Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
How would skin look after being injected by a syringe?

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Hey guys,

What does the skin look like after being injected with a syringe ( forearm ). Will a clear tiny hole be visible on the skin? ( like a enlarged pore or something )

How long will this hole be visible on the skin after injection.

Also how will the skin look if an amateur uses the syringe on it?

Thanks in advance!

P.S: I'm not looking to shoot drugs. Trust me. I just wanna know.
Hi and welcome to the OCD forum.

Since you are posting on here I'm going to assume (and please feel free to tell me I'm wrong) that you are worried you have been injected with something...possibly HIV?  

A needle is going to leave a mark.  It most likely will bleed right after being stuck into your skin.  You will absolutely know if somebody stuck you with a needle.  I reuse a needle at work to poke holes in the top of tinfoil so I reuse the needle all the time.  Sometimes I become distracted and when I'm putting the cap back on I miss and the needle goes into my finger.  It flippin hurts and it bleeds.  

So to answer your question of whether somebody could stick you with a needle and you not know it, the answer is no.  

If you are having irrational thoughts regarding being stuck and the possiblity of getting a disease, let me know and I can reassure you on that front as well.  

Take care.  
Sir, thank you for your response. What you said is exactly true. I passed out drunk on the beach about 2 months back. A month later, i noticed a tiny black hole on my forearm. I don't know if it was there all along or it just appeared. It did not hurt to touch it. But it looked as if somebody had drilled into my arm.

My friend joked that somebody had injected HIV into me. My mind is now totally paranoid.

Sir, will a syringe/ injection leave a perfectly tiny round hole on the skin. Will it be seen even after a month?
No, you won't see  a mark on your skin after a month.  Also, there has not been a case of HIV being transmitted in the way you are thinking.  HIV is a very fragile virus.  It cannot live in the air, on surfaces, or in syringes.  People that are predisposed to anxiety usually take something like what your friend said in jest and turn it into something irrational.  I promise you that nobody stuck you with a needle.  You have absolutely nothing to worry about in this case.  

Take care.  
Thank you sir. I really appreciate you responding. But i checked out many images on the internet for needle marks on the arm and they look similar to the hole i had in my arm. This is what really makes me scared. How else would that hole appear sir?

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?q=needle+marks+on+the+arm&um=1&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=677&tbm=isch&tbnid=zEyWbXZyq7eG5M:&imgrefurl=http://sixthseal.com/2004/04/xylocaine-lidocaine-lignocaine-injection-experience-report/&docid=0DTybTCikX-ChM&imgurl=http://www.sixthseal.com/archive/April2004/needle_marks.jpg&w=400&h=300&ei=BhxWT4PvO4S8rAe9q9GFBw&zoom=1

My hole looked similar to the tiny marks on that pic.

How else could a hole like that end up on my arm sir?
You did say you were drunk at the time.  Isn't it conceivable that you fell and you hit your arm on something and that is where the mark came from?  

Here's the thing.  If this is going to bother the crap out of you for the foreseeable future, then get tested.  A negative test at 3 months is a definite negative.  You have to find a way to get closure on this.  The result will be negative and then you can hopefully move on with your life.  

HIV anxiety is very rampant so don't think that you are alone in this.  Many, many people post about possibly getting HIV from unseen needles.  In the end, they either come to terms with the fact that it didn't happen or they get tested and move on after they get their negative result.  
Thank you sir.

You are probably right. That hole was hopefully a bug bite or an clogged pore or something..I'll move on.

Thank you again for your time...
You are very welcome!  
Sir, but I just went through pictures on the internet for needle marks, bug bites, open pores.

The hole that i had looks very similar to needle mark! It looks almost certain that it was a needle mark!.

Sir, the only positive thing is that, I saw the hole after 40 days.

Is there any chance that the puncture hole would be visible after 40 days after injection. One guy said if the needle was blunt, it would easily be visible after 40 days.

