Compulsive Scalp Picking
I am 28 years old and have picked scabs on my scalp since I was about 12 years old.  Normally I find little imperfections, possibly dandruff or dry scalp, and I pick at it until it becomes a scab.  Once a scab develops, I find myself uncontrollably picking at it, so it usually never heals or takes an extremely long time or another scab to develop to stop.  Right now, I have a total of six scabs that I have created on my scalp.  When I am picking I can't necessarily say that it relieves stress like I have found on some of the other web sites, but more of an obsession that I can't control.  I have been treated for depression and PTSD, but have never mentioned my compulsive picking.  I have been prescribed both Zoloft and Prozac with Klonopin for the symptoms of anxiety and depression, but I still seem to pick at me head.  The kicker is that I also do this in my sleep.  I will literally wake up with blood under my nails.  What treatment options are there other than medication?  Should I tell my primary care physician or should I talk to a psychiatrist?  What are some of the causes of this, could it be OCD?  I don't really have any sort of rituals like you see or read about or extreme fears, but I can not seem to stop picking at my scalp, and although I am not pulling at my hair, I am noticing hair loss.  Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks nurse, I appreciate it
At the top of the page click the green "Post a Question" to start a new thread.  
I can't find it
Thanks Aliphant,
I have had folicullitis since February 2015.  The dermatologist could not do anything to help me since I kept on scratching.  Like you, I enjoy scratching and trying to get rid of all the bumps or scars.  Now I'm bald in the front because I scratch so hard.  I have atypical depression and that only makes it harder.  I get anxiety attacks and after I started touching my scalp it got my mind off the attack.  It's a perfect way to relieve tension.  I hope I can stop because it's causing me not to get out of a depression I was already in.  

