Body rocking

I wonder if anyone could help me figure out something... Up until about 4 years ago I would body-rock. Im now 34, from the age of I realy dont know when... since my memory started at the age of say 2 i would body rock. I'd lie on the floor and rock for between a few minutes up to 6 hours or more. I'd rock on the floor and day dream and it seems that the rocking motion would help me day dream and I'd end up in almost in a trance. It completly messed up my education... instead of studying I'd body rock and dream whenever possible.... I mean I was totaly addicted to it, it may seam strange but it got worse from childhood. Im my teens and twenties i spent most of my spare time doing this, once I got to the age to start listening to music I'd body rock with music playing, with the different type of music depending one what i wanded to dream about or vice versa. It could be for the whole weekend and I've lost so much my life doing this.... You would'nt believe. I don't believe I'm autistic... i dont seem to show any other signs... I have a good career now and live a happy life but I'd like to understand what happened to me for all those years.

I'm not entirely sure this is the right forum, maybe it should be mental health but if anyone could help me understand I would much appreciatre your thoughts! If not i will try the other forums. Thanks for your time
Meant to mention it's at 4 hourly intervals starts at 8pm (bedtime) 12 am and then again at 4am
Hi.  I'm 42 and have been on Gabapentin 800mg, 4.5 pills daily.  I noticed that around 2 years ago I started doing the body rocking thing...I don't have to think about it, It will just dawn on me that I am rocking.  I normally rock front to back and sometimes at an angle..it's not very often that I rock side to side.  Mine started with leg rocking.  I would rock my top leg while laying down to go to sleep at night and I would shake the bed horribly.  Gabapentin has not stopped this...I have no idea why I do this..maybe a comforting thing?  All I know is it is very embarassing, especially when people make comments or ask me why i'm doing this.. *sigh*
I skimmed over the comments as there are so many so this may have been talked about already, but my entire family does this. My sister, parents, aunts, uncles. I can't remember ever not doing it myself in the 23 years I've been alive. And we all do it the same way as well, sitting on the couch and just rocking back and forth bouncing back into it. We've gone through MAAAANNNNYYY couches. A rocking chair does the trick as well and from time to time I'll sit up in bed and do it, with my hands behind me I just continuously push myself forwards and rock myself backwards.I'll rock back and forth as I'm on the computer (like now) and when I'm watching tv, but I actually set aside time to do it with my ipod and daydream. I've never understood how people daydream any other way. I do take plenty of breaks in between when I get tired, usually after half an hour to an hour, but I never just sit there, I tap my foot or shake my legs. When I go to bed I lay flat on my stomach and either shake my legs or rub my feet together almost until the moment I fall asleep. In the summer I go to the playground at night and swing on the swingset with my ipod for hours. When people are around or for some other reason I don't get a chance to rock for a couple days, I feel intense relief when I finally get to do it, like a barrel of tension I didn't even realize I was carrying is being lifted off of me. I've noticed that I absolutely HATE standing as well. If I'm standing, I have to be swaying. I can walk for hours but just standing still is a nightmare. Sometimes when waiting in line for things, I'll just sit down on the ground even if everyone looks at me strangely. I cannot stand feeling physically uncomfortable for too long, I need to be as comfortable as possible at all times. This whole thing is 100% an addiction for me and I would love to know where it comes from.
I spent a good part of 60 years rocking my life away until I was finally diagnosed with OCPD, a milder form of OCD.  I was given a prescription of 20 mg a day of Citalopram, a generic for Celexa, an antidepressant also used to help manage anxiety, and the rocking immediately stopped.  That was more than 5 years ago and when I initially tried rocking again I found that I got no pleasure from it anymore.  This has helped me return to 8-9 hours of sleep a night, because the only way I have left to get back into some of that pleasurable dream-state is to get to bed early and get a good night's sleep.
heyy, I am glad to know I am not the only one who does this. Since I was a little girl, I have been rocking back and forth. I started off around the age of 2- years- old, when I would rock side to side standing up. My parent though I would become a dancer but they were wrong. Over the years I started rocking in vehicles and on rocking chairs. I am 18-years-old now and I continue to rock all the time. It has become a need for me. I have to do in when i wake up before school, when i come back and before i goes to sleep. I can rock for hours witch is getting in the way of my social life. I spend at least 6 to 8 hours easily everyday rocking. It drives my friends and family crazy. But i feel like it a way to disconnect from the world and enter in my own head. It kinda scares me because I rock so much and sometimes so hard that I get head, neck and back pains. I never went to the doctors to get this check out. For me It's way for me to relive stress. Does anyone have any idea how to control it so i don't have the need to rock so much ?

