Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
OCD coping tips please?

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

OCD coping tips please?

I have horrible anxiety..and I had traces of OCD, but after my best friend got sick, my OCD started flaring up and its hard to manage now..first I have OCD with checking locks, things that could start fires..I try to talk myself out of it, and right away an image of something horrible happening to my family pops into my mind and I feel forced to do it, like Im possibly harming them if I dont..I realize how ridiculous this is. Also, if Im doing anything, like texting for example, and anything to do with death pops into my mind..I have to redo what I was doing, replaced with a POSITIVE thought, and I drive myself CRAZY..my best friend is so much better now, but my OCD only gets worse. PLEASE tell me how I can manage this better? Its just not possible for me to see a therapist etc, and Im too embarrassed to tell ANYONE what Im going through..its awful. Im young, I dont want to spend my life this way..thank you in advance
Hi Rebekah.....You have not mentioned how old you are...do you mind telling me because I'm wondering why it isn't possible for you to see a therapist.  

In any case, there are a few things you can do when your stress levels are high and your OCD kicks into gear.  For the checking, you need to limit yourself.  I know it is hard but that is just how it has to be.  When you check the lock, you need to say out loud "The door is locked" and then walk away.  You have to stop yourself from going back.  You need to remember that you said out loud it was locked the first time you checked it.  The same thing goes for the stove, the iron, all the things you are checking.  If you feel anxious because you cannot go back, then start controlled breathing exercises which is a deep breath in through your nose, hold it for 5 seconds and count this out in your head, then let it all out through your mouth.  Continue the breathing until you are calm.  

You have to know that these rituals you do have nothing to do with your family and no harm will ever come to them.  You have only to try it one time to know that this is a true fact.  We are playing the great mind game on ourselves.  

Also, try to pick up the book The OCD Workbook:  Your Guide to Breaking Free of OCD.  You can order it online through Amazon or pick it up at a Barnes and Noble or something like that.  There are coping strategies in the book, worksheets, etc.  You do need to commit to getting better though.  If you don't try the techniques, then the OCD won't go away.  

Also, a lot of people that suffer from OCD take medication but I assume that since you cannot see a therapist then seeing a psychiatrist for medication is out of the question as well.  

Post again if you need anything else.  
Thank you thank you! Ive never even considered those techniques and Im definitely going to try it! The reason I cant see a therapist is partly because Im horrified and no one knows about it..and the cost/hassle for my family. Ive battled with other compulsions and got rid of them somehow, I was hoping with some tips I could rid of it all myself, thank you for taking the time!