Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Memory Supression Phobia

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Memory Supression Phobia

Hello, an incident that happened about a week ago, that I know should realistically be insignificant, is still very much upsetting me and consuming my thoughts and depressing me. I was walking my dog in our neighborhood when we came across what I considered to be a suspicious man walking our direction. I felt uncomfortable the moment I saw him and moved to the other side of the road, immediately thinking of disturbing scenarios that could happen to me (rape, murder, etc.) and as we got closer my dog acted very intimidated as well refusing to continue walking. In my mind I recall pulling on his lead and when he wouldn't budge having to pick my dog up in order to walk past this man and to be polite I said Hello, and he said nothing other than 'Nice Dog', and I said Thanks,  continuing to walk until we passed him completely and I put my dog back down, looking back to make sure he was still walking and not following us and soon after I stopped to talk to a neighbor friend, in which I told of the incident. Ever since, I am having fears that something bad happened and I am supressing the memory of it. I have to continuously rationalize why nothing happened between myself and this man, aggressively or not. I have not been able to walk since for fear of seeing him. I bought Pepper Spray. I tell everyone about how much it creeped me out, in part to validate my memory of what happened. I am a happily married woman completely uninterested in flirting or interacting with other men, with a phobia of other peoples' germs and diseases, so I have no reason to think or believe that I was in any way in inappropriate contact with this man whom I don't know, but I can't stop thinking something must have happened in order for this to bother me so much. I want to just tell myself, this is what happened and move on, but I can't seem to get past this and I am too embarrassed to talk to my usual therapist about it. Please help