and I don't think rocking hurts anyone. I agree with someone who said keeping busy makes you do it less, so if it is a problem, perhaps try some mentally and physically taxing things. Best wishes to all of you here.

I don't know if there is a 'cure' for body rocking but last year my psychiatrist prescribed Gabapentin for me and it does stop the body rocking. The only problem with the Gabapentin is that since music was the trigger for me to go into my 'trance' I no longer listen to music. I miss that because I really loved music but I never connected listening to music as the trigger that took me to my dream world.
thank you for your input, music is also the trigger for my daughters rocking, and she absolutely loves her music, she's 17 and has started university last week, staying in halls ( shared accommodation ) so I will have to wait and see if it affects her in her new enviroment, with regard to there being a cure, I just stopped doing it sometime during my late teen years, I have no doubt at all that my rocking was the result of trauma ( my father dying when I was eight years old ) I started playing the drums when I was 17 and that became a major part of my life for about ten years, I cannot remember ever rocking after that age but give me a rocking chair and I can just rock for ages :-)
I am so happy to hear about all of the other people in this world that have this!! I'm now 21 and I've been "rocking" since I can remember, when I was very little. I remember when I was probably 11 my mom caught me doing it and said it's a sign of mental disorders and she was very upset. So I tried for a long time to not do it because she made me feel crazy. I'm totally normal! I just get a very calm relaxed feeling from rocking. So i decided from then on I would only rock when I was certain no one was home or they were sleeping. I read quite a few posts about daydreaming while rocking. This isn't what I do. I'm almost always watching tv or just relaxing when I rock. I've never spoken to a doctor about it for fear they would put me in the looneybin. It's like every spare chance I get when I'm alone that I get in my favorite spot and rock away. I wasn't abused or anything growing up. The only thing I can think that triggered it is I can remember having these really comfy nice rocking chairs in our living room when I was little and I loved to rock in them. And when we moved we didn't have them anymore, so I've always kind of wondered if that plays into my rocking. Anyways, thanks everyone for sharing. This makes me feel a lot better.
I rock all the time,  but never in public.  I feel "soothed". When I do.  I am 54, and a health care professional who works in a high stress environment.  I do not feel it is maladaptive at all.  As a matter of fact I think it is thereputic.  It is like when you were little and your mom rocked you in the rocking chair.  My husband thought I had some neurological disorder, but I don't.  I am fully conscience of what I am doing
Wow...lots of rockers here. I too thought I was alone in this aspect...to some degree. I use to rock as a child on my hands and knees, head on the ground, in a rolling back and forth motion. Then as I aged, around 3 or 4, I started bouncing my head up and down on the pillow at night. My parents called it "fighting the head board" because many times I would be completely asleep (or rather dazed) and would be banging my head on the head board to the degree of bleeding at times. I finally stopped bouncing at age 17 or so. I started rocking on the couch when I had my first baby. I would rock him back and forth for hours. Then my next 2 I did the same way. I am now 42 years old and still rock back and forth to this day. I love to rock.
I do not have a problem with thinking about what I look like to other people, because I really don't care. I am not bothering them. My problem is lately, by rib cage has began to bother me. the lower part in the front on each side and center. Sometimes it feels swollen. Has anyone else experienced this? I like the rocking and wish to continue on (its so soothing :)) but cannot with the pain.....
Celexa (Citalopram), 20mg a day, did the trick for me.  Now, even if I TRY to rock -- like I did hours every day for decades before -- I don't get the same sense of exhilaration and comfort back that sustained it before.  Now I get more productive hours in my day.  I also seem to get to sleep faster, as if it's because my only entry back into the dream state I enjoyed while rocking before is now a good night's sleep.  
hi im female im 42 years old i have a boyfriend and for me i think i rock back and fourth when im asleep and its driving my so called boyfriend mad my problem why i do it is because my boyfriend doesnt hug me or anything like a normal couple do and i rock for comfort and to feel secure my boyfriend is telling me to go to the doctors to see if they can help me to stop rocking i told him when a magic wand comes out i will sort it myself
Well, I too am a rocker. I know why I rock. I grew up in a scary environment. One of fear, neglect, and abuse. I and two of my cousins started rocking at roughly the same time after we witnesses a traumatic event. Despite this, I thought they did it for fun and I needed it for...well I didn't know at the time but I somehow knew that for me it was deep. And I knew it made me weird. But it was the least of the things that made me weird and it was comforting. I see where some of you want to stop or think this is maladaptive, but I argue that it is the opposite. Rocking restores the original ME to myself. It deconstructs the self created by emotional and sexual abuse, neglect, violence and trauma. I am the only one of my generation who grew up in that wasteland called the projects to completely break the cycle. I did well in school when I should have flunked out and become a teen mom. I went to college, the first in my family, and came home with two degrees. I am a professional married mother of two living the American ideal for whatever that's worth. May not sound like much if you don't know where I came from. The point is rocking, being able to disconnect from the matrix and imagine my true self achieving my goals enabled me to do all this; build this life with almost nothing.  So for me it is not malpractice, it is healing. Ask yourselves what it does for you, what it can do for you before you try to get "cured". The side effects of the cure , I.e. medicine, might be worse than the discomfort you feel because the rest of the world doesn't understand. And for those of you who feel you have wasted time, perhaps you should redirect your thoughts while rocking to one's that encourage, or inspire action. Think of rocking as meditation, prayer, revitalization, a space of healing. It healed me.
I'm so relieved I'm not the only person that does this...It's so weird and I have always done it ever since I was a small child, when my favorite cartoon theme songs would start to play on t.v. I would sit on the couch and rock away... It made me relaxed and it calmed me... Now I am 21 years old, and I can't seem to stop. I'm a grown woman and I'll sit on the couch with my headphones plugged into my laptop or my ipod and rock while listening to music, sometimes I'll do it nice and slow, and then sometimes I'll rock back and forth violently lol, really depends on what type of music is playing. When I do this I daydream of being someone famous, doing things that I would NEVER be able to do in reality...It's like when I start to daydream, I become a whole different person from who I really am. The only problem that I've had with this is that now that I'm 21, it's sooo embarrassing when my dad walks in on me, and he sees me doing this.. rocking violently back and forth, and when he catches me, I'm like a deer stuck in headlights, my face is expressionless, and I have no words...I just feel and look so ashamed, and he just looks at me like I am disabled and asked why I do that? he says I have the mind of a 5 year old... so yea, it really ***** when that happens. I've never been able to find a way to explain to him, why I do this, cause he already thinks I should be put away in the "crazy" house... I have tried really hard to just listen to the music without rocking, but it just doesn't feel the same unless I'm rocking, It's like I'm just obsessed and I have to rock back and forth always. It just feels good to know they're others out there like me (:
Rocking is a way to relieve stress.  Some people do it differently but there does seem to be a musical element to a lot of people's rocking.  Some can control it in public and others cannot.  Tell your father that this is how you let stress go.  Tell him it is sort of like meditation but with movement.  Meditation is not unlike your daydreams.  It takes you away to somewhere else.  I am a fan of daydreaming.  I do the same that you do.  I become someone famous or in my case younger :)  Anyway I think if we spent our entire day rocking and day dreaming then we are in trouble.  But if you have a life outside of the rocking and it is not interfering then I say let it be (no pun intended).  Have you seen Bill Gates rocking?  He rocks.  I can find you the link if you like.  Perhaps your father wouldn't think you need to be carted off to the crazy house when he sees Bill Gates rocking.  Of course he isn't doing it violently but it is pretty darn obvious that it is in reaction to the stress he is under.  
Do you think It may be some form of autism?? I do have trouble sometimes with finding a way to communicate with people, I often comes off as extremely "shy" and awkwardly quiet to most. But I do have friends that I like to hang out with, and don't seem to find myself shy at all when I am around them. I guess it's because I've known them for most of my life and it's just easier to talk to them than it is for me to talk to others. Sometimes I find it quite difficult to even talk to my own parents, Like I said they think I have some sort of mental issue, but I just find it easier to talk to my peers more than them.  
Hi guys! i'm 34 and i rock too! my mother was doing it as well but not so often and when i was little she took me in her lap and rocked with me so this is how i got into the habit. laptop or a cd player huge high quality earphones and there i am. i live with many different people around me and they all quickly realise i'm out of this world when i'm doing this and learn to stop calling me by knocking on my door yelling or phone. they do it by a light switch. on and off and on and off and on and off and i wake up from my daydreaming:)))). some think it's cute some think it's weird some think it's funny but they all accept it in the end. cause it's me and it's what i do. i've never hated my rocking and never have been embarrassed because of it. it's my stress relief. and i've never thought there was anything wrong with my daydreaming. but yes luckily i'm very smart so i didn't have problems in school though i was rocking for hours and hours every day. now i have a great life i'm happy all of my dreams that i used to daydream about while rocking came true because i put some much attention into it. for me it was a gift received from my mother. so i think it's body's way of coping with different things and you shouldn't forcefully stop it just because you're embarrassed. you should find out what is the thing you're trying to cope with. if it's just a normal stress we all have then a couple of hours a day of rocking won't hurt neither you neither it should hurt people around you. but if you feel the need to do it constantly then that means your stress levels are way too high and you have to do something about the way things are in your life. and then when you reduce the stress levels rocking will reduce to an acceptable rate. you also have to dare to live go out there and do different things that scare you. it's awesome to live a life in your head for a while but you will never know if your daydreams can come true if you don't try and start living them! it is scary and i was painfully shy as well but i clenched my teeth and went to drama school. my ultimate dream was to be an actress and now i'm not just an actress! i do musical theatre! this is how my hours with the headphones and music paid off!
I. have always "bounced" ever since I can remember my parents told me that I started doing it when I saw anither kid doing it when I was very young and ever since then if i find myself in a straightbacked chair listening to anything from trance to metal i bounce it used to put me into a sleeplike state and it was very calming I also bounce my head on my pillow and if im on my back i shake my head lrft to right it gets dizzying but feels awesome Ive always thought I was the only one!
I will be 40 years old in a couple of weeks and I always sway from side to side when I stand. I don't really remember when I started doing that but people do make comments or ask me why and I have no answer. I also shake one or both of my feet a lot when sitting and it tends to get on people's nerves, especially if I sitting on the bed because it shakes it. I have no answer for why I do this. Maybe someone out there could help me understand why.
It is your body's way of relieving stress.  If it isn't bothering you, then it isn't a problem.  
My sister  and I rock and a few other family members rock and we are all fine. We sit in a chair or on a couch and rock back and fourth fourth with our backs. We also rock in the bed, by banging our heads on the pillow-its not as crazy as it sounds. Or I obnouxisly,bang my foot while laying down if for some reason I can't rock. We have been doing it since we could sit up by ourselves. My niece is two years old and she does it. We typically do it in private, when we are relaxed, like watching television or listening to music. I'm older (25) so I don't feel the need to rock as often,probaly because I spend less time on the couch to rock. However, there are plenty of times when I will get up in the middle of night, if i cant sleep and rock for hours until I doze off. Or we would sit and rock for hours while watching tv or listening to music. Its puts you in a comfortable zone. I don't think your crazy or have some type of disorder if you rock. Rocking actually relaxes your brain cells, thus making you feel relaxed. While rocking may seem odd to many people it is greatly accepted in my family- I think its heriditary (lol) Or maybe the child witnesses someone else doing it and they pick it up. My family is far from crazy, complex, OCD, or any medical term you may feel the need to use. My family is filled with sane teachers, Biologist(Myself), Marine, Army, Navy and RN's and respiratory therapist. So if you rock you are fine, as long as it doesn't effect in a way that keeps you from carrying out your daily activities- work,school,family, diet ect.
My sister  and I rock and a few other family members rock as well and we are all fine too. We sit in a chair or on a couch and rock back and fourth fourth with our backs. We also rock in the bed, by banging our heads on the pillow-its not as crazy as it sounds- its comfortable. When I'm doing my hw and I need a break I go to my couch and rock until im ready to get back to the real world..lol. I also obnouxisly,bang my foot while laying down if for some reason I can't rock. We have been doing it since we could sit up by ourselves. My niece is two years old and she does it. I primarly do at home or around my friends and family and when we are relaxed, like watching television or listening to music. When I rock I'm usually daydreaming. I'm older (25) so I don't feel the need to rock as often,probaly because I spend less time on the couch to rock. However, there are plenty of times when I will get up in the middle of night, if i cant sleep and rock for hours until I doze off. Or we would sit and rock for hours while watching tv or listening to music. Its puts you in a comfortable zone. Rocking actually relaxes your brain cells, thus making you feel relaxed. While rocking may seem odd to many people it is greatly accepted in my family- I think its heriditary (lol) Or maybe the child witnesses someone else doing it and they pick it up. My family is far from crazy, complex, OCD, or any medical term people may feel the need to use. My family is comprised with sane teachers, Biologist(Myself), Marine, Army, Navy and RN's and respiratory therapist.
I am 71...and have rocked all my life.  I am a retired real estate broker and now work part time as a money counter at a casino in a secure vault...so now I get paid to stand in one place for hours a day counting....and I ROCK....
Omg, this is amazing!  I thought my brother and I were the only ones who did this!  While it appears we all seem to have our own rituals, much of what people are saying we do as well.  As twins, we are the only ones in the family that do this.  We like to rock back and forth with our upper bodies in the recliner while listening to music.  When we were younger we did is constantly on the couch.  I was always embarrassed when anyone outside of the family saw, and eventually I reduced the behavior to once a day to relax.  But it's always been a source of comfort and still is, for both when I was happy or sad, whenever I had anxiety [which I get a lot] and even when I'm sick to sooth my stomach.  It's great to know we're not alone!
I love how you described your situation. I'm in the same boat at 24! I lock my bedroom door and do it on my bed now.. I used to have a couch JUST for rocking (in my bedroom).. Now since I'm so old... I don't want anyone to see.. I'm too ashamed of it.. This forum has really opened my eyes! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!
My friends my friends - you are all so amazing to me!!.  Like so many others on here I never realized there were other adult rockers/bouncers out there.

