Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Is there a "best" medicine for Intrusive Thoughts?

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

what medicine is best? if any?
Whatever you do, don't ever touch any of those NEUROLEPTICS aka ANTIPSYCHOTICS drugs. The damage they do is something wicked.

Risperdal and maybe Seroquel have been marketed as treating OCD but do not take them, they are EVIL.
hey, the best stuff is a distraction, and prayer, and knowing that those thoughts are not going to take over your mind. when they come, jump up and yell or go jogging, do somthing that takes a burst of energy, get angry my friend! run hard like there is no tommorow, or even go for a walk if you cant run.  visit friends even

thank you...anyone else
Ive been on every medication possible since 14 and to be honest with most of the drugs are evil. I still take some meds but I have learned/am learning to let them come and go as quickly as possible. Change the subject in your brain if possible, if not short term wise valium, should provide instant releif.
its hard sometimes.

intrusive thoughts are really my only problem right now. im on lexapro 10mg and just about to start taking topamax. im nervous cuz i read it causes hair loss.

keep the suggestions coming. i want to ask my doc about strattera and effexor i am SO sick of ssri's
i had horrifying experiences with topamax. Sorry my brains not awake yet so my spellings way off. I know lots and lots of people that have wonderful results from the effexor.
details, please
details??
bumping this thread for more replies pleaes
Why are you taking Topamax?
im not taking it yet, my doc said itd be good for intrusive thoughts
I take lexapro and zoloft.  Trying to move in one direction.  It's so hard to tell if the medication is the issue, or something going on in life.  I'm not thinking that the lexapro is working right now.  Keep workign on it because no one knows what works for  you like you.

God bless.

Pat
thanks..i want to try something with very little side effects.
I know this thread is old but I thought I might put my two cents in anyway.  I take topamax and it does help a lot with the intrusive/obsessive thoughts even though kind of gives me the stupids.  It kind of turns your brain off in a way, a good way.  I take it as a mood stabilizer and it works wonders for me..  Hope that helps.
I have a thought about something someone said to me a year ago or longer, and I still feel sad that they said it and wonder if it is real or not and can't confront them. I want to get rid of the thought, and don't want obsessive thoughts to always be in my head. also music sticks in my head, and I feel worried