Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Do I have OCD?

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Do I have OCD?

As long as I can remember, I've felt the need to check things over and over again, mostly locks, until I feel assured that they're how I want them to be. I've also had really obsessive thoughts about things that really bother me and cause me to feel uncomfortable. Many of these thoughts have caused me to question my sexual orientation and are particularly distressing. Also, whenever I touch something that might not be clean, I can feel the uncleanliness on my hands until I wash them. I also check behind myself multiple times to see if I've dropped anything, and I'm restless when I can't check things multiple times or clean my hands after touching something unclean.
  All of these things aren't severely time consuming and don't take up more than a couple minutes of my time, but they're extremely irritating and I'm mocked at times because of them. I'm wondering if they may be signs of OCD. If they are, is it serious enough for me to require treatment?
We can't diagnose you on the forum but in my non-medical opinion it does sound like OCD to me.  There are things that you can do to help yourself but it will take some work.  For the checking, you can say things outloud such as "the door is locked" or the "iron is off" and then when you feel the need to go back you have to stop yourself.  Then you breathe your way through the resulting anxiety with the following breathing technique.

Deep breath in through your nose, hold it for 5 seconds and count this out in your head, then let it all out through your mouth.  You continue the breathing until your heart rate has come back down and you can think more rationally.  

As for the touching things and feeling that your hands are dirty.  You need to do the same thing in that you have to let it go.  Even if you start out small with once one time a day and then breath, that is a beginning.  Then you go on until you are no longer washing your hands.  Of course there are times when handwashing is warranted and so you do it at those times.  

Do you need treatment?  Well, you came to this site so that tells me that while you think it isn't taking up a huge part of your life you are completely annoyed by it so yes, I would say that treatment is a good idea.  My husband used to say to me before we went on trips "We will be in the car, go and get it over with."  

Let us know how you are doing.  

Take care.
Ok I appreciate the advice. I'll make sure to seek help, but for now, I'll try to improve on my own. I'll be glad to get rid of it. Thanks for everything
Also you may want to check out the book The OCD Workbook:  YOur Guide to Breaking Free of OCD.  You can look at it's contents on Amazon before you purchase it to see if it is something that would help you.  Take care and good luck!