It would be greatly appreciated ! :)
You need to seek out the help of a psychologist.  Spending 6 to 8 hours rocking is, I'm sure, significantly interfering with your daily life.  It is going to interfere with work, college, etc.  So now is the time to go and get some help for what I assume is the anxiety that you are rocking away.  
You know, I am 22 years old and my sister and I used to rock all of the time. I now still rock, but I am scared that is has caused my heart to beat faster than usual all of the time. I am not sure if it is a panick attack or what, but I have been rocking since the beginning of time and maybe that is why my heart beats faster than usual. Who knows, I am just so excited that this is something that a lot of people go through. It is hard explaining it to someone who has not tried it or does not rock at all lol. They think we're all crazy when really, it is a HUGE stress reliever. I am just hoping that this is not the reason that my heart has been giving me extreme problems when I try to sleep.
So happy i found this place.I am 30 and i body rock since i can remember.My brother is 40 and he does it too.We come from a troubled family.My mom used to be under a lot of emotional stress and cried a lot during her pregnancies with us.We grew up in a bad environment,a lot of fights between my parents daily for years.They eventually divorced when i was 8.When i was a child i used to do it in the sitting position as well as in the lay down position.I remember this was something that always calmed me because as a child i was constantly afraid of being left alone and my biggest fear was dark.I would body rock singing songs until i eventually fall asleep.Around 9-10 y.o i have stopped the body rock in the lay down position but i never stopped the sitting body rock.
My entire life i felt ashamed of it much more cause i was caught by my mother and i felt so embarrassed that i decided to just hide it forever.I am a sensitive person and i get hurt easily.As a child i constantly needed attention and affection.
I don't have a social life.I always had very few friends.My only friend was music+body rocking.I love music so much i cannot imagine life without it.But if i would stop body rocking music would make no sense to me anymore.
I can body rock for hours.8-10 hours a day.I wasted my life because of it.I would do only things that i really urgently  must do.Otherwise i would just listen to music and body rock.It creates an universe where i feel totally happy.No stress,no anxieties,no worries and no boredom.It is beyond my understanding how people can listen to music without moving their bodies.I guess you can but than you would not have a true passion for music,you would not feel it the way i do.
I cannot have roommates or even a true relationship(living with someone) because of this.I fell ashamed that i might be considered crazy.It feels good to see that there are others with this.
For me this is just as a very powerful drug.I cannot stop it and to be truly honest i don't even want to.Body rocking is like a part of me.If i would have to stop this it would be like i am no longer myself.
I don't feel depressed anymore.Somehow i managed to feel ok being totally alone.The only thing that makes me sad is that i didn't follow my dream to become a musician.But i am still alive and not so old.
I hope someday somehow i can find just 1 person that does this and can understand me,don't judge me and we can do it together.
Hi, I agree with you about the music, I have experienced all of the things you describe! Do you still do it??
Hi fellow rockers. I roll my head side to side before I sleep I also listen to music at the same time the combination is calming. I've been doing this since I can remember. I think this may have caused the lump sorta shape at the back of my head, my bro has the same shaped head but his isn't as pointy as mine and he doesn't rock.
Anyone else have a similar problem?
or do I just have a weird shaped head haha.
I started body rocking in crib on four legs.  I specifically remember doing this like it was yesterday.  then when I was two used to rock in the chair in living room to classical music and folk music.  I also started rocking in bed on 45 degree angle.  Now at age 48 my rib cage is slightly bent from doing this so much and my left knee has been greatly affected.  I used to rock more when I was younger and in romantic entanglements.  It greatly affected my life as I could do it sometimes up to 12 hours in a day.  Now, I am older and my romantic entaglements thank God have gone down and I rock about 1/2 an hour or so before sleep to house music on youtube...  When I was in Hawaii once I could not rock because I stayed in a woman's shelter, but I met a nice guy not eh beach and we hung out at his house and as soon as I go there I asked if I could use his room to listen to music and I immediately started rocking on a mattress on his floor for about two hours.  I definitely go into a La La land trance where I can imagine anything that pleases me.  I was diagnosed with OCD 7 years ago.  I learned that unfortunately most people get diagnosed with OCD later in life.  My family was quite dysfunctional.
i have the same problem  but heres my advise if you to stop rocking yourself: do  some sit ups this works by your stomach pushing agent the mussel under your ribs do that for about 10 or even 20 minuets if that docent work try jumping or drinking thicken liguids  to thicken liquids use cornstarch or even drinking tea
i have a rocking problem ione time i was rocking myself and i acsedently pushd the dog off the bed and i find rocking myself grait i have one qwestion how do you rock your whol bod because i just rock my uper body?
i also am vrey skinny from rocking my self i wish i could find a way to not get skinny wile rocking myself
Wow guys, so many of you are still rocking and barely anyone got efficient treatment.
I've been a rocker all my life up to the age of 25. That's about the time I fell in love and it stopped abruptly, within a day.
Now I'm almost 29 and I sometimes think - would rocking around, listening to music for hours on end make any sense? I pause and try to rock on the couch/chair and no, I just don't feel the compulsion anymore.
Now I've read a bunch of hypothesis on this from stimming, stereotypy to Reactive Attachment Disorder, none of which entirely encompass my symptoms and feelings.