Ever since I can remember  and until I was 42 I daydreamed, rocked and bounced for hours on end to music.  Reliving and reconstructing events of the day.  Every day and sometimes when I lived alone all weekend -non- stop.  My parents knew I did it but chose to ignore it.  As an adult I was ashamed of it and hid it - even when I lived with others, I would lock myself away in a room and find ways of doing it that were not so obvious - so I moved from chairs to balancing on cushions on the floor (so that the chairs didn't creak).  I have caused problems in my legs with cramping (I would sit on them and rock).  I am now 59 and have not rocked for 17 years.  In fact I can't do it now because I suffer from vertigo and go dizzy at the slightest movement.  A result of rocking?  Probably.

Like so many others on here I grew up in a violent and restless household.  My mum was a pretty good mum in lots of ways but my dad was volatile and violent as was my older sister towards me at any rate.   We had no money, didn't go out and, as children, were not played with.  I used to think the rocking was a response to boredom but it was also an escape from a pretty harsh childhood.

Now that I don't rock life seems a much harsher place to me -  I no longer have my dream world and my dream persona and am forced to face the grim realities of life and people as they really are.  I miss those dreams. I never listen to music now.  I don't quite understand why because I used to think I loved music but perhaps what I loved was the beat of it and the sense of movement it brought me.  

But I am also much more productive and creative now and I bitterly regret that I spent so much of my life (whilst others were going out and making a life for themselves) rocking and daydreaming.  Now I have a long term partner a child and the trappings of a semi-successful life and people think I am a confident, outgoing person.  Big laugh.

