Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Does my 3 year old have OCD?

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Does my 3 year old have OCD?

For as long as I can remember and as long as he can do things for himself, I've wondered if my son has a OCD.
If I lift my son to move him to another area for whatever reason, alot of the time he gets very upset and when I put him down, he'll go back to where I picked him up and walk to the 'other area' himself. Also, he constantly needs to be first to get answer the door (even cupboard doors), first to put on a light, first to press the button in the lift, etc... I try to avoid outbursts by explaining in advance that he cannot always be first to do these things. And if anyone else manages to do any of these things first, he'll go back and do it himself (i.e. close the door and open it himself, turn off the light so that he can put it on...). I'm not sure if it's purely a stubborn, srtong willed nature or it is in fact OCD? Any help with helping me understand this and deal with it is most welcome!!!!
Thank you in anticipation! :-)
My daughter first showed signs of OCD at 3 years old. I noticed she would ask if the stove was hot. Whether I said yes or no, she would have to touch it. I did not realize it was OCD at the time. Eventually as she got older she explained she could not control having to touch it. She had begun to show other OCD signs as well. I mentioned her strange habits to my md several times. He realized she needed treatment when I brought her in for peeling hands. This was due to her washing them 30+ times a day. This was at the age of 10. Children have a tendency to hide alot of there symptoms. She is now 14 and has been it therapy. Her therapist also mentioned these children are often the ones with tremendous separation anxiety when young. This is in no way saying your child has OCD. It just means it is always good to mention any concerns with the childs doctor.
i think my brother has ocd. he is 3 years old and if he gets somting new and there is a mark on it he will cry and pull a tantrum.
we have to change his clothes 6 times a day because he gets upset because he thinks they are to wet, to crinculd, or just not right.
when mum is in the car with billy he always has to have the heating on 3 overwhys he crys.
also when my mum picks him up from preschool she has to park in the right place and he always has to run to the car at the right speed.
because i have anorexia i go to a mental health hospital my mum will go to see a doctor soon.
Hi i have a nearly 3yr old she also shows a lot of ocd behaviours, she always wants to be the first to open doors, she will also shut it and open it if someone does it before her. She has to shut cupboard doors and other doors to the point that nearly trapping people inside them. She puts cushions right way around if they are upside down, she also moans a lot if her clothes are wet, mucky, or if something as muck on it ei sofa. Also if something is broken or bent food wise she won't touch it and moans about it. She also has a lot of sensory like sound, sight, and touch, when younger she couldn't touch grass she would sit there and scream if she fell on it as she couldn't cope with the feeling of it on her hands, she isn't so bad now, she tiptoes on certain flooring. Sharon x