I have a Maine Coon cat, who has been taken away from his mother when he was 4 months old and he loves to kneed. I thinks it's his way of "rocking" as I feel my rocking was to me for all these years.
My mom was constantly at work when I was little and I was raised by my grandmother and I used to listen to music, sing and rock for hours and hours.
The moment I fell in love I lost the need for the rocking all together.
There must be some link between anxiety and lack of affection that is causing this behaviour.

I truly hope all you rockers find your way out of this because as far as I enjoy being a walking jukebox, knowing lyrics to a preposterous amount of songs, the time you spend on rocking can be way better spent than daydreaming about what could be, who you could become and all the things you can achieve as I did. I can't say the life I have led up to the point I stopped rocking was unsatisfying in any way but I'm sure it did have a big impact on my social abilities and only now I begin to recover and become a person I always wanted to be in my daydreams while I was rocking.

All the advice I can give you guys, who feel inadequate, incapable of being loved and just plain weird - give yourselves a chance, don't give up on having a normal life. What you are doing isn't something wrong and it's just a way your body says you are under a lot of stress for various reasons.
I was born addicted to steroids and have Cushing's and Hirschprung's  I rocked back and forth since I was an infant.  Why? How's this, unbearable pain. The rocking soothed the pain so much and listening to hard rock seemed to have helped.  I am in my 50s and I do not rock that much anymore, only when in pain.  Too bad....if I choose to, I will rock my *** off
This website is a joy to read
I am a 58 yo woman.  I rocked from my earliest memories until I was 42.  Rocking to my favourite music and daydreaming for hours, fantasising how I would like my life to be was what I did whenever I could.   Like a lot of you if I was not able to rock I would feel on edge and also feel withdrawal symptoms. My mother saw me rock when I was very young but as I grew older I hid it from everyone and it became a secret that I felt very ashamed of.  I used to worry what people would think of me if they knew how 'weird' I was.  The compulsion to rock became stronger in my teen years and became compulsive in my twenties. It became a vicious cycle of feeling ashamed because I rocked, so I rocked more because it made me feel better.  I feel that I wasted a lot of my life rocking when I was actually doing it, it satisfied something within me that I still cannot explain.  It was a need I had to satisfy.
The year I was 42 and my son was 10, we were both diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed dexamphetamine which we both took daily for six months.  The first couple of months on the dex was good, it helped me to focus and be more productive.  But then by the third month I started to feel more aggressive and the compulsion to rock became an addiction.. After taking my kids to school I would race home to rock all day and do nothing else but that.  My anxiety increased hugely and I was only sleeping 2 hours a night and only eating one slice of toast a day.    So my son and I ceased the medication.  Within a couple of weeks I was sleeping and eating
normally, and the compulsion/addiction to rocking diminished greatly.  At the same time, one day for the first time in 42 years, I just did not feel the urge to rock and I think I may have rocked 3 times since then (in 16 years)just to see what it felt like.
My theory is that the dex kind of reset my brain!!!!  The compulsion to rock just disappeared.  I have been diagnosed with GAD (generalised anxiety disorder), I know I am socially phobic (I do not enjoy socialising) I am very introverted and prefer my own company.  I have other very minor OCD quirks that do not impact on daily living.  I think my rocking is related to anxiety, and also some very subtle Asperger quirks.  I am not someone who makes friends easily and am fairly detached and disconnected except with my family.  I really believe that the kind of rocking I did was related to my anxiety because of a detached parenting style from my parents.
This site has been a revelation to me to know that other people go through the same thing.  I spent 42 years feeling like a freak and wondering what was 'wrong 'with me.  There is nothing wrong with any of us.  Realising that there are many more people doing this and wondering why they do it must mean it is a common human reaction to something......bless you all.