Thank you so much for starting and contributing to this post. I cried when I started to read it. I have never spoken of rocking before but I have just told my long term partner what I used to do and he looked at me like I was mad.  Oh well.
im forty years old and have done the same thing my whole life. ive always just used it as an escape. my husband is the only one who knows the extent to which i do this. i have mixed feelings about it. it  can seem like a waste of time, but i do find that i come up with some really good ideas while rocking. sometimes i even pray to God while rocking.
I have to agree, I'm 18 and i've been rocking ever since i could. when my mom stopped rocking me i started to pick it up on my own. it has really taken over my life. any time i have free time i rock. sometimes i postpone what i need to do so i can rock, it also doesn't help that i have very severe eczema that makes me break out all over in hives if i switch temperatures too quickly. i couldn't even maintain the relationship that i had with my boyfriend because if i stopped rocking for days on in i would get really antsy and of course he didn't know what was wrong with me because i was too ashamed to tell him. it would get to the point where some part of my body had to be moving back and forth. i never knew so many people rocked. seeing this site and all these post made me cry a little . i've always felt ashamed and felt as though i was not normal, and in a sense im still not, but in this day and age normal is the new social outcast . i just wnted to say THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who decided to share there story. May all of you be and stay blessed.... oh HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!
Hello fellow body rocker I'm21 and am only able to sleep if I rock for 30 min while thinking about my day and my girlfriend and pass out and continue in a deep sleep rocking my whole body for about 30 min and  again about2 hours before I know I need to wake up and go to work for at least an hour is they're any medication that could help me I'm always so rest less please contact me on Facebook Travis Watford and Paul we have body rocking compulsive disorder btw
I have the same thing since before I can even ever remember iv always done it I get the day dream to but also I bang my back of my head and it's not for just 10 mins it's hours sometimes can do it for a whole day I get an ergs to do it and I can't help it am 24 now and it's scary to be honest I don't so it gently either even when banging my head iv also knocked myself out completely doing it does anyone no what it is or why?
rocking - its common and very harmless. People like music and rythm and most babys rock in their cribs. Its nothing to worry about -why do you think rocking chairs are even made. cause its been popular since the early rise of civilization. don't worry about rocking. its a form of meditation and relaxation. the harm comes when a family member or parent classifies you as "abnormal" because you rock.  if you believe them then it hurts your self image.
Im 26 and have been doing it since i can remember. My mother still does it now and then to music, as i do. It does put you into a deep trance but i guess it kind of comes with the daydreaming package. Though i started it, doing it with my head against the crib till my head bled. When i was younger i found that when i drank milk and rocked id hear a noise in my stomach. Like a drip from a tap. It may sound bizarre but things like that made it worthwhile as a child and interested me into knowledge of my body. But it was only milk it worked with.. I also believe it taught me rythmn. As a musician now i trace my understanding of rythmn back to my childhood rocking id know when a chord would strike back into a song without counting the beats while rocking and think i was a genius. Not only that id do it in bed head between knees (sometimes with headphones on) almost as if i was building up the biggest gambole through the wall. Sometimes waking upside down the next morning tangled up in headphone cables. You might be reading this with half raised eyebrows but its a common thing and everyone has their own ways and stories. But it seems no matter how you did it. Its a comfort that was right and true in the shaping of you.
This is amazing! I thought I was the only person in the world who did this rocking. I just decided to search rocking to music and found this page. I rock intensely (bounce) while sitting down listening to music. I will do it every morning and night. Sometimes for over an hr...more if I need to or have time. If I don't do it I cant focus on anything until I do. If I'm happy anxious, angry or even physically ill, I rock. I'm 33 and have done this since I was 2 yrs old. I don't have a clue why. It just started natural for me. The only one in my family. When I was little I ruined chairs and pillows and beds doing this. Like a lot of you are saying I daydream mostly and after I am focused and relaxed(mentally and physically). The daydreams are in a trance like state and it is actually like another world I have. It has always been far too embarrassing to tell anyone about. But now for the first time ever I don't feel crazy! Thank you everyone for sharing.
I am a 69 year old Great Grandmother. I have read every one of your stories, and like so many of you, thought that I was the only one with this strange habit. I rocked myself backwards and forwards all through my childhood, for as far back as I can remember, all through my 20's, 30's and all of my 40's.....then I gradually began to do it less and less, until I finally stopped doing it in my early 50's. I would sing as I rocked, when I was a kid, then I'd sing along to the radio or records, as I got older, although I would still sing to myself as well.
When I married and had a family, I rocked and sang in front of my two lads, but never in front of my late husband. I never knew if he was aware of my habit.If he was, he never questioned it. As my lads grew older, I would do it when they were at school or playing outside with their friends. As I went into my 30's and 40's, I would go up into our bedroom, and sit and rock as I relived my day at work. All conversations, all problems were analysed whilst I rocked and sang.
Sometimes I daydreamed too, but mostly it would be going through my day, and any problems or worries I had.
I haven't done it now for nearly 20 years, but I say to all of you who are worried about this strange past-time, ask yourself a question. Is is hurting anyone? No it isn't. Maybe, like me, you may suddenly start to find yourself doing it less and less, until one day you will realize you haven't rocked for days, then it will cease altogether.  :-)
Wow-I knew I was not alone but, now I feel so-so NORMAL. 61 rock myself to sleep often. I've never been diagnosed with OCD or  ADD but i'm certain I have them. I have perfected the need to rock when I am , if I am in a space where it is not acceptable, i simply hum some tune in my head and let my foot rock but ultimately I will  begin to gently full body rock. I am only embarrassed at the idea of having been doing this when I was unaware of it, because I can really get into it unconsciously. When I became conscious of it in my 30;s I began to try and do it in a controlled way because I knew something was not right with me. Connecting it to my mother makes sense. I have never seen a picture of her holding me. And she reminded my DAILY of how she almost DIED giving birth to me. SO rocking me was probably high on her list- (LOL) At any rate, finding this group has REALLY made my day. OCD creates lost of isolation. Being raped and molested probably did not help either. But here i am. On this planet-in this world-trying to make the best of the skin I was born in. HELLO TO EVERYBODY!!!!
I've been rocking for as long as I can remember. It was my way of feeling relaxation. I rocked when I  was nervous,scared, happy, sad. I felt like I was in heaven. I used to rock when tragic things would happen in my house. I came from a broken home were fighting and violence happened weekly. It put me in a world were I didn't feel stress or fear. It was my meditation . Often I would rock on the couch. I would close the blinds so no one would see what a "lunatic" I was. When I was young I didn't care who saw me rocking. As I got older I would stop immediately if someone intruded. It bothered me to be watched because I wanted nothing more than to feel "normal". I felt I was the only one until I saw a man rocking in his seat in a movie theatre. I felt relieved.
Can I say "What the Hell you talking About"?
Are you a Rocker or Not?
Anyways, I BELIEVE in GOD and IM a PROUD BODY ROCKER.
It Feels Good and it helps me Think. But when I stop of course I Forget idea I came up with, Dang it.
Love rocking chair and tv. "ITs the BEST".
I will Die this way...