Well thanks so much, I have not looked to find other people going through this.  It really helps.  I hope you get through this too.
Hey anyone on?
Hi Im back (Looney Liz).  Ive been picking my head for 35 years-is that the record?!  Recently Ive been thinking Il just have to live with it now and just try not to let it spread to my face (it does occasionally) and try not to do it in public- Im gonna take a jar of handcream and rub it into my hands when Im tempted to do it in public and hope that stops me.  A hairdresser I went to said hypnotherapy might work but im not allowed to have it cos I have a mental health condition.  I think the person who said it was sedentary and idle lifestyle that make it worse could be right-anyway Im beaten after 35 years, I dont know why we do it and I cant stop it.
Oh my lord. Y'all, I feel like I've come home. Lol. I was just sitting here staring off into space picking away. And the thought came to me...hey, google it and see if you're the only scalp picker out there. And lo and behold here popped this thread. I read a good 30 comments or so and am in shock. We are all the same! I too suffer from panic disorder, major depressive disorder and agoraphobia. I have picked my head for as long as I can remember. I am now 29. My mother always used to freak out and yell at me to stop, but I never could. It isn't something I consciously do, my hand just goes to my head without thinking about it. I get the same satisfaction some of you were talking about when picking off the scabs. I try to peel them as big as possible, and will even look at them to see how big they are at times. The bigger the better I feel. If I make one bleed it takes about a whole day before it will dry up to be picked again, so in the meantime, I move to a different spot. There are times I will search my head with my fingers and be so bummed because I don't feel a spot where I can pick, so I dig my nail into my scalp to peel something up. Man, I have never actually talked about this, and as I am writing I just feel like such a weirdo! At least I have solace in knowing there are SO many of you who are the same as me. So here's to us pickers lol, Cheers!
Guess us weirdos are in good company! Everybody has something, right Jules?
I forgot to mention I also have sebbhoric dermatitis....which makes the skin on my scalp, eyebrows and nose flaky and peely....so this only adds to my obsession. Makes it that much easier to pick
I found this thread and thought oh well, it's old and I kept going and this thread has been active for atleast 2-3 years.  I'm 57 and started picking my scalp about 2 years ago when I was diagnosed with psoriasis.  I'm still picking and I have the most sore spot I've had yet.  The spots get infected and my lymph node on neck,same side gets swollen and hurts. I just can't seem to leave it alone.
Oh man! So I am 23 and I have been picking my scalp for as long as I can remember. I have really bad dandruff so when it gets flaky it only makes it easier for me to pick and then they end up becoming inflamed and usually ends up bleeding. Sometimes I cannot help it, and I usually do it when I'm bored or stressed or anxious. I also suffer from anxiety attacks and on a current medication for it. It's embarrassing and effects my life sometimes because I end up with flakes on my head and I have long dark hair so you can imagine how that looks ;( any ideas or suggestions ? Thanks!
This is so funny!!!!!  I have been doing this. Mainly when I should be sound asleep. For me, I fully believe it is related to stress.  I take anti depressants and anti anxiety meds too.  Then things quiet down and I stop picking I g.  I have also heard about access to brain fluid.  But not in this way.  Way way too scarey.   I have recently started using tea tree to help with bacterial, I add lavender to.  I want to do more research for oils as well.  Then after that I massage cocoanut oil into my scalp.  As much as it takes a second as much as I remember to do.  Cutting finger nails sounds going on the right path too.  Wrapping your head for 15 -20 minutes  before shampooing is also somethimg to look to do,  it is a natural skin care condition treatment. Most shampoos have    "Ammonium  Laureth Sulfate"  which is really aggressive to your scalp.  I don't believe my issue is medical except for depression and ainxiety most of what I suggested really cannot hurt though. which I already have a doctor.  
I thought i was the only one who did this, I have my scalp looking horrible, I have a script for prozac filled but haven't started yet, I also take clonazepam. I hope it helps, I try to not pick it, but I get so much pleasure from picking the scabs off, I know some of it is self control, but I can't control myself. Anyone had any success with prozac helping? I know I have OCD that is what is making me do this, plus I have OCD about other things too.
I pick my scalp excessively too, I also bite my nails to the quick, I don't have cuticles left. My fingers are all scabbed around them too. I am huge mess.I am still able to pick scabs on my scalp even with no nails. I am helpless it seems, I just got a script for prozac filed but I've put off starting it. I hope it helps and I wish you luck too!
It seems from this thread that most of  us are also on medication for mental health so perhaps if we could improve our mental health the head scratching would improve or could the medications be causing it perhaps.  My scratching started when I first went on medication for my mental health when I was 20.
Hey guys I have been do this for a very long time. And reading and learning etc.. I went to free and clear shampoo and conditioner. I reduced the of sores a lot. Fragrances can cause allergies.
I know that I have a picking issues.. I feel like I am cleaning. If I pick one of my husbands pimples...again I am getting him clean.. something like that. Lately, I have noticed that picking my head arouses me...not every time but some of the times. I have all so notice that if I massage a chronically sore place on my back
the same. I am wondering if pain and pleasure  circuits are closely related. if you know what I mean.
I think you should go to a dermatologist
Im shocking for this. Nil meds or mental health probs. My hairline is horrid. I have a fringe to cover. Very reluctant and embarrassed to go to a salon. It drives my family mad. But I cant stop.
It's called Dermatillomania and is related to Trichotillomania. Www.trich.org. It's an OCD. You need to find a psychologist who is an expert in this field
okay i've had problems regarding picking my hair/ scalp for nearly 10 years, picking my scalp being the main thing i do, i had to cut nearly a foot of my hair off due to always picking the split and damaged ends. i'm almost sixteen, and i'm quite young and scared of what's going to happen to me in the future. i don't pick my scalp for self harm, or to the point where i'm really bleeding, but it is affecting my self esteem and image. i plan on telling my doctor and parents about it, despite being incredibly terrified. is there anything to be afraid of? will i be given medication? i'm not really harming myself by doing it but i do want to stop picking and have a healthy scalp again.
Just like many of you I thought i was the only one to do this.  Weird to see people describing EXACTLY the feelings I've had for so long -- the weird satisfaction etc.  Glad to know there are techniques I can use to stop doing it.  I don't really like that I willingly hurt myself.  It seems to me it's more of an absentminded boredom thing. I do it mostly when I'm reading.  Must be some kind of self-soothing thing.  I"m on no meds nor have I ever considered myself symptomatic but recently wonder if I'm moderately depressed.  Definitely this picking is OCD! which is hilarious to me because I always tell my husband HE's OCD! (he's a neatnik; I'm not).  Thank you all for sharing your stories -- this has helped me a LOT.
I started picking my scalp when i was about 10. i'm 57 n have had a few weeks maybe 3 times in my life when i had no scabs. it gives me a lot of pleasure, even tho if i gouge too hard it hurts really bad. i have 5 scabs at the moment. it usually only takes about an hour after picking, then i have a new scab. i love to examine them n if i drop one n lose it, it makes me mad. i also eat them. i know, gross...n congrats to the few who also admitted to eating them. i kinda want to stop, but sometimes i dob't want to stop. i usually do it more with stress n boredom.  someone mentioned  foot  itching powder helped. i don't have that, but i have gold bond medicated powder. i will try that. at least i won't eat them with that on it

