Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Chewing Tongue

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Chewing Tongue

I chew my tongue, excessively, and I cant control it. This has been going on for almost 2 years now. I've been seen at several hospitals, I've switched my Primary Care Physician 4 times now, and I've done research, and I still can not find any answers to what has become a very painful annoyance in my life. The Hospitals and PCP's have all told me that this is not related to me having Vaginal Herpes, but I dont understand what else it could be. I do this all day long, everyday, I stay up all night chewing it, and once I finally fall asleep, I wake up because I've hurt myself from chewing it in my sleep. I tried to change tooth paste, mouth wash, different foods and drinks, I chew gum, nothing seems to work and its damaging my teeth from the excessive chewing. People tell me that I can stop, but I honestly cant. I only chew the tip, and around the edge, and sometimes if I feel as if I have a 'swollen taste bud' on the top (close to the front) then I will chew the top as well. I feel as though I'm chewing off taste buds, and once I feel swelling, or as if the taste bud is growing back, I chew it over and over. I need answers, suggestions, anything, PLEASE!

My best advice is to talk to a professional (healthcare) about OCD.  If you don't have the resources for that I can say this:

I use to have a bad habit of sucking in my lower lips, and wanted to break away from this bad habit so I bought this -->  http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://electronics.pickegg.com/Electronics-image/2010-10/Electric-Shock-Chewing-Gum-Prank-Toy-6342221662675000005.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dhgate.com/electric-shock-chewing-gum-prank-toy/p-ff8080812d7838dc012d7e5cf2dd674e.html&usg=__PblMaYonay2kTHnLg1rkNfsUy0I=&h=290&w=290&sz=13&hl=en&start=2&zoom=1&tbnid=kdyAcbVBHrK7XM:&tbnh=115&tbnw=115&ei=OLgpTpL7FYP2tgOzwpSSAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtoy%2Bgum%2Belectric%2Bshocker%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

Its an electric toy shocker, (like electrotherapy) and every time I would find myself sucking my lower lip I would shock myself.  ... I know it sounds dumb but it worked.  
You can stop indeed,its a behaviour not a medical problem as such,you might want to get therapy to figure this out and find ways to stop it
Thank you both for your responses..

lilymoon-Trust me, if it were that easy, it'd be taken care of by now considering it is now affecting my health. I am now causing excessive Trauma to my tongue and my 2 bottom teeth (which are my 'teeth of choice' for chewing) are so loose that I'm afraid I will lose them soon.. I know that I CAN stop, the question was HOW...
I also chew my tongue. I've done it since I was a little girl. As I'm getting older it's been getting worse. My tongue gets cracks in it form constantly chewing. I can't eat, sleep or speak from how bad the pain is. I've been to so many doctors and have givin up. I sometimes won't get rid of it unless I'm in less stressful atmosphere. I to need help but it's hard to seek help from doctors! One solution that helps me is altra an anti-anxiety meds that gives you a feeling of floating and a feel of happy lol it takes my focus of my tongue and also takes all the pain away! It's awesome.
I have chewed my tongue since a very early age I am now 52 and it is a lot worse. Sometimes I don't know if its my teeth that ach that makes me chew or the chewing that makes my teeth ach!!! it seems a vicous circle. To today I have such face ach I just want to go to bed. I know I don't chew while I'm asleep
I have the same problem, I have done acupuncture, hypnosis, massage, and other things and nothing has helped. My next alternative is seeing pot doc tomorrow and see if that will help. It is easy to say we can stop. It is not easy to do. Mine has gone on since last August. I have even wrote letter to my deceased mother.
I am also looking everywhere for a solution.
I have the same problem and have tried everything. I am not going to try pot. Have nothing to lose except my sanity. There are days that I would rather just cut my tongue off.
I hope you find something, if so please let me know on here.
Bless you
I meant to say, I am going to try pot now. The canibus oil.