I have read all 266 posts and I was shocked, I was WOWED, I laughed, I was enlightened, I was in awe of the wide spectrum of rockers, and through it all I was found!  I even copied a few post to a word document and then read it to my daughter.  She said, "Why did you write that?" When I told her that I didn't that it was someone else's experience, she started laughing and then we both started laughing.  It's as if her mom was normal!  So many of you are looking for a diagnosis, and I've known it for 44 years! It's called the "Boofie Bounce." Or at least that's what my family told me it was. (My maiden name was Booth, but when I was little I pronounced it Boofie.) I was just thinking....Why do we need a diagnosis? We can make up our own, or you can borrow mine, or we could live life without being boxed in. Free to rock!  Mine started as an infant. I was very hard to put to sleep.  My mother found that if she held me and 'bounced' me while sitting on the side of the bed, I would fall asleep. (..the only thing that worked.) As a two year old, I rocked/bounced my way from Arizona to Texas and back in the backseat of our car. More bouncing/rocking continued through childhood. In high school I would rock/bounce in my car while driving. I also 'bounced' myself to sleep at the head of my bed. I would hold on to the bottom bar of my brass bed and in a kneeling/bouncy position bounce for hours while listening to music and create amazing stories of myself. I would bounce until my legs felt dead. It literally would numb me out and relax me. (And I was a high school athlete with plenty of daily activities to wear me out!) I had to stop bouncing when I  got a college room mate. That's when I learned to rock myself to sleep in bed. Later I got married, still rocked myself to sleep. When my babies came along, I was overjoyed! I got my bounce back! I bounced every one of them. (In fact, in my family I am known for my ability to put ANY baby to sleep...quickly. HA) I also got my creative stories back when I bounced.  I bounced my kids to sleep for as long as they would let me.  My youngest is 13 so the bouncing has stopped, but I still rock.  Now my rocking is more subdued. I rock standing.(Swaying side to side) ((Yes, I've been asked about it in grocery stores while standing in line.)) I rock sitting.  I rock driving. I rock in church. I rock to go to sleep.  And when I can't rock,(meaning in public) I at least rock something, like my foot or my leg.  Is it continuous, throughout the day? No. I don't do it as often as I used to and sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it. When I showed my daughter the video of Bill Gates "rocking", she said, "Mom do you realize you're rocking?" I didn't.  Did it ever interfere in my life? No. (I was fortunate.) Embarrass me? Yes, a couple of times!   Did I think it was normal? I always thought it was normal for me, so did my family.  It was part of me. Curiosity made me Google it! And what a blessing!  Do I think mine is hereditary? No. I am the only rocker on both sides of my family, and believe it or not my children came out unscathed.  Do I have 'issues" that might have contributed?   I had a loving mother who nurtured me. My family was loving and supportive.  Even though I was sexually abused as a child, and have depression and ADD, my bounce/rock had already been introduced in infancy as a coping mechanism to what I think was a physiological issue.  Why do I rock/bounce? My theory:  I think my body likes to be "in motion." Sometimes I have a "heebie jeebies" or restless feeling inside. (could be ADD, anxiety, stress, excess energy, etc.)  When I rock, I can't feel it. So it's self soothing, calming, meditative and comforting. I rock in all moods. It's just me.  I find myself in the teens who are beginning this journey to the ones who are rocking their way into retirement, and I am grateful. Sad, in a way, because I thought I was the only one with the "Boofie Bounce", but grateful to know that Heavenly Father created others just like me.  Don't be ashamed. Truth is healing ...and freeing. (This makes me want to tell everyone that I rock!-HA!)  Don't be worried -unless it takes over in an unhealthy way. Embrace it as a wonderful part of what makes you unique. Keep calm...and rock on!
Thank you for your post.  I can't believe you read all 266 of them!  :)  
How could you not? It's like finding 266 parts of yourself that you thought were just you.  Now everywhere I go I look for "rockers."
Oh my, im only 16 this year (2014) and ive done it ever since i can remember, my mom and dad say that when i had a crib i would rock it that it would move all over the room that they ended up just putting me in a bed, i also remember that when it got late i would go on my trampoline and lay on my back and bounce for almost 3 hours and just listen to music and be in my own fantasy, now i would just sit in my bed but i have to have the air-con on and have my phone light on so it brightens up the room for me to do it and it would just go on for 3-4 hours none stop and its only at home i can do it, its so weird i really want to know what it is, but i have no problem with i enjoy it, it doesnt effect my schooling i mean i will sit in the chair and rock back and forth or side to side but it comforts me and doesnt effect my studying but i would like to know what it is, because i found out the i have Restless Leg Syndrome anyone else have that? :)
hi im 20 years old and im amazed to find a number of people who rock. i rock back and forth when i listen to music and like many others, i get lost in a world of fantasy. i was told to get on the floor and do it since it can wear out couches and bed springs but im on an air mattress. i honestly dont want to stop since i only do it at home. i think home is where u can be free to do what u want.  
I am 34 and I've been rocking since I can remember, I've broken many couches and rocking chairs, I buy a rocking chair almost every two years, and that's pretty good for the rocking I do. :) I also rock to music, sometimes imagining I'm famous, and thinking of deep things or troubles. I've been caught a few times and feeling completely humiliated, I usually say I'm "Jamming" out if I get that curious look that seems to pierce through me. I've never wanted to stop because I feel like I'm processing emotions when I do it, and it's a great sleep aid for me. I had a very traumatic child hood, and I think it might be the reason why I started doing it in the first place, but honestly I don't know it's origin. At first glance I look normal to people who don't know I do it, but I've always been ashamed I rock. Thank you everyone for sharing, I don't feel so alone knowing other people do it too. Unless it really bothers you or causes physical harm, I would not recommend medication, I've taken the medications people have talked about here, and not because of my rocking, and I never stopped while taking gabapentin, not saying it does not work for everyone but it did not have that affect on me. Once again, Thank you everyone, and if anyone ever wants to talk about it, I'm open. :)
it was so good to find this page. like many others I too thought I was the only adult who rocked and now I see I was wrong thank goodness. ive rocked since I could first sit up my parents allowed it for a while and decided when I was about 6 or 7 that I could no longer do it so I had to hide because I could not stop. I laughed when I read about people who also shut curtains so as not to be seen acting crazy, I still do even when nobody is about. its nice to know I am not alone. I doubt I will ever stop I am more comfortable with myself now and don't feel the need to conform to what others think is normal
I have rocked back and forth since i was a baby...i am now 51.  I know my reasoning is suffering from both Hirschprung's and Cushing's  Two painful diseases. I was born with these two diseases; yet did not hear the diagnosis until my late twenties when my academic and work career have been ruined  It is just not a psychological issue.
I started rocking back and forth on my feet from side to side around the age of 42.  I would be trying to curl my hair in front of the bathroom mirror and found that my legs and hips didn't hurt so much when rocking from side to side as they did just standing there.  As the years went on i noticed and everyone else did, that every time i set down to eat  i would immediately start rocking either back and forth or side to side.  I'm always trying to stop my self and then sometimes not, just depends on who is around.  I have arthritis and setting still for very long at all is a very big mistake for me, I'm rocking from side to side now as i type this.  But believe it or not I think I can say that my booty has stayed very  well shaped and firm, I'm 55 years old and am always getting compliments.  So maybe body rocking isn't so bad after all!
I am 49 years old. I have been doing it all my life. Heck, when I was in the Marine Corps I did it in the privacy of my dorm when I was alone.   In fact my sister does it as well, I can spend hours rocking and listening to music. I have nice daydreams, which aids to my positive thinking and an excellent stress release. I have worn out some couches over the years (Lol). I thought I was the only one in the planet doing this.  I only do it around immediate family they assume that I am just hyperactive. Nevertheless, I stopped when visitors came because I did not want anyone to think that I was crazy. If you think about it, I guess we do not have issues if we aware of what we are doing.
You have no idea how much of a relief it is to see this forum. I have rocked back and forth since I could sit up as an infant, and I am nearly thirty now. If I'm standing, I sway side to side, if I'm sitting, my legs are tucked under me in a sort of indian-style sit, and I am rocking back and forth ESPECIALLY if there is music playing which has to be on headphones. I don't sleep much due to it, and if I stop rocking back and forth I stop breathing and have to actually sit there and REMIND myself 'inhale' 'exhale' 'inhale' 'exhale' over and over again until I start rocking back and forth again. People keep calling it a habit but honestly...that is far too light of a word for it. I've been humiliated often in life due to it, whether it was an intolerant family member barking at me in the middle of a restaurant ("People are staring, you look like a retard! Stop rocking NOW!") or the laughter that comes from people who think I'm dancing, or my personal favorite, people getting 'sea-sick' when speaking to me because of the constant repetative movement. I have gone to doctors, I have seen psychiatrists, therapists, been put on medication, diagnosed from tardive dyskinesia to torettes to many other things and I STILL have no answers as to why, nor how to stop. It's very...difficult...
Another rocker here!

Isn't it truly amazing, that since this comment was published in 2009, 278 comments have come out of this discussion. All of us think we were the only ones on the world to do it, and by god are there a lot of us who do! I was on the train home from university when I decided to google my symtoms (symptoms). I could't wait to get back home and rock, as I do every single day. Then something in my mind asked "it's time to really understand why i'm doing this". WHY am I so eager just to get home to sit on a bed with my legs crossed and rock back and fourth with my ipod in? Why I am so weird? Am I a just a freak? Do I really have Autism?