Wow, I didn't realize there were so many people who did this like me.  I used to rock in a regular chair  while I was listening to music until about 13years.  I also used to rock in the car in the passenger seat until I was about 13 years.  I used to get strange looks from cars passing by.  I have a rocking chair that I use a lot, but I don't do it anymore in the car.  I have OCD, but it is manageable.  Just takes me longer to do things.  I don't take meds for this.  I don't know if that is the cause.  I also grind my teeth really bad and over half of them are ground down to the gum line.  I am wondering if anyone does the teeth grinding with the rocking.  I was thinking maybe this could be caused by post traumatic stress disorder or autism?  Sometimes I rock back and forth from side to side when I am standing too.  I am wondering what people have been diagnosed with that have similar symptoms.
I agree with your comment that rocking is related to anxiety and lack of affection.  I am of the belief that the root cause of my own rocking was related to anxiety and a detached style of parenting from my own parents particularly my mother.  The compulsion to body rock is long gone but it is something that I still wonder about why I did it.  After reading other stories here it seems that the umbrella of anxiety drives the rocking compulsion for most people.  It's almost a primal action of self soothing that is subconcious.
i am 17 almost 18 and do the same thing, i lay on my back and roll side to side while i listen to music and i enjoy it greatly. when i am doing this i feel the music much more strongly and i roll to the beat of what im listening to. i feel that it is something i have to do because otherwise i have difficulty sleeping. not only do i feel the music more strongly but i also go into a sort of daydream/trance state that is much more powerful than normal daydreaming. until now i was convinced i was the only one doing this because i couldnt find anything about it online. it is quite relieving knowing im not the only one, like many other people on this post i do notice that i do it for many more hours a day than i should and it is very time consuming and i plan my day around it. i think that one reason it becomes so time consuming is simply because of how enjoyable it is, it is simply more enjoyable than anything else i would be doing.
I'm 19 and about to be 20 and I hate to admit that I still do this "rocking" or whatever it is.  I always have and it's definitely been a huge setback in my life.  I suppose I've always done this because it makes me happy, but I honestly wish it didn't.  There's been too many times I've chosen to rock over doing something with friend and family.  I still do this everyday unless I'm busy with something or have someone there with me.  Posting this comment is the first time I've been open to telling somebody because it is my deepest and darkest secret.  For now I plan on looking more into my issue and eventually gain enough confidence to tell people I know.  It helps me so much that all of you know what it's like and now I seriously don't feel alone.  Since I now have found you all who knows what I'm going through, please message me or chat so I can talk to someone more about it, it would help me so much   thank you all!!
Hi ajill
Your comments really touched me.  You sound so sad......and I know exactly how you feel and why you feel it.  You  are still quite young and I think that this secret can feel overwhelming at times.  I am wondering why you are thinking of telling people about it....when you have plenty of spare time have a read through all of the comments, you will see that it diminishes and eventually stops for a lot of people.  But more than that, take comfort in knowing that the comments on this site are from people who completely understand how it is to live with this 'secret'.  And I bet there are so many more people out there who we have not heard from yet.  It is more common than you think.
Hi people, does anyone knows if it affects the baby if the mother body rocks while she is pregnant? thanks!
I am glad I'm not alone
Omg I thought I was secretly mental, me and my twin had an horrific childhood and we both head banged on our pillows until we were about 15 then it started to hurt so we stopped. The rocking though was a huge problem I used to put my music on super loud and just lose myself in house and garage, it was the most relaxing thing ever and I still do it if I have spare moment at 32. I have a partner now so I can't do it as much as I would like to and I miss it. Although I used to worry about how I would get to sleep without doing it and how I would  cope in a relationship.  I was also terrified of anyone finding out that I did a few ppl walked in on me when I was in a children's home and took the ****.which made me feel crazy. Anyway reading this and seeing how many people do it, I feel vendicated I feel like people manage stress in different ways and maybe this is just our way of dealing with stress.
Glad you feel better.  It is a stress reliever.  Not sure if you ever saw the video of Bill Gates rocking in his chair during an anti trust hearing with the government.  He was definitely stressed.  And hey...this is Bill Gates we are talking about.  Mr. Billionaire...and he rocks under stress.

http://www.break.com/video/bill-gates-rain-man-98659

People write stupid things like "rain man" but they don't get that it is a way to relieve stress for a lot of people.  