Im not exactly what you would call a scalp picker but for the past few years, I've  constantly rubbed certain parts of my scalp while in deep concentration or boredom. It;s more of an absent mindedness thing than stress related, although I feel like I do it more when upset. Ill keep rubbing the same spot over and over with one finger until the scalp gets so sore it almost bleeds, or until my arm gets numb or starts hurting. Then ill just start on the other side with my other hand! I;ve always rubbed my scalp since I was a kid (Im 24 now) but since I started graduate school and was put on Vyvanse, it has made it 100x worse. I also did it a lot more often in early college when I was on phentermine for weight loss. Its something I absolutely CANNOT make myself stop doing. I;ll have people in the room tell me to stop and I will for less than a minute but go right back to doing it. BUT I am ordering something I saw online called Pavlok. It;s basically a shock bracelet, but can either alert or give you a mild shock when it senses you are doing something or when you ask it to shock you. The reviews say a lot about how it;s helped with nail biting or hair pulling. It seems pretty harsh but Im desperate to not have bald spots anymore!
Lately I have been using pure peppermint from the health food store. I put some on my fingertips and rub into my scalp after washing and conditioning. It relieves the itching, tingles and soothes. I, too, am a nervous Nelly and OD.
I'm guilty of this too. It starts with just a normal itchy scalp for whatever reason...a tickling loose hair, dandruff or whatever. I have really oily hair and always want to run my fingers through to get it all off.

I know this isn't exactly an option for you ladies, but what solved it for me is to pretty much start from SCRATCH (har har). In the summer I just shave my head bald. I rub the hell out of my head afterwards and notice all the dried skin buildup and scabs and crap. I get some good oils and etc etc and just massage my head with the time is typically pick the hell out of it. R helps because there's no loose hair neusance, there's no dandruff, and I can actually see the scabs and damage and let them heal. Once my scalps treated like this I can come to grips with refreshing with proper hygiene and routine brushing and etc. when I have long hair I guess it just drives me mad. I hate loose hair and dandruff and crap.