Here's my rocking story:
Since I could remember I've always been rocking. I'm 20 years old now and in my first year of study at university. From what I can remember, it started (roughly) when I was about 5 or 6 years old. I remember listening to my Tapes on my cassette player and rocking back and fourth in my bedroom. As I got older and started high school my mother started to notice I done it every single day I came home. It was taking over my life. I know many people on here have asked the question "did your mother try and stop you". My mother has tried to stop me many of times. Whenever she came into the room while I was rocking I would shout "GO AWAY!" or "KNOCK ON MY DOOR BEFORE YOU ENTER". It was like she disturbed every bit of happiness I was feeling at that moment. The more I done it the more she become concerned. She would try to talk to me about it but I got so embarrassed I would just walk away or just refuse to say anything. She was also the one who suggested to me I might have a - and I quote - "mild form of autism". Now, I KNOW for a fact I do not have this. I would consider myself clever (an under achiever at school because of the time i spent rocking instead of studying) and more creative than most of my book-smart friends. However my mother is one of the kindest and understanding women I have ever known, I was an only child and quite spoiled if I am being completely honest. So it was not the case of bad parenting. This is OUR choice what we do this, only WE can control ourselves. To this very day, I still do it. Like the same as everyone above, I just enter this euphoric world, where everything else didn't matter. The music would soothe any stress that I had. Often I sit and rock and think of things I want to be in life, places I want to go, people who I want to notice me. Making up little false scenarios which would fill me with joy.

I'm just sad that it isn't a reality. And this is why I think it is so hard to stop. It makes me quite teary to read all of your stories. I almost feel close to all of you. You people, total strangers and my mother are the only ones who know. And even at that you don't know who I am. I feel a lot better now.

I hope this post continues for years to come. To let others know that there is NOTHING wrong with you! Thank you for your stories everyone.
Another rocker here!

Here's my rocking story:

Oh yeah, had the problem all my life.  I'm 62 years old now.  Probably have had every diagnosis in the book.  Been rocking since the day I was born - used to rock the crib clear across the room.   Yes I am a kinesthetic learner and above avg. intelligence.  But "bounced" (excuse the pun) from one thing to another all my life.  Used to be told I had a "fear of success", then I was told I simply remembered being in the womb and needed that motion, and had PTSD from the birth...on and on....have had 4 evoked potentials tests, having another next week. Have had one ruptured  brain aneurysm.  Am now being told I have "executive disorder dysfunction" due to a frontal temporal degeneration probably caused by a forcep delivery or some type of traum to the frontal temporal lobe at birth.  Takes a while to diagnose, I guess.  Am now also experiencing neuro-cognitive difficulties.

I will be getting more testing as well and will report back here - not so much for myself because it's really too late for me.  My splintered life is pretty much over, but it could perhaps help someone like yourself here.

So get checked and get neuro-cognitive testing done and keep an eye on it.
Here's one other explanation one of my Neurologists gave - it's called Myoclonus-Dystonia - it is a genetic mutation of a protein that affects the brain and appears to be inherited from the paternal side:  http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/myoclonus-dystonia  It is classified as a movement disorder.  And yes, I was prone to depression in my earlier years however once I became proactive w. exercise & made sure to stay outside & get plenty of sunlight, watched my diet, etc....I've been doing pretty well.
I am 58 and have done this my whole life to music.
It is relaxing to me & I have no desire to stop.
I dont seee it as a problem, and my friends and family seem to have no problem with it, so I'm good.
If being homosexual is now normal, so is this I figure.
I found this website, and I feel like a huge weight has just been lifted off my shoulders, literally. I am the mother of a 7 year old little girl who "body rocks" but I have called it "bumping" all this time, as does she. When we are in the car, she rocks front to back, usually hitting her head off the seat behind her. If she is in the bed, she is either sitting up and like bouncing on her knees, of she is flaying her head from side to side.. She usually does this all when she is sad, scared, anxious, tired, or just overwhelmed. I am glad now to know that this is "semi-normal." I was growing really concerned because I kept mentioning it to the doctors and they all just looked at me like I was crazy and that she was fine. Now I realize I am not crazy and that she really could grow out of this. I have put her thru a lot in her life, all of my kids, but I am working everyday to change there future into a brighter one. The only time I have noticed that she doesn't rock herself to bed is when she is in the bed with me. But being 7, she needs to sleep in her own bed. Maybe I'll try to get her some soothing music, or to read her stories before bed, something to help soothe her more so that she will feel comfortable enough to just close her eyes and go to bed. I wish everyone on here the very best. Thank you because I finally realize that what is happening to my daughter is semi normal and that she isnt the only one that does it.. Thank You Thank You Thank You. God Bless You All!
I rocked on all fours up until I was 20 yrs. old.  I was able to stop soon after I got married.  As a child I was sexually/ritually abused from age 2 to12.  Is there anyone who knows if body rocking and being a victim of abuse are related in any way.
Hello  . I used to rock until i was about 27 ( ! ) and yes, i agree with you, it was like i was in another universe, specially with music playing. Thank God i got rid of it. I was confronted at church by my pastor to whom i have never confessed that. So... thank God he asked me if i would still continue to rock against the couch. Since then i have stopped that.
Wow! and Ditto!

I'm 57 now and stopped in my early 20's. I do have psoriatic arthritis, but I also have server neck pain that I believe my "bouncing" really can be contributed to.

Have no others suffered physical issues?

The best way to continue this type of daydreaming is to simply put on your music and workout, non one can see what you are dreaming :)!
What glad I found this site!
i am not the only one;0
This is a very interesting read.  I thought I was the only who did this.  As far back as I can remember, whenever I listened to music, I would sit on the floor and rock side to side.  It started off with my sister and me doing this, but as she got into her pre-teens, she stopped, but I was doing it well into my 30s.  I have always loved listening to music, and whenever I did, I would just sit on the floor Indian style, and rock side to side with my eyes closed, headphones on, usually in total or near total darkness, and the music would just always take me to another place.  I really can't explain it.  I was always sort of embarrassed by it, because I knew other people didn't do this, and I thought I was just strange, but I've always been kind of a strange kid.  Would I say this affected my social life? I can't really say. I've always been an introvert, and that most likely played into my lack of social skills,  I also grew up in a mentally and physically abusive environment. Music was just an escape from that reality, and I spent a lot of hours listening to it  I really don't regret it, because music has become such a huge part of me.  I listen to music now mostly through my computer or mp3 player, and music is so much more portable than it used to be,  I'm usually on the go when I'm listening to music, and since then, my rocking has stopped, and I haven't rocked in some years.  I'm not out of shape, but I don't know if I can actually do it anymore, since I haven't done it for so long.  But I loved reading these stories.
Hello, I have body rocked for my entire life, and I used this to get to sleep every night. Sometimes in the daytime ill fall asleep after doing it. I am 20 years old. I do it while I listen to my music every single day, for hours on end. Im not sure why I have done this, and people used to make fun of me for it. When I was younger I used to rock back and forth on the couch, and in the car. Since I have grown older I stopped doing it in public places. I only do it behind closed doors and curtains now. If I dont do it for long periods of time I feel stressed and angry. I have Bipolar and S.A.D, does this have anything to do with body rocking? Why do I do it?
I too rocked from before I could remember. It especially angered my father who  tried therapy and then to shame, beat and move me from his vicinity since I would also rock in my sleep. I had many uncomfortable nights on a horribly small couch downstairs. This is while a 6 ft. teenager, no easy task!    A few times I awoke to him beating me up in a fit of rage. PARENTS...please use compassion with this self-soothing behavior. If my father had compassion we could have simply found or made a bed that didn't squeak.   Yes, I also Loved the music and re-associated life's experience in each song, being in a world of my own. I was 20 years old when I stopped. But I still find peace in music everyday and yes, I love a good rocking chair. Looking back on what is now a funny event... At summer camp my tent mate had to alert the boy scout leader and they freaked out because they had no idea what was going on and could not wake me up... I eased their fears in the morning. And thanks to all who post. While I have been lucky enough to know one other person who used to rock, it's amazing how many still do. Rock-ON!
I would rock side to side all the time too! Its crazy I had no idea anyone else did this too! Good to know im not alone haha
Hi everyone,