Rock-on as long as it doesn't interfere with your daily life!  
You are one of many.....
Yay I thought I was a nutter ! Iv been rocking for as long as I can remember. I lie in bed and rock from side to side and listen to music. Like many I do this for hours non stop but now I think it's causing back problems and it starts to hurt my spine if I do this for too long  .... but I can't stop ! Iv tried different posttions and ways of rocking but it's just not the same. Is there anyway of stopping ?? I feel like I'll never be able to stop.    

Also does anyone know psychologically what it does to our brains when we do it like are we meditating or semi hypnotised or something ? Sound stupid but it feels like a dream state trance  a lot of times.
Wow I never comment on the internet, but this is the first time I've discovered a whole bunch of people that are just like me when I thought I was the only one!  I've been listening to music while bobbing my head/ upper body/ rocking in a rocking chair ever since I can remember for relaxation, a sort of high, motivation, and help focusing. My family has always teased me, but I always did it around them at home anyways, but no one else! I was always so embarrassed when someone not in the family would come over unexpectedly and see me!  I did it a lot when I was younger sometimes for hours and my neck would get sore or my head (because I used to bang it against the back of my seat.  I remember my grandma thinking there was something wrong with me at a young age, but my mom is an occupational therapist and she always seemed to think it was okay, but possibly a slight autistic trait even though I'm not autistic.  I am 22 now and I still do it, but not as much as I used to, especially because I get busy and I live at college.  I do need to remember to do it sometimes for stress relief and keep me from being depressed. I also do it in the car even when I drive, and I comfortably do it around my boyfriend now.  I think it's healthy for me to do it because it helps me a lot and doesn't control my life.  I'm a very good student, but I have serious procrastination issues, and music and head bobbing can either help me focus or become a form of procrastination depending on the day; but I feel like being the procrastinator that I am is due to the stress of work and I need my head bobbing to de-stress.  It seems like generally it helps me do math or draw, but if I'm writing a paper or reading it is distracting.
Hi peeps, I'm male 24 and from Ireland. I've have been rocking since I was a kid! I'd do it in my spare time and when I'd go to bed, it helps my dream about fantasy(part of the reason why I do it)! It makes me feel Awesome! I'd get this urge to do it everysingle day! I've grown out of it in the past few years but still do it 3-4 times aweek! Thought I was alone, thank you all
Perhaps the physical action of rocking produces some feelgood hormone in the brain, which becomes addictive over time.  I strongly believe that rocking is more common than you think.  I used to think there was something wrong with me, but the dream state felt so good I was hooked. I am 58 and have not done it since I was about 42, the compulsion can diminish for some people. Many, many people self soothe by rocking.
I have the same exact thing I don't body rock when I am in a deep sleep but I do know that if you are out for a while every day and not I your bed it helps a little and I don't do it as much anymore cause of being out in public so much
Hi, I'm 19 years old and I body rock all the time.....
At first I thought it was something that everyone does. It has gotten in the way of somethings. I'll be sitting on my bed and all of the sudden I'll think of something that I need to daydream about and I'll have to start rocking. It's like I go to another world whenever I body rock. I was thinking about mentioning it to a doctor. But I don't know how they could help handle it. So far I have broken 2 toilet seats and my own bed. It kind of freaks me out if I were to be honest.
I'm 50 years old and have always been one who fidgets. Mom was always telling me to sit still in church, etc. My friend growing up had these kitchen chairs that swiveled and I would constantly spin from side to side. I never thought it was more than just being an antsy kid, but a friend once told me to stop it when I didn't know I was sort of twisting from side to side gently in my chair - she said people might think I was mentally ill. I was about 35 at the time.I laugh about that now. We are all "abnormal" in some respects. Tonight I was feeling anxious and began to rock forward and back and it felt soothing and for the first time I decided to google this behavior. So there are lots of us! I find caffeine can make me more prone to want to rock, which is kind of expected. I'm comfortable in my skin, more so now than I was in my 20s and 30s, so I don't mind it. I also often bounce my leg or foot a lot, twirl my pen, crack my knuckles, bite my lip - a bunch of these sort of stimming behaviors. I agree with others who say it's better than drugs, alcohol, or really harmful habits. I exercise, which helps drain some of the nervous energy and that has really helpful too. So no advice for others other than to enjoy the rocking if you can, and if you can't, then visit a doctor for alternatives.  
What causes body rocking? I have a roommate that does this nonstop. And also watches animae and talk to herself.
I have been doing this for years. I always have had a normal life but when I get in a room by myself I love to put in my headphones get into bed with my music and just rock back and forth. Sometimes I get so into it I close my eyes and rock as if I'm in a trance. My mom just caught me doing this but every blue moon they will walk in on me while I'm doing this, and all I can do is stare at them stupidily extremely mortified and embarrassed that I was caught. My mom doesn't understand it, she thinks I'm so immature and retarded because of it. She looks at me and shakes her head or just ***** her teeth at me with a frustrated look on her face. And it always makes me feel so bad and embarrassed.I hate she makes me feel this way but she just doesn't understand it or why I do it...Noone does. They all think I'm just slow or something.
I don't believe it is JUST caused by stress.It is highly physically addictive,i assure you.
Hello,my friend,have only just found this thread after a whole lifetime of being afflicted by this thing.I am much older than you and would implore you to try to be strong enough to stop this thing.I know how hard it is,i learned the hard way.Good luck,josh
Hi Sophia,

