Is this OCD?
I posted this on the hiv prevention forum, but maybe from their responses i should have posted this here.

About 6 days ago i went to the dentist to remove a tooth. I saw the dental nurse get a new needle, opened it in front of me. All the instruments came out in sterile packets, even the hose they use to suck the saliva from your mouth was sitting there with a plastic bag over it and i looked at it and it looked clean and new to me.

So no problem i left feeling fine and happy with how it all went, until three days after i get the flu for about 24 hours, so i started to freak out as i am breastfeeding my baby.

Is this a real fear or irrational? My older son did have the flu, so i could have caught it from him.

I know the hose they use was new as it had the package on it, anyway she could have used it on the other patient, then just put the plastic back on it, for some reason the hose has me freaked out!

Do i need mental help. I dont want to stop going to the dentist as its very important to have good teeth.

I feel so suidal over this!
Your fear sounds very similar to mine when my OCD is at it's worst.  Also, with the fact that you recently must have had a child (as you are breastfeeding so I am guessing within the past year or so, just a guess) the hormonal changes often associated with childbirth may have brought on or help to induce OCD.  Many people have a mild case of OCD and don't even realize it.  Hormonal imbalances could worsen it.  For example, around the time for my visitor my OCD always gets worse.  My OCD is concern over safety and health and especially before I sought help I had many many recurrent thoughts such as yours over the smallest of things.  Also during stressful situations my OCD gets worse and I worry over everything.   If you can tell it is going to be a problem and is it interfering with your life then I would seek medical help.  I am not a doctor by any means, but your thoughts do sound similar to mine and I have OCD.  Basically, with the right meds my OCD is about 80% better.  Many people have had then same issue so try not to get discouraged or embarrassed.  Sometime people's heart or liver or kidneys may not funtion correctly and it is the same with our minds.  In fact, the brain is probably the most complex of all organs so don't think it is incable of having issues itself.  The most important thing for you is to make sure you are healthy so you can take care of your kids.   Best of wishes!