I'm 33 and will be 34 this year. I have been rocking in my chair/seat for as long as I can remember. Even as a young child on the couch. I remember pretending that when rocking and all the lights are on down the hall way it was a "party" like scene. I have been made fun of by family for as long as I can remember as well. My dad was the worse. He would get so mad at me and yell. My brother and I had it very difficult child hood. Not the worse on record, but definitely sheltered. We were not allowed to do anything out side of school.  Wake up, go to school, come home do chores go to bed. Mostly b/c of his alcoholic issues. We were also very poor. Anyhow, that was our daily routine for many years. Rocking in my seat would soothe me and I still enjoy it today. I work as a limo driver, driving all the sophisticated pricks to and from the airports. When they are in the car, I can control the desire to rock. But once they are out of the car, its Game On!! lol...... I also want to see if my next statement is common with anyone else.. Now remember, I'm a 33yr old male in Florida... My GF claims no, but I think its more common that what most people want to admit.. Here is it..

For as long as I was young, (12) I always like the beat to fast paced music. My parents would NEVER let us listen to modern 90's music as we grew up. We were stuck listing to the Oldies and man I can't stand 99% of that genre as it was forced on to me growing up.  Well, since we couldn't listen to what we wanted, most of the new music I heard was on the school bus. And I never got to know the artist or song names b/c of my parents. This was in the early to late 90's we'll say for a time index. Now toward the late 90's, and with the help of the internet and downloading music, I was able to fulfill my need to listen to it. Well, since the songs of the early 90's had that beat I liked, I was curious of what modern day up beat music was available. And thats how I found Trance music. Now Trance music of 2000 compared to today are 2 completely things. Trance of 2000's is more like what I like today which is Uplifting Trance Music. Go ahead and laugh. I am very used to it. Being called queer, bc I listen to Queer music...I've heard it all before many times. Doesn't bother me as much.. (No I am not gay fyi). But there's something about uplifting trance music as I drive 80mph down the highway especially right when the sun is just peaking over the tree's in the morning or late dark at night. Its a rush and I can rock all I want with out being embarrassed or hurt. Its so soothing. And if you do this, then you know.. If not, then you can't understand. I am brave enough to post it here. Is there anyone else? Also do understand, there are many different types of "Techno" music out there about 20-30 if I remember correctly. If you feel the need to get a better idea, then hop to you tube and listen for your self. I personally like Ori Uplift. He's also on a internet radio station I frequent. So there you have it, out for the world to see and poke me with. Is there anyone else out there thats like me???

Limo Driver, Fl
hello everyone,

I've read every single post trying to find myself in the stories.. There were so many similarities..

My story is pretty much the same.. I have been bouncing for as long as I can remember, on the couch most of the time listening to music. When I was a kid ( I am 31 ) I would also bounce my head against the couch, and now only my back. I also enjoy holding a pillow on my lap. I also do this while b.rocking : "The daydreamer experiences very vivid and intricate fantasies and may become emotionally attached to the characters in their fantasies or express emotions they are feeling through vocal utterances or changing facial expressions, although most keep such behavior hidden from others. Maladaptive daydreamers know the difference between reality and fantasy; they realize that everything they are dreaming about is a fantasy" . The thing is that the characters are real persons when I daydream and I start forming emotions ( positive / negative) about them. E.g. when i daydream about a guy I am dating I start feeling in love with him ( with the idea of him), without even knowing him.

Having read all of the above, I got a bit worried that apart from the fact that this is starting to cause physical problems on my back and knees, it takes up too much time and affecting my feelings about others. Not the bouncing part, but the fact that the bouncing part and music makes it more easy for me to daydream and relax.  I was conveinced that I could stop it  only by using my will power! Well guess what? That didn't last more than a day! I started to get upset and my desire only became greater! I relapsed!

Being an adult child of an addict parent and from what I have read, I have an addictive personality and I am prone to addictions. I am a member of the 12-step programm of Overeaters Anonymous, since I realized that I am a compulsive  eater and I sometimes use food to compress my feelings! I've never tried drugs, alcohol, gambling ect.! I was too scared cause of my father's history!

After joining the program, I've reached a normal weight ! Why an I telling you all this? Here's why:

I talked about this to my phycotherapist, just a couple of days ago, cause it seemed like some kind of addiction to me. I use body-rocking in order to relax, just like alcololics use liquor.

I would bounce for 10-15' every morning, before going to work. Since I would end up getting late to work, I stop bouncing in the mornings during my working days.

I also bounce after work ( 1-2 sometimes 3 hours a day) and before getting to bed!

I don't even wanna talk about the w/ends. That's the worse!

So it looks pretty much as an addiction to me, nothing illegal (like drugs) but something like smoking, food ..
The thing is that even though there seems to be so many af us outhere, phycologists/therapist  have no idea about it. I think because all of us are embarrased to share any information that has to do with it. It's our secret!

I am not a big fun of medication. I believe in therapy and I also beleive in the 12-step programs! I can't do it alone! I need the support of others who "suffer" from the same addiction cause we understand one another. I am in absidence for 3 days now, and I know that it might sound crazy but I pray for my absidence. I don't want to live in a fantasy world, even though it gives me great pleasure and even though it was necessary to keep me "safe "through my childhood! I don't want to suffer from back and knee problems and I want to be able to spent my time taking care of myself in better ways!

If someone wants to contact me to share our expierience feel free.  thanks for listening.
I'm 58 years old.  I have done this all my life! It was just the norm in my family for me to do this.  They never thought it was odd. My brothers complained about me "bumping" when we were in the car because the whole seat rocked. But my parents never made me stop. I see myself in all of the posts! I don't consider it to be a problem & it doesn't embarrass me.  
It is what it is :)
Reading these post made me feel happy that i'm not alone here,

I'm a 21 year old female, and I've been rocking and bouncing my head since i was a toddler i believe. It's actually really embarrassing because i'm the only one in my family that does it. I grew up with two older sisters and they used to tease me a lot about it, growing up we shared a bunk bed i slept on the top bunk, they used to bang and yell at me and tell me stop rocking. I couldn't help myself, i'd often do it while laying down and listening to music. I just felt such an ease or like a high when i did it, and i'd go for hours often times till i'd fall asleep. Sometimes I didn't even realize when i was doing it.

Now being 21 I don't really rock back in forth in bed anymore, but when i'm alone i find it really hard to sit still. Often times i don't even realize when i'm doing it, and get caught. But my family don't comment on it anymore. I have a pretty good social life, I'm a student and I work. But doing this just scares me because i can't help it. I love to rock back and forth, but i'm afraid this may jeopardize any future relationships i may develop with someone.