Were you able to beat the addiction? I'm in a similar position -- I just turned 26, and I realized that body-rocking has taken up too much time in my life.  It is very much like an addiction for me as well, or rather, an unhealthy coping mechanism (I crave it when I'm bored, stressed, or want to escape from reality, all of which occur often).  It has wreaked havoc on my real relationships and life goals because it usually satisfies any need for human interaction (even though it is all in my head) and eats away at my hours.  

I'm not sure how to stop, because it's such a big part of my life.

Any advice/help would be appreciated!

~Dhi
Hi Dhi,

I apologize for the delay response.
I was actually able to abstain from body-rocking for about 1.5 year, without any prescription. Personally I am against any medicine.  

The first time I tried to stop was really difficult and I only managed to abstain for 5 days.

The second time (1.5 year of abstinence) what I did is that every time I had the need to do it I substitute it with something that provided similar soothing effects to me. So I started watching Gilmore Girls which is one of my favorite shows and then when I had “cravings” I would try to go for a walk, call a friend, journal about it. It was really helpful to build a supportive network.

Though I struggled at the beginning, those 18 months were great. I felt the energy in my body, had time to take care of myself and my basic needs, see friends etc.

Then I realized that what I had done was that I substituted body-rocking with workholism, so when my computer crushed at home, gradually I returned to it.
Today is not that bad but it’s still here.
After a personal research I realized that my body-rocking had to do a lot with the fact that I was neglected a lot as a baby/toddler/child/teenager and I had to find I way to soothe all the disturbing feelings I lived through my childhood.
What I am doing at the moment is that I joined the 12-step program “Adult children of Alcoholic/ Dysfunctional families” (http://www.adultchildren.org/member-PhysicalandTraumaRecovery)
and I am pretty sure that as I let my inner child grieve her lost childhood, feel my feelings and start loving myself, body-rocking will go away. I don’t want to deny or stuff my feelings anymore neither do I want to dissociate through body-rocking and day-dreaming.

I am also thinking about starting EMDR therapy to address my PTSD.

You are not alone!
Sophia
Body rocking has taken over my entire life.I have zero friends,zero interests and the only thing that makes me happy is body rocking as much as i possibly can.This means at least 12 hours/day.I took Gabapentin as i've read it can help me to drop the habit but it isn't working on me.Took 600mg/day but i body rock just as much.I'm 32 and i body rock since forever.I just want to decrease the amount of time i spend on this,not to cut it off completely,but i just can't(i crave it every day)...any help would be more than appreciated.
Hey Inbloom, I assume if you are taking meds you are also seeing a doctor. I would recommend getting more to the root of the problem. Pretty much everyone here talks about the rocking being caused by depression, OCD, PTSD....You will need to address these inner issues to feel better and cut back on the rocking. When I was a teen I would rock hours a day and daydream: little by little I got better and stopped rocking and daydreaming. I did it and so can you, but it won't happen over night (as the idea of taking a medication suggests) and it's hard work that takes bravery. I can see you want to get better by the fact that you looked this up and posted. I had to see counselors, do a lot of inner emotional work and it was difficult and often painful (but it is a good, healing pain- not the hopeless pain of despair). You can get better!
Inroot I take 600 mg of Gabapentin daily and it works like a charm for me unless I vape or eat marijuana edibles. It seems like the marijuana overrides the Gabapentin and I'm back on that couch with my headphones plugged into my ipod rocking while fantasizing and listening to music. My personal life is in a slump so I'm fantasizing about being in a relationship with a member of a 70's funk group. I fantasize about this man as he was a knockout in his 20's not as the indescript older man he is now. I wonder if other maladaptive daydreamers create fantasy relationships when they have zero relationships or prospects in the real world.
Google Search "Maladaptive Daydreaming & Body Rocking"

I am also a maladaptive daydreamer and body rocker.

Good luck rockers.
Whoah! So thankful to "Pauledh" for starting this thread back in 2009.

Like so many of you, I've been body rocking since I was a child. (I'm 47 now.)

I am so grateful to everyone who shared their stories and offered details that mirrored my own experience. I feel so much less ashamed.

I want to address the daydreaming part of body rocking: Years ago, I made a conscious decision to use the daydreaming time in a more productive way. One way is to solve problems. As an example, whenever I have a computer problem I can't figure out (some glitch that comes up that needs fixing), I'll leave my computer to body rock and use my imagination to figure out different, possible solutions. Also, every time I go on a trip involving an airplane, I body rock before I leave and see myself going through the whole process from leaving home to fastening the seat belt. Then I'm able to go through the actual experience with total ease.

I also envision upcoming conversations as well and go back over previous conversations.

Recently, I started writing fiction. I use my daydreams to envision the scenes I will write. And, just like with problem solving, if I get stuck, I always go to my couch, put headphones on, listen to music (often the same song over and over) and daydream until i figure it out. I think it's the soothing, the euphoria, and the daydreaming that makes it such a valuable tool for me.

Again, like so many of you, I experienced abuse, I was shamed for rocking, broke furniture, and keep it a secret. But after reading all these comments, I'm now seeing how it has saved, and enhanced, my life and I am so grateful for the ritual and have no desire to stop.

From my experience, as I got older, the practice would ebb and flow. I have gone months without doing it. I've also gone through phases where I did it so much I got a blood blister on my calf from sitting cross-legged for so long. (That only happened once.) I don't really question the pattern or the reasoning anymore.

I do often wonder if I'm strengthening my abs by rocking!
Maybe even strengthening back muscles.  :)
I'm 50, ricked since I have had memories of rocking.  Broken springs in chairs...holes in walls from springs and Rock when I drive. I have not wrecked from it ever.   I also found ways to use it, and times in the last 10 years of it lessoning.   I remember when I was around 13 seeing another grown woman rock and I whispered a prayer to not be rocking at that age.   I have been mocked, and diagnosed, given so called reasons and suggestions on how to stop....The greatest help for me has been aging and acceptance of me as a person from my family.  I still rock,  but not entire days,  can go days without Rocking.  If in a car I cant drive without rocking,  and if I stop rocking while driving you better know something is up!''  lol.   I would problem solve while rocking, enact needed compassion or anger responses in my head.... Music is a high trigger to set off rocking.   The strange thing is....there are times now,  I think I want to go back to losing entire days rocking just for the strength I think it gave my back and ab muscles.   Creativity flowed easier, and lonliness and emotions were seemingly managed easier.  
I still rock but not to the extent of hours on end.  

Loved your post,   felt so similiar.  
Looking for fellow rocker to partner for life I am in my thirties
I am amazed!!!! I have been rocking since an infant, on my hands and knees and now in the sitting position. I am 60 yrs old! I also can't seem to sit or stand still. I thought I was the only one and have been trying to figure out why I do it as I don't think I can stop. I also have broken many couches and chairs. I'm sick of it but it makes me feel better. Does anyone know what the diagnosis is and if there is a cure? Wasted a lot of time.
Wow. Im amazed of all the stories that sound exactly like my life. So thankful for all your honesty and bravery. Ever since I can remember I felt different. Whew, I got to just take it in. Thank you.
I'm 32 years old and i've body rocked since i was a child!!! I always been a kinda lonely kid.. During teenage years i was very depressed and anxious and i used to body rock for hours non stop.. I would listen to music on the couch and daydream of being a famous singer or a person everybody loved, it was like in a sort  of trance. After i finished school i started working so i didnt have much free time and kept body rocking  maybe one hour in the evening... At first it was a little strange because  it was still a soothing movement but i lost the 'trance' ability.. And also the daydreaming was less maladaptive, i started dreaming of more realistic scenarios... Now i body rock about half an hour in the evening. I m glad i found this post, thanks everybody for sharing!
I'm amazed how many people are rockers! I thought it was my shameful habit until I read the essay "Plague of Tics" by David Sedaris in his book "Naked." I recommend it anyone with OCD who does or doesn't rock. Sedaris had  major OCD kick-in during grade school, accompanied by a habit of rocking/listening to music. I was so amazed to read this, because I thought I was the only person in the world who had done this! My OCD began around second grade (I am now 46) and I rocked since about age three. I would rock in the car to music, thoroughly enjoying myself! I didn't care if anyone saw me, I was a baby! Later, in grade school, I began listening to little transistor radio at night and I'd rock in bed and fall asleep that way. I kept rocking throughout adolescence, high school and into my 20's (in bed and sitting up). I have to say, as I got older, I felt ashamed and more bothered by this habit. It was really comforting to me, but I also felt (even then) I was wasting hours and hours day dreaming and matting one side of my hair! My rocking went from being something to help me fall asleep to something I did for hours in the middle of the day. My family was very messed up- alcoholic father, work addicted mother, troubled (drugs/alcohol) older brothers....