For you girls, something this helps me not post as much is make a conscious effort to use the palms of my fingers instead. Run my fingers through my hair like a comb and only agitate my scalp. It soothes the itchiness and clears out some of the dander. My head gets itchy just thinking about it. Hold on **Szch szch szch***
I've been picking my scalp since I was 12 years old and I am now 62.  Depressing, isn't it?  I've stopped for a few years at a time but always get back at it.  At time I've realized that I have been keeping the same scab going for at least a year! I enjoy looking at them in the mirror.  The bloodier the better.  I do have OCD, I was diagnosed with a mild for of OCD years ago, but I think its getting worse.  For example, I have to reload the dishwasher to my way of doing it if anyone else messes it up, which is not usually the case because I do the cooking and clean up afterwards, but others might put something in it during the day.  I freak out when things aren't done the way I think they should be done.  I have a ton of stress, caring for my mom, living with her and my brother and his wife.  We are all disabled.  I shouldn't be caring for my mom, I don't have the stamina and I am in a great deal of pain.  I started caring for my dad but that was killing me, then he fell and broke his hip and is now in a nursing home.  It was a natural change to just caring for my mom, which gets harder all the time.  I have money problems, legal problems, etc, etc.  Its all too much.  I want to quit picking so much, it makes me cry and only adds to my stress.  My head hurts, I'm afraid people will see the sores.  I put antibiotic ointment on the sores at night and a dab of medicated powder to cover them during the day, to make them less visible.  It works good.  I'm certain I'll feel healthier and more positive if I could just quit.  I can start to quit, but then that urge is so great to pick.
This comment absolutely broke my heart. You are one strong lady and you inspire me. I feel so sad for you that things are so hard for you I hope things have gotten better. Good luck x
Me too.  I won't go to the hairdresser with bumps on my head.  It takes months to clear it up if I can, then I might go.  But my hair is long and I usually cut it myself.  It would be nice to have it styled or layered though.  Its so hard. Maybe if I can clear my head up I should reward myself with a nice layered cut! That's a great idea.  Maybe in time for summer.
Moonshadow53, your original comment also broke my heart.  I'm 55 and female and have been picking at my scalp for years now.  I truly believe it's stress related.....everyone posting here seems to share a common thread with regard to stress.  I haven't had my hair cut since July and I'm itching to get another trim but I'm embarrassed my hair guy will see my latest picking damage.  I'm in dire need for a cut, but I'm waiting to heal.  Here's one tip I can offer anyone on this forum with accelerating the healing.  Use cold tar shampoo and/or dandruff shampoo religiously for a week or two.  It helps dry the scabs. The trouble is keeping ourselves from picking off the healing crust plates that scab over.  It's a vicious cycle,I know!--also I've used straight up rubbing alcohol directly on the area. Yes it burns, but I'm trying to dry out the entire area faster.  My scabs tend to last about 6 months.  I too pick and even pluck the hairs within the scab zone, with a tweezer. I look to see if the roots look infected.  It's really insane.  I also have eczema on my arms and shoulders from time to time. I'm in Los Angeles, where it's bone dry all the time.  Never ending battle. Dry, itch, scratch, scab, dry, itch, etc....I think I've left scar tissue at the site of my latest gem. I can feel the previously plucked hairs growing back like stubble.  But the pattern seems irregular.  I may have caused permanent scar tissue.  I find faithful use of the tar shampoo helps seal the wound sooner, and any further picking usually is just scaly layers without blood.  God this is gross!
I do the same thing. I will try to stop doing it for a few days so it's not so painful when I dye my hair but it still hurts. Right now, my whole scalp is radiating with pain bc I'm really stressed. I feel gross because I'm always brushing off the dry skin from my shoulders. I even notice it collects in my bra sometimes. It's hard. I don't compulsively snack, I started vaping and quit smoking 2 years ago. But I can't seem to keep myself from doing some habit or another 24/7. I think the oils are a great idea and I'm going to try that. Maybe it will help smooth the parts i like to scratch and I won't get relief from scratching anymore.
im having a little bit of success by wrapping my head in bandages and wearing a headscarf over it-they healed a little bit
ithink this ghastly headscratching is a form of obsessivecompulsive disorder for me anyway as ive got that in other ways too
I 16 and I pick my scalp like this, but the think is I dont itch much, my head doesent feel itchy. Usually I just feel crawly. Even after showers I can pick. And with no ******* dandruff to pick at, I get very frustrated. THERES NOTHING TO PICK AT I CANT GET MY DAILY FIX UHG
I also pick my scalp. The more I want to stop the harder it gets. It bleeds and makes me feel gross and unattractive as I know its there. My partner picks his hands and I think I unconsciously adopted this as a coping strategy. I do it when driving or sat at home or during times of stress. I am worried about my daughter adopting the behaviour. I also pick other scabs when they appear and have scarring. I feel like I mutilating myself beyond repair. I really do identify with you all. My partner gets stressed why I bring it up with him about getting this under control for both of our sakes. It is not healthy or needed but it is compulsive
Dear friend,  I have the same exact problem. This effects my life and tried to control this. Can you give me any advice at all? I feel like I can't heal this problem by myself. Any suggestines would be so grateful.Please email me at ***@****. If not, I am so happy that I found someone with the same problem that I have.                                                                                                                                                                  Thankyou                                                                                                                 Chrystyne                           ***@****                                            
Hi All,