I've never spoken to anyone about it, but I do plan on seeing a specialist. I'm just afraid they'll tell me i have a mental illness or something, and try to put me on meds. But i't feels good to write this, and share my experience knowing that i'm not alone here.
Wow, I'm so glad I found this website.  I didn't read every post but I Iused to lie in bed and roll my head back and forth and sing my self to sleep.  My mom said I did it since I was a baby and I stopped singing when I got a radio and then I would go in to fantasies for hours, roll my head back and forth and listen to the radio.  I stopped every night when I got married, but would do it if I was alone during the day.  I completely quit after starting anti depressants in my early 30.  Now the thought of doing it makes me dizzy.  Has anyone one else did this head rolling?
Hi everyone,

good to read that I'm not alone in this. My story is pretty much similar to most of yours. I've been doing it since I can remember, sitting, standing, lying in bed. I sometimes started humming doing it as well. I couldn't stop myself in public when I was little, but now I can. I couldn't find anything other than autism articles in my own language, so I was very relieved to finally find that so many people do this. I do it when I am stressed out, or bored, but sometimes I also used to do it when I was happy. The problem is that the rocking is both soothing, and I can't help myself from doing it when really stressed out (and alone) but that I also feel that it perpetuates the stress. I am very easily stressed and rocking makes me tired but does not relieve the tension in my leg muscles, the area that my stress is located. I have started running, and I like it, but it does not stop the rocking. Also, I have had a hernia so obviously it is hurting my back, I'm 20 years old now, and none of my friends know about it, even my boyfriend doesn't know. My family knows but they don't see it as a problem much cause I can't stand to do it when people are wachting anymore, cause people used to make fun of me so much when I was younger.
My twin sister used to do it as well, but in our teens she grew out of it, she only occasionally does it, but I think she can handle it better because she is way less stressed out than me. I have been to a person that made me do all kinds of balance excersizes because she thought I couldn't keep my balance or whatever. then I went to a child psychologist who helped me identify the situations in which I would rock. But I stopped going when I turned 12 or 13 and she never told me if she knew what caused it. I don't like doing it per se, and not just because I"m ashamed, but also because I have a really hard time stopping when I start and also because it hurts my back and neck. I intend to find out the cause and with it the 'cure'.
Yup, used to do it a lot when I was a kid. even to the point that it hurt, but now I only rock my body when sitting on  during the day. I hope you're doing okay and you no longer need your anti depressants.

I have to say that I'm not at all familiar with the kind of music your talking about, but I guess like many here have said that music is defenitely connected with the rocking. I love rock and metal because it is agressive and headbanging and moshing is much like body rocking. metal heads also ofen throw their bodies back and forth while head banging. I guess it depends onyour taste, but rocking to music with a good beat is always the best I think. I usually listen to music to relieve stress anyway. I hope this helped. Don't be ashamed at any rate, there is nothing wrong with you
Hi I've posted on this forum before and just checking in. I'm a 54 year old woman who has body rocked her entire life up until 2011 when my doctor prescribed Gabapentin for me. I don't rock at all with the Gabapentin but the rocking will return if I skip a couple of days of medication. The only problem I have now is that I don't listen to music that much anymore. For me music has always been the trigger for me when I was sitting on my couch bouncing. As most of you guys know I could bounce my whole day away. Once I sat down,picked up those headphones and turned on some music it was over. Thanks to the medication I don't bounce anymore but I sure miss it.
It's so good to hear that many, many others have the body rocking "affliction."  I certainly spent a major portion of my childhood rocking, first the bed - at all hours of the day or night. I broke many springs and got in trouble often. I rocked on the floor and yes always to music. It was a very satisfying thing to do. When we got a swing set, I spent hours and hours swinging by myself - lost in thought. I also broke several Lazy-Boy/rocking chairs and got in trouble for that, too. IT GAVE ME SUCH A EUPHORIC FEELING, I COULD NOT STOP.I dreamed of greatness and being a sports hero, movie actor, or simply a popular guy loved by all. I guess visualization - which is really what this is - is overrated, because very focused as I was, it never translated to on-the-field performance. In fact, I was an extremely shy kid and very insecure adult with a great deal of social anxiety. This has really affected my life and career. I know I can do things, just not in front of people. My three sisters always made fun of me and in college, people would laugh at me sitting by myself and rocking in a chair listening to music. I mean rocking hard, too. Crazy stuff. I don't want to say I ruined my life, wasted it, by spending so much time rocking, I guess I just preferred it to most other things and enjoyed every second of it. There was no mental illness when I was a kid, so the thought of psychiatric help or medication was out of the question.
I am also a body rocker. I started as soon as I was old enough to sit up. I am 43 now. I don't do it so much anymore. My family made me ashamed of it as a child. I able to stop, but I am very stressed and unhappy. I have heard that a lack of vitamins and high cortisol levels and cause it. I took Prozag for awhile and it really helped, I can't take it anymore because I have had breast cancer. Prozag interferes with my medicine. I have celiac disease too. I feel that with all of these problems I have a right to rock if it makes me happy.

My name is Mark and I'm 44, and like most of you I have body rocked since I could move.  My mother tells me I broke 6-8 cots as a baby, beds and sofas.  When I read your posts it appears that I do everything that most of you do.  As a child I bounced, head banged, rocked side to side and backwards and forwards and whilst standing.  I thought I was the only one in the world who did this, I still rock even now and given the chance I would rock from morning until night.  I believe that this has affected my life in so many ways.  I have a short attention span and feel that it has taken over my  life.  I see some of your posts and see how some of you have stopped and how some of you have overcome it and I admire you and wish I could do the same.  There is so much more I could say about my life but wouldn't want to bore you.  Its a shame that there isn't a group for us all to share what we go through
Hi!

I am so amazed of how many of us are out there and this post is still active after 4 years! I too am a body rocker and have also done this my whole life. I am currently 29 years old female.  I first started out in rocking chairs and body rocking in the car as a child. As I got older and got into music it turned into body rocking on the edge of my bed to music. As I got older I got embarrassed by this due to other people noticing/commenting and I did my best to confine it to my room. (I remember having the urge so many times in the car, but trying my best to control it, so the body rocking in the car turned into a slight head nodding, so it wouldn't be as obvious.
    When I would body rock I would also go into a trans like state and day dream which also effected my schooling. In class I remember zoning out and day dreaming, it's sad because I have a really good memory I probably should of done a lot better because of that, but I think due to my zoning out I did not hear what was being taught. Also when it came time to study instead I would body rock and listen to music, there was no way I could study I just had this urge to body rock dream. At home I couldn't wait to go upstairs to my room and turn on music and body rock and day dream. I grew up in the 90s when girlbands were being discovered and I would dream about starting a band and becoming famous. I had all these wild fantasies about being famous and going places and meeting people and having this really cool life. When I got into college it got worse. I was totally alone (had my own apartment) and would spend hours just listening to music and body rocking and wasting the day away. Surprisingly I made better grades in college.
   After college it was hard to get a job and I moved around a lot and body rocked the days away, until finally I moved back to my home town and pursued teaching and quickly got a job. After that I met my husband and when I met him we were together so much (and I would of not dared to it in front of him!) that it kind of fizzled out. I was so busy with my job and being with my husband that I did not have time for it anymore. When my son was born there really wasn't any time. The last times I remember doing it was during the summer when my husband was not home and I had off and my son would take naps, then I would listen to music and body rock, but the daydreaming was not as intense. For my life had change and all the hopes and dreams I once had are long gone. Don't get me wrong I love my husband and children and life, but it is so strange how I had this thrust for fame and fortune and how it's all gone with the wind now.
   We now have a daughter and my son no longer naps and my husband works from home a lot and with all of that combined my body rocking days are over, but every once in a while I will be alone in the car and have the urge.
   Thankfully I have not seen any signs in my children except my son does hand flap when excited (got him tested and no sign of Autism).
    My childhood was not the best. My mom divorced my father when I was only 3 and we moved around a lot. She married and divorced 3 times and was very self absorbed (narcissistic) She would spend most of her days in her room talking on the phone, or reading. While I would be upstairs by myself. I am an only child as well. I am wondering like many of you if this could of played a part in this? I also am noticing we might have signs of ADD? Just without the hyperactivity part? My husband always jokes that Me and my children Always have to be going somewhere or doing something and he says we are ADD. Mostly as a joke, but maybe it is true thinking back to my rocking days?
I would go through stages with the different types of music I body rocked to, but I do remember going through the techno stage because of the beats in early 2000s. A lot of times I would be listening to lyrics though and fantasizing through the lyrics like if it was a song about breaking up with a boyfriend and getting back at him and I had recently experienced that I would fantasize about it.
I totally understand and agree with you about your fantasizes vs your reality. I too dreamed of greatness and my life is so normal now. In fact I went through a stage of depression and wonder now if it is linked to this. In my fantasies I was famous, well liked and in reality I do not have that many friends and settled for an average career. My life is so plain Jane compared to all the hopes and dreams I once had with my body rocking.
Hello fello rockers & rocketts!!!  I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing! I am not sure where to start, so I will just say I recognized myself as a rocker last night.( July/2014) That is how I found this wonderful site! I have yet to ask family members if they ever noticed me doing this. 