Now i don't know what to do.....
Here are some statistics that I just looked up for somebody else.

In 2009 from CDC statistics there were 23,846 new infections.  Of those 76 fell into the other category...other meaning "hemophilia, blood transfusion, perinatal exposure, and risk not reported or not identified."

These 76 cases represent 0.318 percent of the total infections.  Less than half a percent.  

Those 76 cases repesent 4 different transmission ways.....

Do you see why I believe this did not happen to you?  

Here is the website where I got the data:

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/basic.htm#incidence
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

A last response would put my mind to rest.

I have the following assumptions:

A needle mark made by a syringe needle on the skin would not look like a perfect round hole, right? I mean it will make a puncture mark like a tiny cut but not a clear visible deep black hole like the ear-piercing hole or bug bite puncture.

And there is no way a needle mark (even made by a very blunt needle) would remain on the skin (forearm) for 40 days right?

Sir, if you can confirm these, my anxiety would be put to rest permanently.(However answer honestly)

Thanks.
I don't know what made that mark on your arm but I do not think it was from a needle.  Even when I donate blood which is a very wide bore needle (the biggest I have ever had pierce my arm), I don't have that kind of hole in my arm even the next day.  

Please rest assured that you are fine.  And I always answer honestly :)  
Thank you sir...But somebody told me that if a dull (blunt) needle was used, the mark would easily be visible for over a month. True?

You keep coming back to the same thing.  I am NOT going to say yes to any of your questions because I honestly don't believe you have been poked by any needle let alone one with HIV.  

This has obviously taken over your life and so now you need to take it back by seeing a psychologist.  

You can believe what I say or not but at this point I don't think I have anything more to offer you in the way of reassurances.  

That's not true,the mark would heal very quickly.It would be gone in a few days, if that.
Even if injected by a blunt needle?

And does the content being injected into the skin have any effect of the healing time?
Yes and that never happened anyway.No,the contents would have no affect on the healing process which would happen very quickly.Please accept your assessment and kindly move on.
Thank you.
You're welcome.
I think that the issue here is obv OCD, and not HIV.

You are being haunted by irrational fears, and asking the same questions over and over again, and expecting a different answer. It is very clear to see that you are not able to let this go and that you are going to continue on this circle until something gives, because something has got to give.

Take a deep breath, and relax.

If you are concerened, get tested. It is simple. And then you will have your answer. Also, please speak to your Dr about these fears. If this is the first time you are experiencing thoughts like this, you should seek medical help before you experience this again. There is no shame in having OCD, we are proof that is happens to the best of us.
Thank you but I dont think psychologist can help. I just want the facts.

Can somebody be absolutely certain that a needle mark would never remain on the arm for over a month? Please remember that this would have not been the regular injection at a clinic. It might probably be that somebody sticking a blunt needle into me. No cotton, no alcohol swab, no pressure on the spot after removing the needle, no band aid.

So here it would make a difference to the healing process right? Can somebody clarifiy this?

Also I went through pics of various of needle marks, and my marks kinda looks similar. Are there any bugs that could have caused this tiny black hole on my arm?

The people are the HIV prevention forum are not being very supportive. Can somebody please clarify my doubts. Please don't tell me to go get mental support or ask me to relax. I reallyappreciate your concern but it would be nice if somebody could give me facts

Thanks.
my mark*
use your camera phone and attach a picture.  
Sorry sir, that mark went away from my skin.

My mark looked similar to one of the tiny holes in the third picture on the following page.

http://www.dermhairclinic.com/articles-los-angeles-follicular-unit-extraction/articles-wound-sizes-configuration-body-hair-transplant-wound-healing/
Hi there -

No one here can tell you if any mark on your body is a needle mark.  As people have told you, it is unlikely the scenario you described occurred.  

This thread is closed.  If you would like support and info for living with OCD, please continue posting about that, not the mark on your skin.

Emily

**********  CLOSED THREAD  **********
                               NO MORE POSTS, PLEASE