Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Involuntarily staring at private parts! Help?!

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Hi, I'm 15 years, male, and have self diagnosed myself with OCD, based on the recurring symptoms, such as repugnant thoughts (I've overcome) and the urge to complete something more than once, until satisfaction. However, what is particularly annoying is the involuntary urge to stare at peoples privates parts, whether it be their crotch, breast, or bum. It's not like my sexual drive is forcing me to do this, but I just can't control my sight of vision, I just have to look at it, and It's soo annoying and almost out of control. This effects me the most during my maths tutoring  lesson, as I have a female tutor who sits next to me & I just can't help but to peek to the left of me every so often. I can't control it, and I've even been caught once. Extremely embarrassing. I haven't really told anyone about this particular symptom, as I feel embarrassed..however I will eventually notify my parents, once I feel the confidence to do so.

In the meantime, is there anything that could perhaps alleviate the constant and involuntary urge to stare at peoples private parts? lol
Hello and welcome!

I'm sure you know you can't "self diagnose" yourself.  Yes, you are exhibiting some signs of OCD, and very well may have it, but you need to let the professionals make that diagnosis.

There ARE some things you can do, but first and foremost, you need to seek professional help.  A good number of cases of OCD require professional intervention to get them to a manageable level.  I know it's an uncomfortable subject to approach your parents with, but you really do need to reach out for help.  You certainly do not have to share the intimate details, all you need to say is you're struggling with a lot of anxiety, and compulsive behavior.  Make that your priority..get that ball rolling.  Treatment takes time, so the sooner you start, the better.

In the meantime, you need to start ignoring the compulsions.  It WILL be hard, and you won't always be able to do it, because, in OCD, the compulsions are what decreases feelings of anxiety.  The more you are able to turn your back on the compulsions, the more power you take away from the obsessive thoughts.  Every time you give into the compulsions, you are actually reinforcing that message to your brain that you need to do that.

So, when you get the urge to look at someone's private parts, do something, walk away if you have to, avert your eyes to look on a piece of paper, anywhere but at the body parts.  Also, you can say in your mind, "STOP!!", or "ENOUGHG!!"  If you do that over and over, it will get easier to ignore the urge to look at these body parts.

Also think of it this way.  While obviously, you have no ill intentions, if people catch on to what you're doing, you may get a reputation as being "creepy" or "perverted"...and you may even find yourself in some trouble at school.  If you do that enough...it could be considered sexual harassment.  You don't want that.

So...start NOW by asking for help, and then while you're waiting for your appt, start working on ignoring the compulsions.  Very best of luck to you...please stop back.  The community leader of this forum, JGF25 is on vacation this week.  I'm kind of filling in for her.  She is awesome and knows OCD in and out...plus she is a sufferer herself.  Until she comes back fvrom vacation, browse through the forum and read some of her posts.  You will find a lot of helpful info in them.  

Take care!
Hi. I read your response with interest and agree with you re professional help. However, I always try to inform myself before going to the professionals. I also have an affliction of involuntary staring.... at women's breasts. However, I am totally not conscious of doing it whilst it is occurring. I know as a female friend of mine pointed it out to me over lunch... she just tapped me on my hand and it appeared to snap me out of daydream like state. She said that I was staring at her breasts, but all the time i was carrying conversing with her quite normally. This happens to me daily, but I only realise after the event, when I reflect on it. Is this a known condition? Where can I get info regarding this? Thx.
hi! i have signed up just to reply to your post. i'm 18 year old male, having ocd and have experienced your problems. i just cant avoid looking at private areas of women, including older women and women of my age group. i have also been caught one and it was painfully embarassing to me. besides i also cannot look people in the eye while having conversations. if i do i stare at them. that makes it more awkward.  it *****. thanks for letting me know that im not the only one.