After realizing I was "rocking" last night, I started to think about when I actually rocked. I have enough clarity now to say I have always been a rocker! I have rocked myself to sleep in some shape or form most of my life. Sometimes even envisioning myself on a swing or on a raft swaying/floating on rocking waves,  or suffer from bouts of insomnia.

The last 7 months of my life have been, shall I say, "eventful". I am in a stage of recovery from addiction to medications (yep, more than one) and  an outright nervous breakdown. What I refer to as my " M&M."(Mental Meltdown) I have even found my own sense of humor during this recovery time, and realize sometimes I need to laugh, life does have it's funny moments. I have spent the last 43 years taking life and myself way too serious. Over analyzing everything to an extreme. No wonder my mind took a much needed hiatus. Life with me and my own mind was totally overwhelming to say the least.

Like many here have stated, I too have a connection with music and other forms of creativeness. For me music is always related to memories, experiences,  or points in my life. I can hear a song from my very early years to current and tell you approximately what year it was and events happening at the time, both personal and social . I now wonder if anyone else does this as well?

I could continue to relate to multiple posts on here, but I really just wanted to reach out and say hello to you kindred spirits.  I am thankful and truly blessed to have found y'all.

We need our own theme song, that could be a post in itself.

I am so excited to have found out that there are other people that have this! I've always rocked back and forth, on the couch and on my side to fall asleep. It was so soothing to me as a child and my parents never discouraged me, so I continued. When I began to become more socially aware of myself, though, I became unnecessarily ashamed of my habits and would only rock when I was sincerely distressed or in complete isolation (I'd even close my curtains). I usually listen to music (the genre changes but if I'm honest it's 90% soundtrack to fit my constant daydreaming) and or I watch TV. Through my adolescence it was just another hobby like reading or soccer to me.
But I graduated high school early and college crept up on me. This meant roommates. How would I fall asleep without rocking? Should I just tell my roommate and live normally after that? I got so anxious about being accepted that I never told a soul at college and I just stopped cold-turkey on campus. (Which it was nice to realize that I could switch it on and off). Once I got home for breaks I just picked it straight up again and daydreamed as usual. Someone else here has mentioned that they'd actually wake hours early to get some nice rocking downtime in before school, that has me written all over it! I fall asleep rocking, wake up and grab coffee and earphones, then rock. Then maybe later in the day I will fit in the productive things. The only thing I really worry about is if I ever decide to have kids, what will I do?
I've come to terms with it now, its relaxing and it stimulates my imagination. But I was wondering, do any of you also have symptoms of OCD? I have obsessive cleaning, washing, and checking. I've checked my closet for axe murderers and the lock on my door eight times before bed each night for the past 17 years. (Not to mention the nobs on our gas stove..man I wish we had electric). I don't know but I think there could be others with this as well as the rocking!
I'm not really ashamed of it anymore- there's no real shame in it- its what we do to comfort ourselves and I believe that you should do whatever makes you happy. So if that means taking your Sunday to sit on your living room couch and rock out to some nice classical music...do it!
Doctors say stress kills. So I see no reason 4 alarm as long as u aren't physically hurting youtself. I'VE been rocking since birth. I think people care too much what other people think of them and not enough of what they think of themselves. I've done this happy or  sad, Its helped me clear my head and also escape. There r worse things  u could be doing 2 youself. Just my opinion. Signed, Cheri
I've been rocking since birth. I rocked when I was sad , happy or stressed. It has soothed me at the worst times in my life and helped me with changes. People have thought it strange but there r stranger things u could do. I think as long as it doesn't physically hurt u or intefere with getting things done then whats the harm?
I am 24 yrs old and have done this my entire life,Not sure about you guys but I wouldn't go from side to side,I would go forward and backward while sitting up,Same goes with laying down.In fact my twin brother does this as well as my older brother.I cannot enjoy music as much either unless I'm what my brothers and I call bouncing.People want to find meds for it,I can stop when ever I want,I just enjoy doing it.I have produced OCD while doing it though...Their was times when bouncing was all I had,So I would either think about it while I was at school or while I was at work,Looking forward to it when I got home because when I did it,My imagination would go crazy.If anyone is like me that just means you have a great imagination!
hi im 22 years old and I body rock. I remember we had this black couch and when ever I was mad I would always go on to it and rock back and forth and if my grandpa was over he would put a pillow behind my head to joke around with me. and whenever im in the car I always do that. even when im on the computer listening to dance electro music I rock back and forth but I don't hit my head, just rock back and forth.
I can't stop doing it either mark. Like you I admire people who do, but for me it seems almost impossible. It makes me happy, the best feeling in the world. I'm a 33 yr old female with 2 small children and I sneak body rocking into my life wherever possible. It makes me hate myself because I'm unorganised in my life because of it. I'd rather rock than meet up with people and be sociable and it's unfair on my children. It really does seriously interfere with my life, but my doctor didn't take me seriously. Nobody does really. Alcohol seems to help ha. I can't rock when I'm tipsy :) so that sorts the evenings. But during the day it is too easy for me to put some music on (louder the better) and sit with my legs tucked under my bottom and sway side to side in my own world for as long as I can get away with it.
It is a way for you to relieve stress.  Since you say your are unorganized, unsocialable, and it is unfair to your children, perhaps you should seek out a psychologist that can teach you other ways to de-stress.  Meditation videos, long walks with your kids.  When you get the urge to rock, find something constructive to do.
I've done it my entire life. Since I was able to sit. I learned how to stand and walk without doing it but couldn't control it when there was music on. For example school assembly. I'm more comfortable rocking than being still, and if I could I would do it constantly. When I do allow myself to rock I feel a huge rush of happiness and comfort. I obviously get stressed like anyone and rocking helps distress, but it's not why I do it. I don't feel like myself if I don't do it. I use it to figure things out and talk problems through my head and also go into a trance like daydream. The thing is its a bit like an addiction to drugs, it's hard to control it. For example if dinner is cooking in the oven, but I'm in the middle of rocking, I sometimes cannot tear myself away from it and will allow the food to burn rather than interfere with my rocking high. Sounds silly I know. But the high I get from rocking is what I need to be happy in life. I am currently 3 days into my not rocking campaign (I've tried this hundreds of times, keeping busy) my house is clean I'm organised. If only I can keep it up!! But I'm hand wringing, and crying and upset and I'm walking into rooms and standing nervously unable to think properly. If I can get to evening a glass of wine will help the craving, because I cannot rock when under the influence of alcohol.
Before I had kids I wouldn't bother meeting people because I would rather sit in my flat and rock for the entire weekend. Now that I have the responsibility of my children's happiness I can motivate myself to take them out almost every day, but my house is unorganised, I haven't made a picnic so I'll have to buy food, I'm late, or not ready if I'm being picked up.
That's why I feel guilty with the kids, because I'm not organised. It's always last minute.
If I didn't have the kids I would rather not bother at all.
I failed at school because of rocking, but was able to complete a 2 year course at college. I just about manage things that are important in a really Un organised way. I don't bother with things that are not important enough, which has included friendships unfortunately. I'v never had a real friend. My mother is my only friend.
Have you seen a psychologist to get some help?  It really does seem to have made your life pretty miserable except for the "High" that you say you get from it.  Sometimes things go on for so long that we forget what it feels like to be "normal" or feel good actually without all this drama in our lives.  
Funnily enough life hasn't been miserable. I've managed to do things around my Habbit. Just not half as much as I should have. It's just that the compulsion to rock has increased rather than decreased with age. I can break away from it for exciting things. It's when life is dull that it takes over. When the kids are at school it's very dangerous for me to begin rocking at 9am because I may not stop until it's time to collect them. I need somewhere to go to take my mind from it. I'm able to work again now that the kids are in full time education, that will help. I haven't seen a phycologist yet, it's on my to do list. I always feel upset when I seek help and am not taken seriously.
Viewing 201-319 comments: