Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Do I have tourettes? :-(

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Do I have tourettes? :-(

I have a diagnosis of OCD due to a history of obsessions, and countinual counting in my head, and touching things. Mostly my OCD is 'internal', so people don't notice unless I'm somewhere that makes me very anxious. However, the numbers/counting/touching are now 'externalising' more, and people are noticing. I need to touch and count my elbows a lot, and sometimes have massive urges to touch other peoples (which i try my best not to do unless I know them very well!), I feel the need to put my hands up to expose my wrists to people, twice each time, which again I have no explanation for except to say it's a massive urge. If someone touches, say my hand as they're passing me a drink, I can hardly bear not to touch their hand back until it's even. I have strong urges to make noises when I am anxious, which I try to disguise with a cough, and sometimes to move my head back suddenly, twice, and take a sharp intake of breath, or make clicking sounds with my throat. Sometimes i stare at things or people and blink hard, until it feels right that I can look away. This can be bad if i am in public and continually looking over my shoulder to look at someone 'just one more time'. I have also been scratching the skin on my head and am developing small bald patches, so I now need to wear a headscarf as i can't resist the urge to stop doing it. People notice me doing these things, and it looks like tics. Is it? I can stop if neccesary, they don't do it by themself, but it is difficult to resist the urge,.Someone asked if I had tourettes and now I'm worried I do. I'm assuming (and hoping) that the fact I can stop these things temporarily with effort means it's just a part of the OCD. What do you think?
Yes aspects of that sound like Tourrette's and would be worthwhile to speak to whatever doctor or psychiatrist is treating the ocd as Tourrette's Syndrome can often accompany that and it should be noted Tourrette's is treatable as well but a doctor or psychiatrist could advise you best.
OMG! :-( (stress!)
Well the first step is to find out more information. Besides speaking to your doctor or psychiatrist google "Tourrette's' Syndrome Association". They are very helpful and informative as are their support groups and they also have information pamphlets for people to hand out if people notice their tics and don't know what they are. I know people who have found them to be of use.