Can someone please advise me on "flooding"
I’m a doctor, who happens to suffer from OCD – my particular fear is getting HIV / AIDS. I know all the facts and know that how the disease is transmitted, but as you know, having OCD, reason and logic go out of the window. I have tried gradual exposure in the past, which worked, but I have slacked and have gone back into my shell. I’m ready to try a new approach. I want to expose myself to all the normal triggers without doing the usual checking / reassurance techniques. I heard it is called flooding. My question is how effective is “flooding”, if it is done properly – i.e. if I strongly resist the urge to check and get reassurance.
I have worked for a Clinical Psychologist for 14 years and have Panic Disorder myself.   There is some really interesting new research regarding OCD and a deficiency of a form of Vitamin B called Inositol.  My Psychiatrist, who is not an alternative medicine doc., just went to a large convention regarding this topic.  I believe many medical teaching facilities have been doing research on this subject and had great success. Google: Inositol and Panic Disorder or Inositol and OCD.  Many articles come up with great results, and hope, especially for children.