I am 32 and started picking about 4 years ago, right around the time I started having panic attacks. It progressed to panic disorder with agoraphobia. I was embarrassed for awhile and I know that seems to be the consensus on this blog too. I used to be afraid of my panic disorder too but in therapy my doctor instilled in me that these are issues that need to be dealt with obviously but that I shouldn't try to hide my issues because that causes more stress and worsens the problem. I left my old company where my panic disorder was looked at as a weakness and not a medical condition and now I work at a company where I feel comfortable explaining to people that I have disorders, I'm working on them, and that I can still function. The more people I share my story with, the more empowered I feel. It reinforces the idea to not be ashamed. With the picking, my friends know, my family knows, and my hairdresser knows (she sees the scabs when I come in). I haven't told my therapist yet but I plan to next week when I see her so that I can start working on it. Unfortunately I really love picking my scalp when I am bored or stressed and I feel like it's going to be hard but Some episodes of picking literally leave my hair matted with blood. My lymph nodes are swollen so I know it is causing infection. I hope those who have posted on here or read this are able to get the assistance they need, but do not be ashamed. It's a mental health issue that needs to be addressed just like a broken leg needs to be mended. You wouldn't tell someone with a broken leg to walk it off. So good luck, I hope my post makes you feel at least a little better. Know that you are not alone!
i wanted to thank everyone that has said something because i am having a hard time quitting. it feels like such a relief to read others comments because i feel like not one person understands how embarrassing it is to be picking my head and i cant do anything over it. I feel like people dont understand that i dont want to pick. I understand that it sounds so strange but it feels like i need to pick. If anyone has anything that will help, anything would be appreciated.
thankyou
im trying dabbing the sores with apple cider vinegar now as recommended by someone in a previous post.  il let you all know how it goes. I too, really value this support site, as have never met anyone in "real life" with this same problem and my family always been quite unkind to me about it.  I felt a freak for years.
Hi I am 32 and struggle with OCD,anxiety issues. I had a few questions and wanted to offer a possible solution that has helped me. Acrylic nails. It is not at all a total solution,  but because the tips are thicker than natural nails I can't do as much damage.  I still compulsively touch my scalp and eventually it becomes less and less, however the compulsion never goes 100% away. I usually begin to focus my picking to removing the acrylic nails. One bad habit for another. ;-)
Unfortunately, I can not afford to pay for acrylic nails all the time. Over the past 6 months I have created bald spots and actual divots in my scalp. I am waking up picking with blood under my nails. My head hurts so bad without anyone even touching it. I have chronically swollen lymph nodes so I'm worried about an infection.  Has anyone tried liquid bandaid on their scalp???
I used it on my hand for a scrape and it made it rather difficult to pick at. I can't feel where the liquid bandaid is do it would be even more difficult to pick off my scalp. I have taken Lexapro in the past, recently switched to Luvox. I think the Lexapro works better for me. Has anyone else had success with  medicine? Thanks for any advice!!!
I just googled this subject to see if i could find anything out, and i have done. I have read through many of these comments and i'm actually genuinely relieved that i'm not the only one who does this. It's only my scalp that i pick and i've been doing it ever since i was twelve years of age. I would just be in a lesson and would search through my hair with my hand for any little bumps or scabs and i would pick them, or try anyway. This became a terrible habit of mine and i would pick whenever i had the opportunity. My family noticed and my brother actually started to tease me and was saying my head was invested in lice. Many people are saying it is due to anxiety, and actually i do have anxiety myself but i'm not sure. I'm scared. I feel like i'm losing my hair and it scares me.. Someone help me?
I've been reading all the comments and testimonials here for hours, I feel somewhat relieve that I am not the only one with this problem, but unsure about what direction to take in order to stop this horrible habit.  I started picking on my scalp just a few months ago when I lost my job (I used to pull on my eyelashes when I was a teenager).  I know that what triggers my anxiety is  the stress about my financial situation.  I suffered from panic attacks about 3 years ago and was on Lexapro for a while, it definitely helped with the panic attacks.  When I lost my job I lost my medical coverage, so I cannot afford to go to the doctor or buy the antidepressants.  If anyone here can help by sharing their experiences on how they were able to improve or control this problem it would be greatly appreciate it.
I've been taking lexapro for about a year now and have found that i didn't start having this problem until i started taking it, i believe that it is because anymore serious ticks and anxiety was controlled a lot more with the lexapro however i have found that i have began picking so much more and am now starting to create scabs and have even, at the worst of times purposely spilt rock salt onto my scalp, just so i have an excuse to pick the bits out.
I'be been picking since I can remember! Im 35 and still picking. I do not have dandruff. I believe it started from brushing my mothers hair as a child to relieve her sinus headaches. She had dandruff from coloring her hair and Id pick it out so her hair would be perfect ( I was a child so in a childs mind). Well needless to say, I still pick. Never on my own head but I do pick my husbands. As a teenager  I use to take elmers glue and cover my hand and let it dry  to pick it off. I have been embarrassed of this my entire life and only my mother and husband know about this so it is awesome to know that Im not the only one out there!!! My husband has sever dandruff and he actually enjoys me picking his head as I enjoy doing it, it calms me down for some reason. It took me a 6 months after we got married to admit to him that I had been dying to pick his head. He didnt freak out and wanted me to, so a win win. Its not compulsive or like I have to do it nor a habit but I do enjoy picking. Its about twice a week I will pick my husbands head and only when he asks me to. He says its calming to him also. Took me a long time to admit to him that I enjoyed picking dandruff. I dont know what you would call it? A disorder of some sort, Anxiety or OCD. But thank you for sharing your stories! Ive read where its self picking so I thought Id share my story to where I dont pick on myself but on someone else!  So thank you and also please wash you hands before you start picking and I find you use tweezers clean them so you dont get any kind of infection where you are picking!!  
I have been reading these comments for a while now and am 1. relieved I am not alone and 2. am so impressed with the amount of support this blog/community has given to one other and 3. wanted to share some information that I found.