The reason I eventually stopped rocking was because it actually started to bother me physically in my late 20's- I got a kind of cramp or stitch in my side, and I worried that I was injuring myself! so eventually I just stopped doing it.

I feel that, especially during high school, rocking was a way of comforting myself and a kind of intense escapism. I would fantasize about being a rock star, beautiful, etc. I loved it when my parents would go out- I'd listen to entire records rocking on the couch with the lights out! The older I got, I worked at becoming healthier emotionally and the need to escape into fantasy became less necessary (like in the movie "Muriel's Wedding" when she says she doesn't have to listen to ABBA anymore because her life is as good as an ABBA song). In fact, fantasizing became boring.

My advice is to work at your inner life because you deserve to be happy! Someone posted that they fell in love and that cured their rocking; that's great, but I don't advise ever relying on anyone else for your well-being, it has to come from within. I still rock on my chair when I'm reading or looking at the computer! I also love the swing we have on the deck and rocking chairs because I still find
rocking soothing. I walk a lot- that is a great alternative and super healthy, too. I hope others will try doing the inner emotional work on their own or with a counselor before resorting to medication. I have no doubt that some people need meds if they have a very severe OCD and I don't question that, but I hope it is a last resort. As someone with generalized anxiety and OCD, I know it is a huge struggle, but the work to feel better will pay off. You owe it to yourself.

This book has really helped me, so I'm going to endorse it. I warn you, it is work to follow the advice, but it seems to help!

https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Obsessing-Overcome-Obsessions-Compulsions/dp/0553381172

So grateful I found this post. I am reading Elizabeth Vargas book about her anxiety and alcoholism and it made me think about my high anxiety and how I rocked away that anxiety for 21 years. Like some of the other posts, I did it usually to music sometimes for hours or entire days and usually fantasizing about being famous or the center of attention. I finally stopped the year I graduated from college and had to share an apartment. I was always so afraid of being discovered and so really ashamed of the bevavior. In hindsight I don't know how I kept at it so long and I cringe thinking of the time j wasted. Anyway I do take Celexa for anxiety. Thanks everyone for sharing. It is a huge relief even now (I am 55) to know I wasn't the only person doing this
I rock back and forth all the time. I think it could be anexiety, ADD or ADHD. Not sure why. I saw my cousin the other day and we were both doing it. Sometimes I don't realize that I am doing it until someone says something to me.
If you have had a trauma like I did. You may do this I was abandoned and left in an orphanage for the first 3 and a half years. Sense that I have rocked my self to sleep and during the day I am almost 20 and still do this.
When my son was 2 months old, my husband and I heard a banging coming from his room. When we went in we, found him on his back (he couldn't roll over yet) lifting his tiny legs up as high as he could get them and slamming them back down on his bed. This continued every night until he was old enough to roll onto his stomach, at which point he started rocking and banging his head into his crib. The rocking/head banging continued through his teens. At around the age of 14 it became rocking and singing. My son is now 17 years old and continues to rock and sing in his room. He'll say to us "I'm going to sing" and off he goes for a good hour or 2. If he has nothing else to do, this is his routine for the day every few hours or so. Every other aspect of his life is pretty normal; He's in the top 25% of his class, he's active in sports, he's looking forward to going to college. It doesn't seem to be inhibiting him yet. However, my concern is that as he gets older and life becomes more complicated, he will look for other ways to sooth himself. I also wonder if there is some sort of medical issue that we should be addressing. The research suggests that this is not uncommon; however, I can't shake the feeling that I should be addressing this.