Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
OCD About Past

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

OCD About Past

4 years ago there was a night when I raced my car. I drove about 125 mph on a two lane road that narrowed to one lane. Before the road narrowed the other driver slowed and I passed. It wasnt close, however I am haunted by all the scenarios in which I could have gotten killed. What if there had been another car in front of us that I hit. Or what if the light at the end of the road had turned red and I had hit someone in the intersection. What if we werent able to negotiate the narrowing two one lane and our cars collided? I can't get over these anxieties about this event. I have gone through steps of mourning my own death and my family's sadness. I think that a lot of young people drive fast and race and things only go bad once in a while so maybe the chances of me having died weren't that great. However I am really struggling with getting over this event. Any advice is appreciated.
Wow this ocd is really bad i didnt know it could also pop up in all aspects of life. How is your hiv ocd working out? Remember your alive and well now. What happend in the past belongs there now so no reason to be anxious about it. If you keep lookibg back youre facing your back to the future.
Hey there....honestly, if you are going back that far and having a lot of problems, then you need to seek professional help.  If you already have, then make another appointment.  You have several "what-if" statements in your post and those are the worst for people with OCD.  If we could only stop "what-iffing."  What you have to do is remember that we cannot change the past nor predict the future, thankfully nothing happened to you and noone else, and move on.  We are going to have "what-ifs" our entire lives.  

If I didn't have the right tools in place at the moment, the phone call from the Dean of Students at my son's college telling me he was acting irrationally and was taken to the hospital by ambulance would have really thrown me for a loop.  He did something wrong, he paid the price, and I have to let it go...just like you have to let it go.  These choices we make, they could go either way but luckily yours went the right way.  These are all learning lessons in our lives.

Take care.