Research Dermatillomani (aka Excoriation Disorder). This may be the closest thing to an answer as to why we do what we do: pick our skin/scalp. Also know that you are not alone and that many (more than you think) are suffering from the same bad habit.

"More people than you might think have a disturbing habit of picking scabs, including face picking or scalp picking. Those that do this to the extreme may suffer from dermatillomania, also known as excoriation disorder. If scab picking, face picking or scalp picking are so bad that they make a person feel embarrassed, ashamed or alone; if any of these habits feel more like an obsession or hold a person back from social interaction; if doing these things causes scars or disfigurement, then dermatillomania is the most probable cause."

Doctors have classified dermatillomania as a mental illness that often accompanies obsessive compulsive disorder.

Sources for more information:
1. http://www.healthyplace.com/ocd-related-disorders/excoriation-skin-picking-disorder/picking-scabs-face-picking-scalp-picking-dermatillomania/
2. http://www.healthyplace.com/ocd-related-disorders/excoriation-skin-picking-disorder/picking-scabs-face-picking-scalp-picking-dermatillomania/
3. http://ocdla.com/compulsiveskinpicking

After deep consideration of my own habits I think my personal case stems from being a perfectionist (OCD), then evolved into a nasty habit that I've yet to shake. It may be noted that I used to have eczema and dry environments tend to cause flareups on my scalp, leading me to scratch then feel those unwanted (yet unseen) scabs on my scalp. I begin to pick and although I want to stop, I cannot.

As someone before me mentioned, mediation or just simply being aware of this is the first step. A reward system helped me as well as adding a humidifier to the room I was in. Try to stay away from shampoos that contain alcohol as this will dry out your scalp and make it itch. Tea tree and jojoba oil are excellent natural ointments for treating skin and I recommend applying and massaging a small amount into your scalp, then waiting 15-30 mins, then rinsing in the shower.

As previously mentioned by others, keeping your hands busy helps a lot! I tend to pick at my scalp when I'm bored and nervous, picking unconsciously. I also used to bite my nails and skin around the cuticles but broke that habit by getting fake nails to get the feel for what it felt like to have nails. Once I got used to the feeling of having nails (functioning with them on) and the visual of actually having nails, I stopped!  Perhaps a similar method may work for the scalp...

Remember mind over matter! The mind is the most powerful tool in our bodies, and anything is possible if you truly believe you can overcome this struggle. I know I can as I previously thought I would never be able to break my habit of biting my nails.

I'm soo proud of everyone on this thread who has come forth and shared their "embarrassing" habit and are willing to find a "cure"! There is hope as more doctors are becoming aware of this "disorder" and more resources are being contributed in finding treatments.

Stay strong!!
Im not alone. I have 3 spots that I just cant leave alone. The crunchier the scar, the more I need to rip it off my scalp. I never heal. I can exhale once it's picked. What is this???
i am 26 years old and I am just a picker. I used to only my pick head and it started in high school. Back then I was anorexic and my home life was very difficult , I developed super control problems. I would pick my head constantly, to the point where it would be so time consuming I could not even hold a conversation. Finally one day I got an an infection and my necked swelled up like the hunchback Norte dame. It was embarrassing and painful. I stopped picking  on my head for a while, but after a year or two I started picking my body. Legs, boobs, hands, face you name it. Honestly, I really am a very pretty girl but I can not help it. I also am taking a lot of meds for the anxiety like kkonopin and Prozac, smoking a small but effective dose of marijuana.  But I wanna know why I am obsessed? Why I can I not stop im pretty and very vain but I will pick and make myself ugly. Please someone help know why
I could have wrote this myself. Desperately seeking to understand why I do this
Welp, I'm glad I'm not alone with this habit. I have been picking scabs on my scalp ever since I was about 10 years old and I'm still picking them to this day, I'll sometimes even pick a lot of scabs whenever I go to sleep, I usually do it for half hour and then go to sleep. I don't pull hairs because it's more unappealing than picking scabs. My boyfriend and my parents (maybe some other people too that I don't know of) notices that I pick them a lot, my boyfriend gets a little frustrated but not so much for my parents surprisingly.
It's really hard for me to get rid of this bad habit because it's so addicting and comfortable, and it sometimes relieves my stress. Once in a while I'll think that I should stop, but I'm so obsessed with the habit that it's super hard to quit, I can't live without it sadly.
Recently I've been thinking about going to therapy and talk to someone that I have a problem with my obsession, and I would love to stop this before I make anything worse in the future. I'll probably end up doing that in a month because I'm broke at the moment.
So I guess in my opinion, I think you should go to a therapist (or whatever people prefer you to go to) and talk to someone about it and see what he/she can do for you.
I'm 16 and I've been picking my scalp for about 12 and I never thought that it was a problem until recently when I realized that my scalp was becoming extremely irritated and dry. I take great pride in my hair so when this started to happen I freaked out and decided I needed to stop but shortly realized I couldn't. So now I'm wearing gloves so it can make it harder for me to pick my scalp and hopefully I'll see improvements.
i have been getting ib=ncreasingly distressed by this problem lately so am purchasing a head massage helmet from China.  its a bit expensive but cheaper than thersapy and il let you all know if it helps
meanwhile , while waiting for the helmet to arrive ive decided im so desparate to be cured of this im bandaging up my head, putting on gloves and doing virtually nothing for one week except rest and focus my mind on not scratching  (i dont have to go out to work at present as im off with other health problems). I hope if i can clear the sores completely and break the habit for a week i wont do it anymore (though the other two times in my life i managed to clear them they came back again but I live in hope).
I do it too. My head hurts but I've been doing it off and on during stressful times in my life for 28 years now. I've never googled it before or told a doctor or therapist. I kind of like it when a new scab forms and cannot help but pick it off.
Sorry for my typos.
You will LOVE this! Use extra virgin coconut oil on your scalp or any dry problem area. You can find it in the cooking/baking isle in most stores and it's not expensive... You'll find it a little greasy, but It works my sweets... I apply it 2 times a week...  I use a shower cap and lay a towel over my pillow... Its so nice to not have itchy dry skin and will make your hair super soft. Best wishes your worth it! :)
I have a similar problem... I'm 13 and have been picking at my scalp for a while now. My mother told me I'd lose my hair but I brushed it off as I couldn't stop and now approximately 10 or more hairs are falling out everyday. I don't know what to do... I'm really self-conscious and don't want to go bald at the age of 13 but I can't stop
When I was 11, I started picking my scalp. I found it satisfying to have some build up under my fingernails, and I would eat it. Have any of you eaten the scabs too? Not because you like the taste but just because it's habit.
I’m 17 and I do The same thing too. I dont know how a gained the habit of also eating my scabs but I’ve been doing it for a long time.
I have picked my scalp for the past 13 years.  I had a break of 2 years in there where i didnt do anything..   But as a woman i am horrified to go to a salon and get my hair cut and the hair person see my scabs.. so i have not gotten a hair cut in YEARS.   split ends like crazy.. Party of me wanted to just shave my head.  

