Can you feel lymph nodes in your neck?
I don't know if this is the correct place to post, but it is 100% OCD related so I suppose in a way it is :)
I am completely obsessed with feeling my lymph nodes in my neck, I have 4 that I can feel, 2 on each side in the same spot. They are less than 1cm, about the size of a pea. From all my research I have read that as long as a lymph node is less than 1cm then it is not considered swollen, but other websites say that lymph nodes should not be palpable unless they are swollen, so this kind of confuses me! I am quite skinny, so I am hoping that they are normal lymph nodes and have probably always been there but I have only just noticed them.
I have asked my doctor, who just said she can feel them but they are not swollen, but I still can't stop obsessing over them, I feel them all day long, and if I don't it is a struggle to stop myself.
So I guess my question is, does anyone else have normal, palpable lymph nodes in their neck? It is driving me crazy, I am freaking out about HIV, or Lymphoma or anything bad really. I am pregnant and a bit of a basket case lately :(
As a nurse, for 18 years, I will tell you that assessing swollen lymph nodes is something that comes with a LOT of practice.  It's NOT something that someone without medical training would effectively ever be able to do (and you should never try).  Most lymph nodes in their normal state will be palpable.  Because you can feel them, doesn't mean they are inflammed.

I strongly advise you to stop messing with your lymph nodes.  Constant poking and prodding CAN and WILL indeed lead to lymph node sweling, which can result in some health problems.

You need to address the OCD and leave your nodes alone.
Ok thankyou for your reply. I am addressing the OCD but it doesn't help how miserable I feel right now, and I just thought some reassurance might help if others could feel their lymph nodes too. Trust me I wish I could stop thinking about it but it's bit hard with OCD.
Penny...of course you're seeking reassurance.  That's OCD for you.  It's probably extra hard being pregnant.  Are you on any meds?  In therapy?  What are you doing to address the OCD hon?

Well I'm going to see a psychologist on Monday for the first time in years, I'm looking forward to it actually. I've always had good insight into my OCD and managed it well, but hormones combined with often feeling tired and sick almost seem to take away my ability to think rationally. I am a nurse too, and this whole thing stemmed from working long hours at the hospital surrounded by so many different illnesses (it's winter here) and being pregnant I have so many random bodily functions it's messing with my head a bit, Im scared of catching something which will hurt the baby :( I'm usually very rational I hate how ridiculous I am being lately. I do a lot of night shifts too, and I find I often have panic attacks or feel worse once I get home as I am so sleep deprived. This post was made after a night shift and now I read it and it sounds SO silly. Anyway thanks for your kind words :) hopefully things will be easier for me when I've had the baby and my hormones go back to normal!
you are the best of the bestest....you are the only person on earth reassures me :)