My head doesnt itch.. But i will run my fingers thru my scalp and if i find a bump/scab i start to pick at it and wont stop till the scab comes out with hair /skin.   Its very disgusting.. when i visit my mom she will watch me and says stop but i cant.   DNA all over the floors.  

I have been diagnosed with OCD/Anxiety.. when i was taking Zoloft it didnt help my picking.. And frankly im not a good drug taker so i stopped taking them after awhile.  Right now i would say i have 6-7 spots that i pick at regularly.  
Hi its Looney Liz again.  i bought a head massaging machine off internet but not much help so far, less sores but deeper and bigger.  am finding carrying a tube of handcream in my bag and massaging it into my hands when tempted to scratch in public does help
The same thing happens to me too. Like my head doesn’t itch or anything but I purposely run my fingers through my hair to find a bump or scar just so I can pick at it. I’ve been doing this for years. I’m 17 and I’ve been doing it since middle school.
I am so glad that I finally googled why do I pick my scalp. I have been doing this ever since I was a child on and off until now and I will be 36 in a few days. I pick so much there are scabs that never heal. When I feel a scab and pick it I have no idea why I am doing it. My head hurts and stings when I wash my hair. When I see the scab it's almost like it brings me happiness or fulfilment, I know  that sounds weird. Also take blood thinner medication so my head will bleed more than someone that is not taking them. I have anxiety and depression. Also definitely have ocd of some sort. I do have a lot going on in my life and I'm sure a lot of you do as well. Any suggestions to help are greatly appreciated. Its comforting to know I'm not alone.
I have the same thing but i never told a doctor because its inbarrasing. Also i have bleeds and scabes thats old i have it since i was 11years old and i am 12years old now i cant stop scratching and pilling my scalp.Another thing i been going through alot and the more i go through it becomes worse and worse i been wanting to tell a doctor or go get checked in but i dont know if i should or should i just take care of myself have a depression problem and going through alot right now and stressing.......
hi everyone, i have a similar issue. i can’t remember when i started picking my scalp but i’m 17 now and it’s becoming a real issue. i don’t have a particular reason for doing it, i just do it?? i always run my fingers over my scalp and if there’s a bump or an imperfection i pick at it until it’s out then pull it out. this usually results in me pulling out hairs as well and it really isn’t pleasant as it can make my head hurt/bleed sometimes. like others who have commented i have depression and anxiety which stemmed from severe ocd that i am still sort of dealing with. i don’t know if this is something due to stress or depression/anxiety as everyone has that in common?
I’m also 17 and I do The same exact thing. Like I purposely run my hands through my hair to find a scab or imperfection just so I can Pick at it. I also Pull it out and it usually does pull some of my hairs out. I dont know how to treat it but i know it’s starting to be a bad habit because now I’m picking to the point where my scalp is starting to bleed because I’ve picked the same spot too deep. I havent been Treated for depression or anxiety but i know there has to be a reason why I’m doing this too.